Does skin firm up after time? What have you found?

Options
katematt313
katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
I have been obese for a long time (now I am "merely" overweight). I have lost 60 lbs in the past year, and my skin has not rebounded as much as I would like, especially in my abdomen, upper thighs, and biceps areas. Do you find that time makes a difference when it comes to skin tightening? I have heard some say it does, and others say that they stay flabby no matter what. I'd like to hear from you about your experience.

Replies

• SvennsDream
    SvennsDream Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have the same questions as you -- and in the same areas of the body. I've lost 95 pounds and have 50 to go. I'm 51, so this is an uphill battle. Here's what I'm doing, although I cannot say how effective any of it is or will be:
    (1) I eat avocado, coconut oil, and other healthy fats daily. (2) I massage into my skin after every shower or swim an oil blend from the health food store marketed to pregnant women. (3) I massage coconut oil into my skin at least daily, sometimes twice. (4) I stay hydrated. (5) I wear a soft bra to bed. (6) I avoid GMOs, factory farmed meat, processed food, etc. I choose whole, organic foods. (Regular good eating stuff.) (7) I walk several miles nearly every day, and take a kickboxing class 3x a week. Hmmm... yeah. I guess I'm super concerned about the skin issues. Actually, I'm terrified. What do you do to encourage healthy skin?
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have been scrubbing in the shower, then following with a collagen/elastin moisturizer (St. Ives brand), which I rub in pretty well. I was also told that discrete, repetitive movements to the area (crunches, other similar exercises), help out.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I have got loose skin hanging under my triceps where the fat used to be. Also the skin under my chin is not firm. I am 46 years old so this doesn't help. I really, really don't want these ugly bat wings forever. They hide the muscle I have built, and look gross! Aaaahhh!
  • MariaSymonds
    MariaSymonds Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A cream for stretch marks is generally good. I have heard other people say that brushing your skin to increase circulation works too.

I have been taking coconut oil. This had made a difference to my skin. Eaten that is. But I do user it on my face too.
  • ck1227
    ck1227 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, eat good whole foods, exercise and i use a cream from young Living and noticed a difference or rather improvement after 6 weeks of use. I will have my skin normal one day on my tummy again!! I have tried so many different products over the years. Time also helps : )
  • eydiemarie62
    eydiemarie62 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and so my skin doesn't bounce back like it should. I'm new to MFP, but what I was told to try from my doctor was to add CoQ10 and an Omega 3 supplement daily. My skin quality is improving everywhere. Hopefully since the quality is seeming more youthful the elasticity will follow also. I'll keep you posted.
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thank you EydieMarie for the supplements info. I am 10 yrs older than you and know it will take time because of the loss of elasticity with age- but it is not forever. I am accepting the results of losing 50 lbs this past year with tolerance because it is healthier for me to be at my present weight despite the excess skin. I have a lot under my arms and on my inner thighs with not as much a problem with my abdominal area. I do think over time there has been some diminishing though probably because of stubborn fat and redistributing of fat. I want to weight train and build muscle strength and tone now. Any recommendations for how to do that would be appreciated a lot!
  • lkhadivi
    lkhadivi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    eydiemarie62, how much CoQ10 and Omega 3 are you taking daily?
  • ekashif
    ekashif Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    magnesium cream really helped me after I lost 60kgs.
  • melissasargentthompson1
    Options
    Where do you find magnesium cream?
  • MSonica25
    MSonica25 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting and I don't mean light weights. Don't be afraid of heavy lifting. This will help with the sagging skin.