Why lose calories when I workout?

Options
kr415
kr415 Posts: 1 Member
Hey everyone! On my FitBit Blaze, I synced my device of course, and when I workout, it does not add my calories, but it says minus calories. I am confused. If I am working out and burning calories, why is it adding them to my calorie count? Sincerely, new user who is lost :smiley:

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe because you have mfp set to active ore highly active when you are in fact sedentary.

What is you mfp set to?

Mine normally has negative exercise until I walk around a bit or go to the gym.

Or do you have plus 200 exercise for example, then go to the gym and then have negative 200?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You need to look at actual figures to determine what may be up.

Best to learn now.

Go look at that Fitbit adjustment (app press and hold, web click the "i") and look at more details.

What's the time of last sync the math is based on?
    What's the Fitbit calories?
    What's the MFP estimated daily burn calories?

Did you manually log a workout on MFP?
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I hate the negative calories! If you set MFP to think you're Active and you don't burn enough calories to meet that criteria, it records negative calories, which makes planning meals a real bear.

Set MFP to consider you Sedentary, then it'll only add calories to the total you can eat for the day, not take them away. Sometimes it will add quite a number of calories, but I do find it easier to eat more at the end of the day than to give back calories I've already eaten!
  • Merkavar
    Options
    DrJanet98 wrote: »
    I hate the negative calories! If you set MFP to think you're Active and you don't burn enough calories to meet that criteria, it records negative calories, which makes planning meals a real bear.

Set MFP to consider you Sedentary, then it'll only add calories to the total you can eat for the day, not take them away. Sometimes it will add quite a number of calories, but I do find it easier to eat more at the end of the day than to give back calories I've already eaten!

In sedentary you can still have negative calories, especially in the morning or if you slack off all day:P

I don’t really have an issue with it

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

You can still get a negative adjustment on sedentary, provided you aren’t at the 1200/1500 calorie floor. Sedentary accounts for a few thousand steps, so if you have a sick or rest day you will be given the appropriate amount to keep your deficit the same.
  • DrJanet98
    Options
    Yeah, but if I were home sick in bed all day I probably wouldn't be worrying about eating and calories anyway. For 99.9% of my life, this works well.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    Yeah, but if I were home sick in bed all day I probably wouldn't be worrying about eating and calories anyway. For 99.9% of my life, this works well.

But negative calories make perfect sense.

If your active you burn more and can eat more.
    If your inactive you burn less and eat less.
    Think of it less as negative exercise and more of just an adjustment to your calories.
  • DrJanet98
    Options
    I *want* the calories to reflect how active I've been, I just want to be able to plan ahead. It makes a lot more sense to me to have a minimum number of calories I *know* I can eat, and then to be able to eat extra based on what extra calories are burned by exercising. If I plan on a 2000 calorie day, and then the program decides that no, I'm not actually allowed to eat that dinner I'd planned, or even already started cooking, because suddenly it's taken away a couple hundred calories, then there's no way to go back and un-eat what's already eaten, or un-cook the meal.

Before I changed my baseline, the negative calories sometimes didn't show up until after I'd already eaten dinner and was heading for bed, too late to try to add in more exercise. No way to un-eat the calories. With the baseline set to "Sedentary" I can plan on eating that many calories, but if I'm active during the day, the extra calories generally show up in time for supper, or possibly a bedtime snack. Much easier to add extra food!
  • Merkavar
    Options
    I *want* the calories to reflect how active I've been, I just want to be able to plan ahead.

But they do reflect how active you have been.

If you set your account to active, and are sedentary, the base calories + the exercise adjustment is how active you are, the exercise adjustment will likely be a negative.

Similar if you set it to sedentary and are actually active, except the exercise adjustment will be a large positive.

Do you resync your fitbit often? Cause I haven’t magically had a negative adjustment appear during dinner, if I synced before dinner.

I think you just need to get a feel for how active or inactive you are cause there seems to be no best answer for being able to plan ahead.

Set to sedentary and you will find at the end of the day you likely have surplus calories

Set to active and you will likely have negative calories.

Turn off negative adjustments and you may be over eating with out knowing.

• elvis14blue
    elvis14blue Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Is it true that if you move your arms doing something it will count at steps? Because if so, thats not good because I would not being doing steps all the time. Its very confusing? And does it matter how much you weigh? I have lose 50 pounds since August?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If the impact is enough, it can count as a step.

But if you look at the distance and resulting calorie burn given to such steps - it's minimal.

Worst one I've seen is 10 hrs in bouncing truck, even small distance/calories adds up in that case.

Since distance and speed and weight is what results in calories burned - yes weight matters.

So hopefully you've been updating your weight on Fitbit stats.
    If so, then it's accounted for in many ways.
  • DrJanet98
    Options
    I usually have the opposite problem, I'll check my watch, do fifty steps, and then check, and it will have only added twenty steps. Do you have it on your dominant or non-dominant wrist?