Options
Geocitiesuser
Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
v8uuU85.png

Replies

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Not ridiculous - that kick is pretty legit!
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yea that kick is very impressive1
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    woohoo!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    The best part is, I've never trained with a sword a day in my life XD
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    @Geocitiesuser Does your dojang offer Gumdo lessons?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    There are a few who practice it, but they are all masters, so I'm not sure if it's a "inner circle" thing, or a "4th dan and up" thing. Or it might even be a demo team thing.

Color belts do nunchucks, then black belts do nunchucks and bostaff.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Aha - I grew up in a dojang that was completely no-weapons, leading from the philosophy that you can't carry them on the street, so are a waste of time for self-defense purposes... (mine was a fairly heavily SD influenced school).

I have always been a fan of sword, and staff though... I know a *little* about nunchaku, but that is self-taught.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    nunchaku are dumb. Sort of like a yoyo, they are only a "weapon" if you are exceptionally skilled with them.

Bo staff training is pretty reasonable for practical self defense IMO. Unfortunately there is a big emphasis on the demo aspect of TKD. Being able to do flashy kicks and do flashy nunchuck moves has a monetary value as a show skill.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My boys and I are currently training with nunchucks. My issue is that they are illegal to possess in NY. My 7 year old has illegal weapons in his karate bag. So, there is NO way I could use them in a self defense situation, as I'd be in trouble for using them. (Of course, right now I'd be more likely to hit myself in the head than to hit an attacker.)
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    In modern Western life, land of the combine harvester, where no-one works on the fields harvesting grain with anything like a rice flail, I've always thought of them as a way to visibly test and improve your co-ordination, thus improving your athletic abilities in general.

You (and everyone else watching) know you've got it, when you can use wooden ones really fast without knocking yourself out.

I... have never got to this point. I have some foam ones from a previous life and used to do the drills sloooooowly and carefully at relevant belt tests. Fortunately, current school doesn't do nunchuck stuff.
  • trackercasey76
    Options
    The school I train in as well as the one I run, train with escrima sticks simply because I have never seen a sword or chucks laying around on the street but if I have to defend myself I almost certainly can find a stick.
  • trackercasey76
    Options
    Bianca42 wrote: »
    My boys and I are currently training with nunchucks. My issue is that they are illegal to possess in NY. My 7 year old has illegal weapons in his karate bag. So, there is NO way I could use them in a self defense situation, as I'd be in trouble for using them. (Of course, right now I'd be more likely to hit myself in the head than to hit an attacker.)

Yet one more reason I'd never live in NY. They'd really frown upon the 9MM in my pocket right now...
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    The school I train in as well as the one I run, train with escrima sticks simply because I have never seen a sword or chucks laying around on the street but if I have to defend myself I almost certainly can find a stick.

This I find applicable... sticks or stick-like objects can be found in many places where you might need self defense... the only issue I have with it is unless your attacker has a weapon, you run the risk of aggravating any legal ramifications just for having it in your hands. (i.e. if your attacker tries to punch you and you hit him with a stick... suddenly you are the aggressor in the eyes of the law).
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    I didn't realize they were illegal to even possess until I read that and did a quick google.

That really makes no sense. They are everywhere, and we use them in public demos. We even have a nunchuck requirement for our black belts.

Interesting.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize they were illegal to even possess until I read that and did a quick google.

That really makes no sense. They are everywhere, and we use them in public demos. We even have a nunchuck requirement for our black belts.

Interesting.

NY says I can order and posses any number of razor sharp weapons from the martial arts catalog, I just can't order foam covered nunchucks. We also have a nunchuck requirement for our black belts.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Yeah this is crazy. I know a few people who have "real" metal and wood nunchucks as well.

NY is dumb. Sometimes I get really annoyed living in a blue state. The most harmless things are illegal, and I live in an area with some of the highest taxes in THE NATION. (seriously, the corridor between NY and MA has insanely high taxes).

A couple of years ago they were trying to make butcher knives illegal without a permit.... can you imagine the insanity? Are we going to ban heavy rocks too? :\
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    Has any criminal ever used nunchucks to carry out a crime? They seem like a poor choice of weapon to me. But then they would, given that I'm pants with them...

http://injury.findlaw.com/product-liability/nunchucks-and-the-law.html has some detail about the NY ban.

Last time I checked in depth (when I purchased a set in 2004!) they were legal in the UK for home practice, practice in a club, and for transport to and from training. You can't run around waving them in public, but that seems reasonable enough to me.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    > 1. Nunchucks are "widely used by muggers and street gangs and ha[ve] been the cause of many serious injuries"; and

Maybe in that lawmaker's wildest imagination. Are we going to ban baseball bats? Because those seem to be the weapon of choice for most street gangs. Hammers as well.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Options
    Can you imagine a mugger coming up to you with nunchucks and demanding your money?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Why are our politicians living on a different planet?
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options