Class and Practice Check in - Week of 1/8/2018

Options
As martial artists who are also members of a WL and fitness website, it can be helpful for us to remain accountable to each other, and share training ideas.

Any time you participate in class, or practice out side of class, post here and let everyone know. You can write something as simple as "Went to sparring class... got my licks in", or get into as much detail on the practice as you'd like.

This post gets rebuilt every week, to remind us to approach each practice/training/class with a fresh perspective:

- Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

Replies

• LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    In hindsight it was a bad idea to train last night, I felt like I was getting a cold before class but I went anyway. It was a fairly easy class - reminding the junior grades of the basics they've forgotten over the holidays and starting some grading prep with them ready to take their yellow belts in March. We had a bit of sparring at the end to loosen everyone up and I ran through some katas with the 3rd and 4th kyus.

By the end I was feeling really ropey and it was all I could do to get myself home to bed! Hopefully it will be out of my system in time for kobudo tomorrow :mask:
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Kata class last night and was surprised with a promotion to blue belt. (We were supposed to be promoted the day I hurt my foot. My boys were promoted without me while I took 8 weeks off to heal. I wasn't expecting it until testing day on the 20th.)

The kata we're learning is with nunchucks...extra points for not hitting myself in the head. :)
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Congrats, @Bianca42 !!
  • LuizH
    Options
    Yay! Congratulations @Bianca42 :):):)
  • LuizH
    Options
    I had an epiphany last night in sword class, I always struggle with katana/bokken because I'm so short. Last night my friend lent me her wakizashi which was probably 6 inches shorter. It was so much easier for my short arms to control! I've been put off buying a katana because I hate doing the techniques but I could be tempted to buy one of these if I can find somewhere that sells a blunt blade.

No karate for me tonight, I still have some form of plague!
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    First class of the year for me. It was awesome! We did 1000's club - 1000 arm techniques - followed by some basic deflections. I can't feel my arms!!! Otherwise I feel great! !!
  • mvmazz
    mvmazz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great idea. Last week was the first real week of no interruptions classes after snow days, holidays etc. An hour technical class on tuesday, sparring hour thursday, sparring based class on Friday and 1.5 hours sparring yesterday.