Class and Practice Check in - Week of 12/11/2017

Options
As martial artists who are also members of a WL and fitness website, it can be helpful for us to remain accountable to each other, and share training ideas.

Any time you participate in class, or practice out side of class, post here and let everyone know. You can write something as simple as "Went to sparring class... got my licks in", or get into as much detail on the practice as you'd like.

This post gets rebuilt every week, to remind us to approach each practice/training/class with a fresh perspective:

- It doesn't matter how hard you worked yesterday... what matters is what you do today.

Replies

• Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm super bummed. I hurt my foot November 18th. (Bone bruise on my 4th metatarsal tripping over a picnic basket of all things.) It was better last week, so I went the weekend without wearing the boot they gave me and doing a little more walking. Everything felt fine until my feet hit the ground this morning.

At my checkup this morning the doctor said at least 2 more weeks in the boot and no karate until at least the first of the year.

My boys advanced a belt level without me and are enjoying outranking me a little too much. :) I'm going to classes and watching everything they're learning...hoping that I can catch up quickly. Their current kata in with nunchucks, which is fantastic because I can practice at home without using my foot.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Heal fast, @Bianca42 ! Bone bruises are never fun - and good luck with the nunchaku - it's a fun weapon to learn, but watch out for the face-block technique!
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I have very painful memories of practicing with nunchaku and conking myself on the back of the head so many times I couldn't brush my hair for a week!!

I got my home kata practice in today. I am aiming for at least one kata practice session per week
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Forms practice last night went well - decided to work in reverse from my normal progression through the forms, which turned out some interesting results.. Some techniques that I usually have a harder time with were quite easy, while uncovering other technique issues that I didn't realize existed!

#AlwaysSomethingNew

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I don't generally post on this weekly thread, because i think it would be a bit boring for everyone else. My suspicions weren't unfounded, as it was announced tonight in class that I had been registered as attending more sessions than everyone else over 2017, at... 155 sessions.*

So just pretend I posted 155 times, eh?

I've always said there are three ways to get to black belt and beyond:
    a) natural talent;
    b) hard work at home, or;
    c) attend as many classes with as many different instructors as possible, and see xhat rubs off on you.

Method (c) really works!

*It's at least three more days than that, because they won't have included one of the sister schools I inflicted myself on over summer.

• Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I did my last Saturday class for the year. It was great! Everything revolving around kata. Inverse and reverse katas got my brain ticking; bunkai also dusted off some cobwebs in my brain; then ippon was also very cool. I did not want to leave and was still so energised afterwards that I went for a 6km jog! Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    We had a pretty small class last night, it tends to tail-off a lot the week before Christmas because we cut down on the sparring so that nobody spends Christmas injured. I was awarded member of the year so I had to do some sparring against the girl who got the runner-up trophy - she's a fast, high kicking 13 year old and she's just made black belt, it was really good fun to fight her but she makes me feel my age! (She beat me, but only by wazari)

Two classes left before Christmas - beginner's hour tonight and one-off seniors only night on Thursday. I hate having time off karate, I'll be climbing the walls by the time we're back on 8th January!
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    monday i did an hr each of weight training, handstands practice, and acrobatics. yesterday i did an hour of weight training in the morning and 2 hours of wushu at night. i'm about halfway into learning the movements of the elementary straightsword form but i'm still feeling rusty and creaky from holiday break! today i have boxing in the morning and acrobatics in the evening.