Black Belt - Destination, milestone or pivot point?

Options
If you are on the journey to Black Belt (or your art's equivalent), do you see it as an end goal?
(i.e when I get black belt, that's the best I can hope for, so I'll probably go join a Zumba class)

Or maybe it is a pivot point?
(When I get Black Belt, I'm going to change to a different Martial art!)

Or... just a milestone?
(This is a life long journey... this may be a big milestone, but just the first of many).

If you already have a BB - What was your outlook before achieving it, and how did it affect your goals after you tied it on?

Replies

• LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My goal right now is black belt, but I have always been told that 1st dan is the start of learning karate, not the end. I have a feeling I will want to rethink my goals when I do get my black belt. I know lots of people who have reached that goal in the last 2-3 years and almost all have stepped back for a short time, I would say about half have decided that they have reached their goal and never really returned, while the rest have come back after a month or so away.

I can't imagine being a karate kicking grandma, but I have noticed that a lot of the people I train with look significantly younger than they are, so if it's going to keep me young I would be crazy to give it up.

I threaten my son sometimes that I will give up karate and go to Zumba, he tells me he can't think of anything I would enjoy less :D
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    @luizH lol at zumba!! :D
    I hope that you make it to karate kicking grandma. Just FYI - my mom is 75 and she stopped tae kwon do lessons 2 years ago because her knees hurt - but was kicking up until then!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Milestone. I'll expand on that in the morning. I have a lot to say about this!
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Milestone. I got my black belt and was fully intending to continue until the day I died. Marriage derailed that train but now I'm back on track
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    As of right now, my goal is to make it a milestone. I'm watching some of the ladies I'm training with get their second degree black belts along with their teenage kids and I'm inspired to never stop.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Milestone. Once I hit black belt that's when I get access to the special training classes and fight in the more serious divisions.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Wow, Great question! It was originally a Destination like most I think. Then about halfway through my training I knew that getting the Belt would not be the end and it became a goal/Milestone. When I finally reached my Black Belt it was a very emotional experience not only because I had reached a goal that I set for myself, but because I also watched my son get his the same day. It was then that I learned I was not done and that a black belt does not make you the baddest dude in the room, it means so much more. It means I didn't quit, It means that I'm one of a relatively small group of people that can they are Black Belts, It means that I am worthy and my Instructor believes in me, and so much more that I can't put into words. It was also a Pivot point in that I am now the instructor running my own school, my own way, with the assistance of my son.

I recently received my Second Degree and it was more symbolic than anything, My instructor has told me and anyone that will listen that I am the best teacher he has ever worked with and was proud that I wanted to start my own school. So much so that he has closed his public classes and only works with Black Belts now to keep us fresh. He sent all of his students to me (I trained with most of them anyway).
  • HeliumIsNoble
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Oh, I forgot about this! @bwmalone - "that's the best I can hope for" is brilliant wording. That is exactly how I used to feel about 1st kup, never mind 1st dan! It wasn't that I considered training to beyond 1st dan pointless (as some people do), it was that it seemed literally unachievable.

Sorry, this is all very tl;dr but I've thought about what a black belt means to me for a long time.

What black belt means seems to be different from martial art to martial art, and my thoughts reflect the TKD as it is taught where I live. With that proviso neatly out of the way, I shall now proceed to bore you all to death. You're welcome!

My attitude towards what a black belt represents has changed a lot over the years. I now see it as a milestone, but not necessarily in the same way as anyone else.

Like everyone else does I guess, I started martial arts with the perception that having a black belt made you invincible and you had to be Bruce Lee standard to get one. I never really got rid of that conviction as a teen, how ever many times I was told it was a milestone. I knew better, right? :smiley: Every time I passed any belt test, I always felt like a fraud, to be honest, and I could not understand what my instructor saw in me.

Over half a decade later after the last time I'd trained, I had a bit of an epiphany. I was tutoring a young man in a language that I'd studied at high school/university, because he'd lately moved from an area where no schools offered it, to my part of the woods where some do. He'd always wanted to study it at university one day, so he'd been teaching it to himself at his old school. This is where I came in. I was his first live human being he'd had a chance to get feedback from, and he asked me what level of language course he should be enrolling on in the new term. He had the choice of starting on beginners, higher beginners or lower intermediate. This lad was a-may- zing: he had a natural ear for languages, and passion enough to get to a reasonable standard solely on his own, so I said lower intermediate, progressing to upper intermediate the year after. He'd expected to apply for higher beginners, so he was horrified.

Now, he thought he should do the beginners because he only had a full grasp of 70% of higher beginners material, and he felt he needed 100% on that to be ready to progress to the higher class. I completely agreed that he only had a full grasp of 70% of the material, and said that was precisely why he should do lower intermediate.

