Class and Practice Check in - Week of 1/22/2018

Options
As martial artists who are also members of a WL and fitness website, it can be helpful for us to remain accountable to each other, and share training ideas.

Any time you participate in class, or practice out side of class, post here and let everyone know. You can write something as simple as "Went to sparring class... got my licks in", or get into as much detail on the practice as you'd like.

This post gets rebuilt every week, to remind us to approach each practice/training/class with a fresh perspective:

- Do today what others won't, do tomorrow what others can't.

Replies

• shadowbaby4
    shadowbaby4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The judo community in my area is miniscule, but tonight another group drove over an hour to join our class! We had an amazing time. The kids got to switch up partners, and I paired with a dear friend who wiped the mats with me! It was the best class I've had in awhile. I so rarely get to go 100% in randori.
  • thecraigferguson
    thecraigferguson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have stuck to my calories for the last two days (first two days really since I fell off the wagon uickly this year.)

I competed Saturday for the first time in a year. 2-1 in an open belt absolute. Beat a purple belt 18-4 and submitted some poor white belt in 30 seconds maybe? Lost 0-2 to an old training partner who has been a brown belt for like two years.

I can’t train tonight because I suddenly have a cold.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Had my first class last night after five weeks off for injury recovery. (Plantar fasciitis compression socks for teh win, guys.) Was going to wait another week just to be absolutely certain I was ready to phase back in, but I had to adjust my proposed recovery schedule after finding out that:
    i) the annual in-house form competition is a month earlier than last year, and;
    ii) the summer black belt physical+sparring test is a month earlier too (long story short- all existing black belts participate in this bit unless ill/on holiday, etc. It probably sounds strange to people from other clubs, but there are good reasons for it, and it works brilliantly.)

It was fun. Had to take a bit of time out in the middle to do my stretches when I started getting twinges but it's the next day now, and I don't seem to have done myself any further damage. I have been missed, apparently (how? They've been seeing me 2-3 times a week during the kids' classes!) :blush: and I am under strict instruction from the boss to be careful. :smiley:
  • Jus_gem
    Jus_gem Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Back on the mats tonight. I've only made two classes since new year... That definitely wasn't my goal!
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Monday - BJJ open mat because the professor was gone. Jacked up my shoulder while posting out about 45 minutes in...
    Tuesday - BJJ class - shoulder still hurt but trained through it and it actually felt a tad better afterwards
    Thursday BJJ - positional sparring for over an hour! Both shoulders now hate me (maybe one day I’ll actually go to the orthopedic surgeon to find out what’s up lol)
    Was going to do KBs tonight but I think my hubby and i might go line dancing instead (a first for us)... so I’ll plan to do KBs tomorrow morning
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    monday: weight training 1 hr am, handstands and acrobatics classes 2hr pm
    tues: weight training am, wushu 2hrs class pm
    weds: weight training am, acrobatics 1 hr pm
    thurs: weight training am, wushu 2 hrs class pm
    fri: heading out to weight training and will take the evening just to slowly review forms. just finished learning the movements of beginning straight sword form and now i'm trying to make it better and faster.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    @Dory_42 Awesome - and that's what competition is about - becoming the best you that you can be!

I'm beginning to think you won't be wearing white much longer.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my Saturday class. It was a good workout and an opportunity to fine tune my basics. We have two new students that have just started and, being the highest ranking student in the class I was working with one of the newbies and tried to give her as many opportunities to grasp the sequence we were practising. So more instruction than being instructed. I still learned and grew so that is a win all the way. The advantage of a small class is that when I did have a few turns my sensei immediately pointed out things for me to work on. Hats off to sensei!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Black belt class yesterday - we did a fair amount of sparring in the beginning, which was a good time as always, then on to board breaks. I worked primarily to help others that are testing this year dial in their breaks.