month goal?

Options
Soy_K
Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
I really enjoyed reading the thread @LuizH posted on goals. Do you have any short term ones for the month that you're working on? Sometimes I feel like big goals are really impossible for me to even grasp but if I break it down into smaller ones I feel like I'm at least feeling a little progress.

This month I'm working on improving my butterfly kick.

Replies

• trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    To Relearn and practice some forms that I have not done in years so that I can teach them with confidence.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Belt graduation is on the 18th. If my boys and I can nail our current kata in the next 2 weeks, we'll be able to move up from purple to blue belts. We know all the moves, but just have to make it more confident and sharper.

I've started writing down a couple monthly goals and looking at them every day. My hardest current goal is no shopping for me until after Christmas (unless it's a necessity). Looking at them every day helps to keep me on track.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I just finished a really big goal, and I'm starting a new one - I have a lot of immediate goals I'm working on this month:

1 - Endurance. I need MORE.
    2 - Left round kicks - I want to be able to throw them as well as I do my right.
    3 - Flexibility - ... getting close to my old PB!
    4 - Weight - still slowly dropping. No Specific # goal for the month, but keep going in the right direction.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Sounds weird but I feel like a month is too short for most of my goals, especially as they related to tae kwon do.

I need to improve my form when roundhousing to the head.

I need to make sure I'm hitting with my heel when doing thrusting kicks.

I need to get better at spinning and making sure I'm on the ball of my foot.

I need to make sure I'm keeping a forward momentum at all times as I have tendancy to "pull back" for things like axe kicks.

So, a lot of my goals are more general improvement.

My fitness goals are a bit more long term as well, and more aesthetic than just raw numbers.

I like the idea of a monthly goal though. Pick one thing to work on for a month. I have belt testing and my birthday in roughly one month exact. But what I want to attain by then just isn't possible.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Sounds weird but I feel like a month is too short for most of my goals, especially as they related to tae kwon do.

I need to improve my form when roundhousing to the head.

I need to make sure I'm hitting with my heel when doing thrusting kicks.

I need to get better at spinning and making sure I'm on the ball of my foot.

I need to make sure I'm keeping a forward momentum at all times as I have tendancy to "pull back" for things like axe kicks.

So, a lot of my goals are more general improvement.

My fitness goals are a bit more long term as well, and more aesthetic than just raw numbers.

I like the idea of a monthly goal though. Pick one thing to work on for a month. I have belt testing and my birthday in roughly one month exact. But what I want to attain by then just isn't possible.

I have a handful of goals that I'm working towards each month, but I pick one to focus on each month. (I write them out on the first day of each month in my planner and then literally highlight one. I look at the list every morning, so I'm mindful of all of them each day, but also focusing on the one.)
  • Faiz031
    Faiz031 Posts: 81 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I think having a larger goal with it divided into smaller goals to make it realistic is the best way forward.

My initial goal is to reach my ideal weight, right now on blue belt taekwondo, and aiming for the next one in few months.

So far, I tailored a plan and have lost nearly 10kg in a few months, another 7-8kg to reach my ideal weight :)

As for taekwondo, I did kickboxing since age of 13 and got very used to it's style, so learning a new style like taekwondo is difficult due to natural response from kickboxing. But if I can nail both down it will be great.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    LuizH wrote: »
    Last month my goal was to lose 7lbs, which I just about managed :sweat_smile:

This month my goal is to pass my 1st kyu (final brown belt grade) and I'd like to drop another 7lbs before the madness of Christmas parties starts in December.

More fun goals - I've got my roundhouse to head height (I accidentally kicked my son in the throat a few weeks ago and he's a good foot taller than me - I'm way prouder about this than a caring mother should be), but I'd love to increase the power in my high kicks. I also want to try and do straddle-splits, I've never managed it before but I'm about 1 inch off the floor on my stretchiest days

so awesome! lol about your son :D:D
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Congrats, @LuizH!

And that's what family members are for! ;)
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My short term goal is to master my form, regardless of distractions. I have it down but lose focus and mess up when there's activity in the gym bleachers. My Chon-Ji turns into Ki-Bon Hana and back again after I catch myself.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Valsgoals wrote: »
    My short term goal is to master my form, regardless of distractions. I have it down but lose focus and mess up when there's activity in the gym bleachers. My Chon-Ji turns into Ki-Bon Hana and back again after I catch myself.

Ahhh, the infamous Chon-Bon form!

What I do to really cement a form is to practice 8 times, using all 8 points of the compass as my starting points (N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW).

This accomplishes 2 things... it makes sure that I can do the form starting in any direction, which removes relying on visual queues for turns, and it makes those turns as mileposts for knowing what comes next, so a lined segment becomes a set combination, and I am much less likely to divert into a form with a common move.
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks BW. I do practice in multiple directions but not 8 times in a row. I usually alternate between the two when practicing on my own.
  • shadowbaby4
    shadowbaby4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm just recently reaching the skill level in judo where I'm realizing how incredibly many things I need to improve, but I don't know where to start and it doesn't seem like there are enough years in my life to ever master these things. I thought I wanted to focus on getting my left-side techniques up to par with my right, but I also want to find time in class to practice some variations on basic throws that I learned at a clinic today. I need to strengthen my quads and core, which I thought were okay until I had to lift someone much heavier today and ended up bringing us both down on our faces.