Really confused how Fibit and myfitness pal work together

Options
Good morning,

I apologies if this has been covered before but I'm just getting incredibly frustrated.

I've synced Fitbit and myfitnesspal together and I'm incredibly confused how they work together.

Today for example:

Goal - 1350
Food - 1388
Exercise - 116 << I think this is coming from fitbit
Net = 1504

However my remaining calories = -154

Can anybody explain this to me?

Thank you so much for the help. I've read through some articles but it's just not sinking in. I feel like giving up with the fitbit but I really don't want to.

Replies

• AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Weirdness - when I looked at mine, Net = Food Minus Exercise, not plus. jds7iefxq01q.png and then when I subtract it from Goal I get calories left..

• AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Oh wait - I was reading somewhere else that it may be based on what you set your activity level for, mine is set at sedentary, so it subtracts all the exercise, if you have it set to active the calculations are different and I can't help - because I'm so not at that point yet, LOL
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Seeing that you posted this in the morning, you obviously hadn't moved much at that time. Because of that, MFP gave you a negative adjustment that assumed you would remain that inactive all day and would burn 116 calories fewer than your maintenance calories. I'm sure as you're reading this reply you have turned the negative adjustment into a positive. It's common for most people to wake up and have a negative adjustment from Fitbit and it's nothing to worry about.
  • kellyclarkson1990
    kellyclarkson1990 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ahh okay. I'll keep an eye on it and try understand :)
  • maddog1769
    maddog1769 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You'll get it it after a while, it takes some getting used to and figuring out, I for one find extra exercise does NOT mean i get extra calories, at least when i am trying to lose weight,with maintenance a little, exercise is great and makes me feel good, but for weight loses its a non issue
  • v_ludwig
    v_ludwig Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had over 11,000 steps yesterday but My fitness Pal only said 2656. What the heck!!! Not happy. Anyone else having a problem with syncing?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You have to set your MFP account on sedentary for it to be more accurate.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    No you don’t. No matter what activity level you choose, as long as you have negative calories enabled you’ll end up with about the same total amount. I always had mine on lightly active because I felt better starting off with more calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Also, activity level selected on MFP has no bearing on steps displayed.

That's just a figure that syncs over - no math done on it.

The aspect of picking Sedentary over higher levels comes into ease of adjustment for eating goal at night when you stop moving.
    But MFP is still estimating until midnight at higher level, but Fitbit will correct that next day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    No you don’t. No matter what activity level you choose, as long as you have negative calories enabled you’ll end up with about the same total amount. I always had mine on lightly active because I felt better starting off with more calories.

At the end of the day, sure.

But with MFP on active, I was always 'losing' 200 calories from 8pm to midnight, because MFP assumed that I would be as active during that time, which I'm not. With MFP on sedentary, my calories left are pretty much right on point with what I really have left (and what Fitbit tells me I have left too).
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I personally do not like having my Fitbit link to MyFitnessPal because the calories changing throughout the day really mess with my mind. LOL. I just use my Fitbit to log my steps and to track my sleep. I do everything else on my fitness pal.

When it comes to exercise I only logged intentional exercise on mfp to get exercise calories. So when I do a workout or take the dog for a hike, I just manually log it and calculate my exercise calories that way.