New Belt, starting assistant leadership team again.

Options
Geocitiesuser
Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
Tested for my "high red" belt which is a red belt with a brown stripe. Just brown, high brown, and bodan before black now. I did great at the test.

Sometimes I think I suck at sparring, but I actually go compete. So when I spar people at tests that aren't competitive I'm also kinda shocked. He was a red belt but I'm pretty sure I could have both blasted him into another room, and not let him hit me a single time if I wanted. Obviously it's not about that, and I played nice, but it was a good reminder that the effort I put in does materialize, I just have to stay confident.

Three more months of hwa rang.

Starting next week I start helping with classes again. We'll see how long my body can keep up with the punishment. I'm basically a big muscle with a bunch of loose skin at this point, but my energy levels are kinda dragging. I'll be assistant leading two days a week in addition to my normal six classes a week I take, in addition to the 7 days a week weight lifting and cardio I tend to do. Truly, I am insane in all of the best ways.

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    just another random thing. The more I do forms, the more I see they are useful. It's a bit like karate kid. You do repetetive movements over and over, and seems pointless, but it's all fight stances and fight moves. You're building the muscle memory to defend yourself even if it doesn't seem like it. The more advanced forms also condition your body in unique ways. Wax on, wax off, my friends.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your test! You are entering an exciting phase of training for sure!

And - two thumbs up for your observations on sparring and forms. Both are spot on.

Well done!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Congrats.

I was a bit confused at first because in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu red belt comes after black (but it is usually referred to as coral.)
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new belt! All progress is exciting but it gets more exciting the closer you get to black!

I love forms. They are easily my favourite part of martial art
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    When I started Doing TKD I HATED forms, Now that I have my own school I find that doing forms teaches so much more that just practicing a technique.

Congrats!