Geriatric Uterus, Excuse me?!

Options
RhiannonBecks
RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
Hi All,

I thought id give a quick introduction, I am Felisha, 35y7m, Married just over a year and my husband and I are trying to TTC (only on month 2, so, just starting out). I don't really have any medical issues outside of some long standing malabsorption w/vitamin deficiency & Anemia.

So 3 months ago when I had my IUD taken out, as I am sitting in the waiting room reading some random magazine, I saw an article about "Geriatric Uterus"... (of course, they are referring to me - over 35, trying for the first time!) I didn't know if I should laugh, or pick up my jaw.

I have heard, of course, AMA, but GERIATRIC UTERUS? So I asked my AMAZING midwife, should I be worried, you, know, now that I have a geriatric uterus? She just about fell off her chair laughing, she said "Sweetheart, I am 40 and let me tell you, I am FABULOUS, and I imagine your uterus is too!". lol

Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting medical description. Glad my midwife is so awesome though, bc when this geriatric uterus DOES conceive I know I will be in good hands.

Any other 'Geriatrics' TTC? :smile:

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Not technically, but I had to comment because the title made me laugh!

Also, I work with a bunch of scientists, so basically most of my co-workers went to school forever and ever and in my work place it seems like 40 is the average baby making age for women. It seems quite able to happen for alot of older women with"geriatric uteruses" so try not to get too worried yet.

Also, this not so geriatric uterus (29 years old) took 10 months to figure it out......age is just a number..... ;)

Good luck!
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Aren't medical labels delightful? Not quite got a geriatric uterus, but did get labelled with 'failure to progress' during my last labour. Felt like I'd failed some kind of school exam! Lovely.
  • artgalchitown
    artgalchitown Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am medically referred to as "Advanced Maternal Age" because I am 35. The terminology is ridiculous!
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am medically referred to as "Advanced Maternal Age" because I am 35. The terminology is ridiculous!

Yes!! I knew about AMA going into it, which still MAJOR EYE ROLL...but I get it...but when I saw geriatric uterus I was just taken back! haha.
  • mholderr
    mholderr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Geriatric uterus is one I have honestly never heard (as a midwife myself) but my most hated term for AMA is “elderly primagravida” *roll eyes*
  • mjmorris77
    mjmorris77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My pregnancy is considered geriatric. Lol. I’m 40
  • RealityCheck2
    RealityCheck2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Over 40 here, and wishing there were more realism and actual medical science being shown among those we are trusting with the privilege and responsibilities of being trusted in the process of providing care, as well as those who are supposed to be community in respecting the actual medical knowledge nd other needs being met by informed choice and consent. Like so much about our cultures, the labels in medicine need a re-haul to eliminate uneducated misogynistic rape culture based inaccuracies that are leftovers from a medieval medical age we don't live in anymore. There's no reason for women who are capable and interested in conceiving to bear the burden of such a biased, uneducated and discriminatory slur - well, unless supporting ignorance and misogyny are good reasons to leave things as they are... Adam Ruins Everything got hauled out for viewing recently, and I really appreciated how it changed the conversation about who "should and shouldn't" and when and or why. It's frustrating, damaging and supports a toxic cultural bias for professionals to continue to allow such misinformation to be continued, and for the majority of people to be encouraged to continue to mistakenly believe it's "better" to have children when you're younger (and healthier, goes the assumption). *eyeroll I am not a funny person, and this is a sensitive topic for me, so, I'll just slip someone else' ability to use humor into this, and hope all of you "still youthful because we chose to be through self-care" human equals to enjoy. <3https://www.themarysue.com/adam-ruins-pregnancy/