Introduction

Options
blairf83
blairf83 Posts: 33 Member
Hello! Just found this group after a visit to my new endocrinologist. I've had some serious health struggles this year... First a thyroidectomy due to cancer back in May. My old endo was terrible and content to leave me feeling super low energy because my labs were "perfect". I packed on roughly 25 lbs before i self adjusted my medication and went on the hunt for a new doctor. In September I underwent a hysterectomy (everything but the ovaries were taken out) and was on restrictions (nothing but walking, no heavy lifting) until January 1st. Needless to say, it didn't make it any easier to keep weight off. I think the only reason i didn't gain more than I did is I lost ALLLLL my muscle and replaced it with blubber. So I'm back working through my Couch to 5k app, going to yoga (just went to my first harder class two nights ago. I'm so sore but it;s what I need to do, clearly), and just added strength training back in. I've taken off about 10 lbs since the start of the year working out 6 days a week and eating a bit more mindfully.
I saw my new endocrinologist today and LOVE her. But she said the meanest words. She said that more than likely between the hysterectomy and thyroidectomy, my best shot at taking weight off is ditching carbs as much as lowering my calories....
Carbs. Are. My life.
I'm a lazy cook. I live alone so making ornate recipes seems silly, I am on a limited budget, so I do a lot with potatoes, pasta, etc... A LOT.
Tomorrow is my last hurrah and then onto the straight and narrow. My first plan is to make a cauliflower "mac n cheese"... I'm not looking forward to me because the times I've lightened mashed potatoes by substituting half cauliflower, I have ended up with absolutely horrible painful gas.

Replies

• R_O_X
    R_O_X Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, sorry to hear! I would recommend you get help from a Nutritionist or Naturopath, they’re trained to support people who need to go on specific diets such as low carb diets for weightloss. Or if you can’t afford it, try recipes from websites such as ditchthecarbs.com. They have a few vego recipes that taste good.