Having a bad few days - tips needed!

Options
Hey all,

I'm writing here and I hope you don't mind, I just need some tips If anyone has any.

I've had a few rough days and I'm really struggling. I'm trying to get back on track but does anyone have any tips to stop emotional eating? It doesn't happen all the time and I wouldn't say it's a problem or disorder, it happens when I've had a bad day and I just want some comfort. Which I guess is normal but not when you are trying to lose weight.

I'm back on it today but I just want next week to be much stronger.

Help!

Replies

• 2nelune
    2nelune Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I'm writing here and I hope you don't mind, I just need some tips If anyone has any.

I've had a few rough days and I'm really struggling. I'm trying to get back on track but does anyone have any tips to stop emotional eating? It doesn't happen all the time and I wouldn't say it's a problem or disorder, it happens when I've had a bad day and I just want some comfort. Which I guess is normal but not when you are trying to lose weight.

I'm back on it today but I just want next week to be much stronger.

Help!

That’s a tough one, but I know I’ve struggled with it before. Some things I’ve tried (though they don’t always work) is to substitute something. For example, I’ll substitute food (eat a healthier option or drink a carbonated beverage to feel like I’m getting filled up) or I’ll substitute an activity (get on the elliptical or read a book). Sometimes, I give in but I’m very conscious about it and portion/weigh my food out so I still feel like I’ve gotten what I wanted without regretting it. It can definitely be a struggle though.

• sammarie_
    sammarie_ Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Try to get out of the mindset that food will make you better. So much easier ‘said than done’ but remember how you’re feeling now, refer to goals, drink a cup of tea, try to meditate (insight timer is a free app ranging from 2min to 1hr) etc

I observe the thought of wanting to eat when I’m down and let it pass. Food is fuel. If you put the wrong petrol in your car, it may still drive but not as effectively as when you put the right gas in. Same with emotional eating. It will make you feel better momentarily but you won’t run/function to the best of your ability.

Sending hugs xx
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I struggle terribly with stress and anxiety and routinely turn to food, so I know how you feel. I have a few things that I use to take my mind off it; adult colouring books are fab, I also have a dot to dot book for adults which is great because it don’t even have to think about it. I’ve recently started a bullet journal which requires a lot of concentration as I’m now naturally creative! I find that if I can find something to occupy my hands and mind I soon forget about food.
  • TravelBear87
    TravelBear87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone, I feel much better. I've stuck to my calories today and I'm feeling good about it :smile:

I'm definitely going to try all of the tips suggested.

It's so silly but I get down about being heavier and not in the best shape. I compare myself to 4 years ago and then get sad and then eat??? I mean where is the sense in that. I feel down about being heavier and then eat! Grrrrr!

I'm going to have a Diet Coke now as I am craving something sweet!

Thanks everyone, hugs! X
  • PNWBethany
    PNWBethany Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone, I feel much better.

It's so silly but I get down about being heavier and not in the best shape. I compare myself to 4 years ago and then get sad and then eat??? I mean where is the sense in that. I feel down about being heavier and then eat! Grrrrr! X

Oh my, I 100% identify with this. The comparison to years gone by, the feeling down about your current size, and the food cravings. I even compare myself to 4 years ago, too! Same time frame. And I compare myself to others - that's always a losing battle, isn't it?!

I haven't been able to figure out emotional eating yet, but I just wanted to offer support and say you are SO. NOT. ALONE.

I'm glad you're feeling better today and I think it's also very commendable that you notice when this hapens and - even better - you reached out for support! ☺
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Hey @TravelBear87 I just saw this thread today and wish I had something to offer you other than my support. As @PNWBethany says, you are Not alone! I have the same struggle. I gained about 20 pounds a few months ago when going through a health scare. I spiraled into depression and ate anything and everything. I eat when I'm sad, depressed, happy, bored, etc.

I'm working to change my view on food. It is fuel to sustain my body. It can be enjoyable, but does not have to be. I know eating will not change my emotions and any joy I get from eating is short lived and often outweighed because of the consequences.

Hang in there and view food for what it really is... just fuel for you to go workout and sustain your body.
  • alvarezadriana968
    alvarezadriana968 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @TravelBear87, I focus on running when I hit the emotional part of eating. I've been in an abusive relationship and it helps me focus
  • TravelBear87
    TravelBear87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :smiley:

I'm feeling much better and so happy I posted because all of your comments have really helped.

Back on it today feeling more confident :smile: