Building strength

Options
Nightgrl1980
Nightgrl1980 Posts: 14 Member
edited January 2018 in Social Groups
Just starting to get back into boxing after awhile off from it and more recently recovering from an injury. I’m curious about how you split your workouts throughout the week. Are you guys doing separate workouts of lifting or other strength training in addition boxing/mma classes and how many days are you doing of each? I’m currently thinking of boxing classes 3-4 days/week plus 2 HIIT classes per week. Not sure if that’s enough strength training? Looking to build muscle and continue to box.

Replies

• Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I started weight training Jan1 - 5 days a week for 1 hr sessions. I usually do 2-4 hrs of wushu per week and 2 hrs of acrobatics per week, 1 hr of handstands training. Since I'm new to weight training - I'm REALLY sore. From what I understand from the trainer - building muscle bulk has a lot to do with your diet (enough protein) and how heavy you are lifting vs lighter weights doing lots of reps? Definitely listen to your body as far as healing from your injury and giving yourself time to heal properly! Are you going to a physical therapist?
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I incorporate my strength training into my training sessions, basically as intervals between other MA related activities, or at the beginning of class.
    Generally I train solo 4-5 days per week (depending on how I am feeling, recovery wise), plus 1 weekly class.
  • Nightgrl1980
    Nightgrl1980 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Soy_K and bwmalone-

Thanks for the insight- Very helpful! As far as the strength training - do you have a set weight routine/workout? Anyone following a particular program (like stronglifts or something similar?)

And to answer your question- Yes I just finished 5 months(!!) of physical therapy... I am maybe 80% recovered now, but told that in over the next 6 months I can expect some additional recovery.

Thanks again!
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've been going to a circuit training class so the coach there helps to determine what weights I'm lifting/how heavy. I really have no clue how to determine it myself :P It seems like there's focus in areas each day - legs one day, back/glutes another, arms another, etc. I can take pic of the board he writes stuff on today. I hope you heal up quickly!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    My lifting, cardio, and martial arts are all treated as separate entities.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    My lifting, cardio, and martial arts are all treated as separate entities.

That is a very interesting approach.. Do you find benefit for it, or are you keeping them compartmentalized to make it easier to measure progress?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late response, but I believe I absolutely benefit from it.

Each "compartment" trains a different aspect of my fitness.

TKD specifically trains explosive cardio (HIIT), core balance, and obviously kicking + flexibility.

Weight lifting specifically trains strength in all muscles, especially those not typically worked otherwise such as shoulder, traps, etc. This helps to build a more well rounded physique.

Cardio builds cardiovascular health and stamina for day to day living. A walk to the store is a breeze when you're conditioned to walk an elliptical an hour most days.

They are to me the three pillars of physical health: Sport, strength, and endurance.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    In general, I’ve noticed that my strength and stamina increased substantially when I started training BJJ. I used to run and do some body resistant exercises but now when I go for a run, it’s easy.

Now for adding strength, I do kettlebells. I would like to do more running /sprinting or mountain biking for increased endurance, but it’s never going to compare to a night of grappling.