My 'professional' opinion was that if he did the higher beginners course, he would be surrounded by students at a far lower standard than him. Conversation with them wasn't going to push him, and the work was going to be pitched at bringing unenthused teens up from the beginners' standard up to the level he had already reached. I thought it unlikely he would fill in that 30% gap over the nine months of the course. On the other hand, I thought that within six months in upper intermediate, with engaged teens at his level and beyond, he would fill in that gap and more. To be frank, the idea of seeing this brilliantly gifted linguist held back from his dreams in an inappropriate class was physically painful.

And that's when my epiphany about belt-tests came, and I 'got' everything anyone had ever said to me about reaching black belt. Suddenly I was on the other side of the grading table, if you see what I mean. As I explained my reasoning to that wonderful young perfectionist, I realised that my old instructors were just as passionate about teaching martial arts as I am about language teaching. Their vocation was to help students to become their best selves, not to act as gatekeepers for belt tests for the sake of keeping black belt classes prestigious! Part of good teaching means moving people onto higher material, even when they don't think they're ready, because you can see that they're not being challenged enough where they are, and you want to help them achieve their true potential. Were my beginners' coloured belt forms the best that they could be when I got moved into the upper coloured belt class, way back when? Hell no. Were they pretty good? Probably, yeah.

Did they get better more quickly after I'd started training with the higher grades? Hell yeah.

Was I any good at sparring to start with? Nope. But I wouldn't have magically learnt how from spending a few more months just hitting focus mitts.

Having a black belt is popularly perceived as a status symbols of hardassedness, but some of the most humble, kind people I have ever known were not just black belts, but black belts of the fourth degree and higher.

So, for me, my black belt is a milestone and not the status symbol I once thought it would be; but it's not one to indicate how much I've learned or that I had no more to learn in the coloured belt classes. It's a milestone to mark that my instructors decided that I was no longer reaching my current potential from solely attending the coloured belt classes and I'm ready for the black belt syllabus. Then visiting Masters agreed that I'd earned it.

I am still not Bruce Lee standard, and almost certainly never will be, but will I improve through more time sparring 2nd Dan black belts? Yep!

Are my coloured forms good? Oh, definitely Will they become better as I learn the black belt forms? Yep!

P.S. That young man? The high school languages department agreed with me 100%, by the way and my old lecturer refused to let him waste his time in the beginners class. :smiley:

Here endeth the essay.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    @HeliumIsNoble - thank you for sharing - I read every word, and enjoyed it thoroughly!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Here's another TL:DR.... but for anyone who wants, here is(was) my take on it.

When I started Taekwondo, I remember my first instructor asking me what I wanted to get out of it... and I didn't understand what he was asking. After all, why ELSE would someone want to learn how to 'fight like that'. I think I said something to the effect of "Well, to learn how to fight, I guess" - and he told me that it was only for Self defense, I agreed with him, because I was worried that they wouldn't let me stay if I didn't.

When he asked what belt I'd like to get to, I remember distinctly saying "... I think blue belt should be good enough. By then I should know how to fight pretty well."

Now mind you, I had no clue how long it would take to get to blue belt... how much work it would be, or how good of a fighter I would be, but in my mind at that time, a blue belt was good enough to get out there and kick some butt.

In short - I really didn't care about a black belt.. I wanted to Beat People Up... I wanted to do it with efficiency, and to be able to walk away without a scratch and leave my enemies in a broken and bloody heap behind me.

Something changed along the way... Long before I reached blue belt, I gained the confidence that I was sorely lacking, and in being humbled daily in sparring practice, I somehow lost the desire to be a bad ase... and by the time I got to Blue belt, I was really a different person - all I could think about was how much I wanted to keep doing this... for the rest of my life.

Black belt stopped being a "thing" when I made that realization.. It was a goal, and one that I would no doubt someday achieve, but it was at that point just a foregone conclusion, because I never wanted to quit.

Someone who got to black and quit.. well, they Have a black belt. Probably in their closet, gym bag, or maybe hanging in a trophy case somewhere. It is a possession... a symbol of something they did in the past, much like a diploma, or a stuffed animal head on the wall... something to look at, something to remember, or to tell stories about, or just a conversation piece. They came and had a goal in mind, and once they achieved it, they were done... and I guess that's OK.. it was what they felt like they wanted/needed to do at that point in their lives.

But I didn't want to HAVE a black belt... I wanted to BE a black belt, and to me, there was a significant difference between them.

• HeliumIsNoble
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Agreed. Like many other things, the difference between 'having' and 'being' a black belt was explained to me first time round as a teenager, but I didn't get it. *rolls eyes* Like I may have said elsewhere, I got to 1st Kup, started my adult life and... training stopped being my first priority, I thought I'd got as good as I was going to get. I now know that wasn't true, but what I also didn't realise was how fast unpractised skills wither and die. I thought it was a choice between staying the same skill level, but making time for training, or staying the same level and having time for other commitments. I picked door number 2.

So, turns out that life doesn't work like that. Obviously, after ten years away, I was not at my old standard, and I had to put the work in all over again. So, this time, it doesn't matter how unachievable 2nd dan seems right now, I'll probably get there, because I will be training week in, week out to remain worthy of my 1st dan.