Class and Practice Check in, Week of 1/1/2018

Options
As martial artists who are also members of a WL and fitness website, it can be helpful for us to remain accountable to each other, and share training ideas.

Any time you participate in class, or practice out side of class, post here and let everyone know. You can write something as simple as "Went to sparring class... got my licks in", or get into as much detail on the practice as you'd like.

This post gets rebuilt every week, to remind us to approach each practice/training/class with a fresh perspective:

- Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

Replies

• thecraigferguson
    thecraigferguson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Tuesday January 2. BJJ and Judo. First day back on MFP as well.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    heading to the first class after a really long break. i started weight training this week (for the first time in my life) so i am really sore. i know this class is going to suck but it has to happen!
  • shadowbaby4
    shadowbaby4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Between storms, holidays, my Sensei having surgery, and my partner breaking her foot, I haven't had a solid judo class in weeks, but last night I got in a bit of a workout and hopefully things will settle back to normal so I can squeeze in some more training before my competition in February!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Thursday was double Jiu Jitsu day!!! During the holidays (and extended through the whole of January) our team mma sessions in the morning become open mat for anyone who wants to join. Less people are getting there now as most are heading back to work (whereas my break from work is only just starting) and I am a month away from the next competition so this is perfect for me. As it will probably be often in the next couple of weeks, it was me and the mma team boys (basically those who fight pro or high level amateur) which means they are great for me to roll with as I learn loads! 10 six minutes rounds without a break is killer (but the guys did an intense warm up before that as well - I may join their warm up on some days!) Evening class was great, working deep half sweeps and a good long roll with my friend who is also competing. Coach looses track of time when he is rolling so rounds go on for a while...

In the last couple of weeks, I and my friend noticed how my game has changed. I am a lot calmer in bad situations and also better able to escape them. I find myself thinking more than just reacting. Coach commented a couple of times yesterday how he has noticed the improvement in my game as well.
  • tmlashta
    tmlashta Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    did some light sparring last night for the first time in ages!
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Sat morning fundamentals working on a butterfly sweep which I love!!!! and a quick roll before I head off for work. Can't wait to be off next week and capitalise on training!
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Two and a half hours of Jiu Jitsu this morning. Looking forward to the rest of the week...
    Rolled with a karate black belt who is relatively new to Jiu Jitsu and doesn't have the strength of most of our mma guys and was pleasantly surprised at how easy I found it to tap him. He is not a weakling by any means but I'm used to rolling with mma monsters who have insane strength and better Jiu Jitsu skills than me. It was great to see my skill work against a guy for a change!

I roll mostly with one of the other girls and it's getting harder and harder for us to tap each other because we know each other's moves so well, but it's still beneficial (and loads of fun) to train with her.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Had a great black belt class yesterday - almost 2 hours of conditioning, sparring, and 1-steps work. We have 2 candidates prepping for test in a few months, so we're working hard to get all the details of their technique ironed out - overall a great experience, as high level training goes, and a good warm up to my own testing sometime this year (date TBA).
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Take downs was the theme this morning and I'm happy to discover I am over my fear of them and was ready to go with all of the boys. They tend to beat me everytime, which is good in the fact that I get lots of practice of getting taken down to prove I'm OK with it. Now to get the taking them down part right!

Signed up for a sweet deal whereby I pay my gym fees for the whole year, get one month free and best of all 5 free private sessions with coach!