Children are super picky eaters

Options
I'm trying to do low carb high fat but my children are so picky. It is so hard to say eat what I fix or you don't eat. I've heard that advice. No one wants to eat food they don't like. I'm looking for some kid friendly and LCHF ideas that everyone in my family will like.

Replies

• squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Once when I was a kid, we were having pizza for dinner and I felt like eating something different so I told my mother I didn't like pizza. That didn't work lol. I think kids are picky for lots of reasons, but I don't think they truly hate as many foods as they think they do.

My rule will be (my first kid isn't eating solids yet) you must try the food on 3 separate occasions before you can say you don't like it. And it must be prepared the same way for each time. Ex: you can't claim to dislike spinach by eating it prepared 3 different ways.
  • clawson91
    clawson91 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my teenager. He used to eat whatever I prepared. I got lax over the past couple of years due to taking care of a family member with Alzheimer's. Now trying to get him back on board. I'm starting with preparing simple foods like grilled chicken, salmon, burgers, etc. and a side of steamed broccoli. He likes these things so it hasn't been too bad yet. Breakfast is no problem as he loves boiled eggs, bacon or sausage and could eat it everyday. I also make pancakes or waffles using Kathleen's Cottage Pancakes recipe. https://fountainavenuekitchen.com/kathleens-cottage-pancakes/ I fix them on the weekend and pop them in the toaster oven for a quick breakfast. My big problem will be pizza night. I've tried the fathead pizza dough (which I love) cauliflower crust, using almond flour but so far he doesn't like any of those.
  • clawson91
    Options
    Here is another good recipe...my teenager has no clue it is cauliflower instead of potatoes!
    http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/low-carb-twice-baked-cauliflower-531560
  • clawson91
    Options
    OK...one more...this is cooking in my crock pot as I type
    http://www.stockpilingmoms.com/2016/02/crockpot-butter-ranch-chicken/#_a5y_p=5323952
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    How about preparing a non-keto version or side dish for the kid to eat? I know a gluten intolerant, low carb mom who still buys and prepares carbs for her sons. She just makes sure she has an option also.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I find that their tastes change very often too... as do I mine. I hated asaparagus until about 6 years ago and I'm pretty new with avocado too! I always suggest they at least try, because "tastes change" and things are different when prepared in different ways.

Often their term "I don't like that" also includes food they might not be "in the mood for".

I had one picky eater, one not so picky. I have always refused to cook separate meals, but recognize a few true dislikes... so I would only have fish for supper on nights that there were other leftovers they could choose from if need be. These are the options, take it or leave it (but I also know there are always one or two things that they like)

Offer as much variety over the long term as possible, keep trying, depending on age try involving them in planning or preparing - it makes a big difference! Don't cater to every whim and don't make a big deal about whether they eat or not. Snacking can also be a huge culprit of making meal times a struggle. Just keep at it! Their tastes will either expand or not, but they usually do as they age and lots of time, it is "just a phase"
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Sorry... those weren't actually food ideas since I don't know what your family actually likes or doesn't! Keep it simple, offer up a meat, one or two different veggies, maybe a sauce on the side to go on top and a carb.... Make sure at least one or two of those options fit the bill for the majority of people. It's how I feed my non-lowcarbers :smile:
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    cgcrutch wrote: »
    How about preparing a non-keto version or side dish for the kid to eat? I know a gluten intolerant, low carb mom who still buys and prepares carbs for her sons. She just makes sure she has an option also.

This is what I do ^

My kids seem to run best on pasta, whole wheat bread etc. along with their protein, fruits, veg and dairy.