Introduction, and question about working out

Options
justjenny
justjenny Posts: 529 Member
Hi mamas. Hope you all are feeling well. I just tested positive over the weekend. Just scheduled my first appointment for the 22nd. I have a 3 year old, and this time last year, I has a miscarriage. Praying all goes well this time around. With my first pregnancy I only gained 22 pounds. Hoping to keep it about the same this time around. Since my first pregnancy, I have been doing more HIIT workouts. Does anyone know if you can continue doing them throughout your pregnancy?

Replies

• dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    pretty sure that hiit is not recommended because it requires you to go all out and causes all your oxygen to go to you and possibly not the baby. but ask your doctor to be sure.
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would def check with your doctor first, I have read before that if you were active beforehand there is no need to decrease that, but again, that was probably in some magazine and I have zero references to support that.

My friend was an avid long distance runner and also did some significant lifting, she did a majority of the same routine up until about month 8, at which point she was just too tired to continue doing so. I know her doctor told her no typical abd workouts (sit ups, crunches etc) she continued to do planks working on her core (doctor approved); even after slowing down her running & lifting and swears this helped delivery!

Good luck & congrats to you & your family.
  • justjenny
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I ran up until the day before my first was born, so I am thinking it maybe okay since I have already been doing it, but I will definitely as at my first appointment.
  • Kfont42
    Kfont42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I talked to my doctor's office today because I do a lot of workouts at the gym, and I was told to hold off and "take it easy" until my first appointment (January 23). She said walking is good, but to avoid anything strenuous.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    It's going to be different for every pregnancy! I was working out before getting pregnant with my second, and didn't have any complications, so I was cleared to do most of my usual workouts (including HIIT/circuit training with modifications - stayed away from most ab exercises and movements that included a lot of jumping around). Midwife basically said to just listen to my body and don't push too much. I ended up working out until the end the of the pregnancy, and thanks to MFP kept my weight gain to 23 lbs, so it's definitely possible again! Good luck, and congrats :)
  • kellirina620
    kellirina620 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Jenny! I'm also pregnant with my second, have a toddler (2yo) and am post-miscarriage (October) - reach out if you ever feel like chatting! :smile:
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also pregnant with my second (8.5 weeks), my first just turned 2. I also had a miscarriage last Christmas. I am an avid exerciser and have continued with all my usual workouts (sprinting, cycling, rowing, weight lifting, kettlebells, etc), I just listen to my body and if I need to drop the intensity I do. My OB and fertility expert have always told me I can keep doing anything I was doing and to just listen to my body. I am no longer racing, but i have many team-mates who kept up sprinting races all through their pregnancies. With my first pregnancy with my now 2 year old I was exercising wayyy more than I am now, but it's more challenging these days with a 2 year old and life demands, I have to do my workouts at 4:30 am and that can be really challenging some days with the fatigue and nausea. I'm greatly looking forward to the second trimester.
  • justjenny
    Options
    Thanks all. I started bleeding the other day. I had worked out pretty well the night before. I did a 20 minute HIIT and another 15 minutes of abs. I went to the ER that night thinking I was having a miscarriage. They did Sono and blood work. Found no signs of an ectopic pregnancy. They saw a sac, and my cervix was closed. They said it may just be pregnancy bleeding. I haven't had any cramping, and the today was the first day with no bleeding. I had to go for blood work to check my levels today. Will find out the results tomorrow.

Do you think there could be a connection between the working out and the bleeding? Today was the first day I wasn't really active.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There are just so many reasons why bleeding might happen while pregnant. I randomly bled from weeks 5-8 with my daughter, and my OB never did figure out why. I didn't bleed at all with my son, and his pregnancy was the one where I was exercising regularly. Definitely take it easy until you find out more though! Hope you get good news tomorrow <3
  • justjenny
    Options
    Thanks Marie. That is so weird that they never figured out why. That is where I am right now. Fingers crossed for good news today.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    There is no connection between miscarriage and exercise. That being said I would 100% freak out if I had started bleeding during any of pregnancies and attributed it to all the things I had done, just try and relax and take it easy. I did have a miscarriage last year, but it was a missed miscarriage, no bleeding, and full blown pregnancy symptoms despite baby having passed. The miscarriage was discovered by a routine ultrasound. During that pregnancy I had been taking it very easy because I had felt so unwell. During the pregnancy with my son 2 years ago I was working out INTENSELY. Looking back at it now I don't know how I did it... 2-3 hours of high intensity cardio and strength training a day. I had zero complications with his pregnancy and a super easy delivery.
  • justjenny
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Levels dropped from 1000 to 200. They think it already happened. What is strange to me is that when I was at the hospital they checked my cervix twice over 8 hours and both times it was closed. Back again tomorrow for more blood work.
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    So sorry! I lost twins this past August. It was so difficult for me. I just found out I’m pregnant again and am hoping for the best :disappointed:
  • justjenny
    Options
    Sending prayers and baby dust your way Brittney! <3
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thank you, you as well!