goals check in

Options
Soy_K
Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
new year's resolutions to work on for 2018?

Replies

• Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Get back to black belt level
    Get back to my cheerleading flexibility
    Get back to my pre-mom weight

Essentially taking back my life and my future
  • Soy_K
    Options
    mine: i really want to land an aerial cartwheel this year. this is the year.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    1) Properly recover from all the little niggly injuries I've accumulated over the past year so I can go back to class.

2) Get back to lowest 2017 weight.

3) Kill [bleep]ing, [bleep!] verrucas so I can go back to class.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Lose all the weight I put on over Christmas and then start working on the next 30lbs I want to lose before the end of the year!

Start working on my Japanese terminology for my written black belt exam

Get my fighting and one-step up to black belt standard (my weakest areas)

Don't ask Sensei when I'll be allowed to do my grading! (He hates this and he's been known to make people wait longer to teach them patience)

January goal is just to get back into the gi I was wearing in December (oops - I enjoyed Christmas break a bit too much!)
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    1) Catch up to the progress my boys made while I was injured.

2) Work on punching upwards. When I spar with someone taller than me (most people now that I'm sparring other adults) I find myself always aiming at their chest and never towards their head.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Lose the extra holiday weight and get below the 300 pound mark for the first time since 2006
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Reach goal weight (4lb to go).
    Perform a minimum of 5 pullups in a row (2 to go) - preferably much more.. but injuries have set me back numerous times so taking it slow.
    Pass my 5th Dan test.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    - Lose 15 pounds to drop down into the Light-Feather class for BJJ comps.
    - Earn my first stripe on by Purple Belt
    - Master the Turkish Getup
    - Get on the podium as a Purple Belt (and not by default)
  • Soy_K
    Options
    briteyes wrote: »
    - Lose 15 pounds to drop down into the Light-Feather class for BJJ comps.
    - Earn my first stripe on by Purple Belt
    - Master the Turkish Getup
    - Get on the podium as a Purple Belt (and not by default)

what is a turkish getup?
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Soy_K wrote: »

what is a turkish getup?

It’s a kettle bell move. You start laying on your back, holding the bell up, and you slowly maneuver get up on all threes all while holding the bell up; eventually you come up to standing, then you reverse it all back down to your back.

It’s a tough move with a lot of steps, but is very beneficial for BJJ
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    my goals are quite different now
    1) stay active, cant do martial arts for the next few months, so need to focus on my other sport hobbies
    2) have a healthy weight gain

January and February goal, since I did not do any sport over the past 3 months, to increase my stamina on the elliptical and swimming from 15 mins to 1 hour. go for 2 to 3 pilates classes a week. Overall do 30 mins to 1 hour a day of light exercise.
  • mvmazz
    mvmazz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Get back to lightweight.
    Train hard and compete well.
    sit my last two gradings before blackbelt
    Study korean terminilogy
    Keep working hard and enjoying my training
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I reached my January goal of getting back into my favourite gi, and lost 9lbs in the process :smiley:

February goal is to start increasing my exercise again now that I'm over all of my winter bugs. At least 30 mins of exercise every day for February should be easy enough to achieve, and I want to lose another 6lbs over the month.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    LuizH wrote: »
    I reached my January goal of getting back into my favourite gi, and lost 9lbs in the process :smiley:

February goal is to start increasing my exercise again now that I'm over all of my winter bugs. At least 30 mins of exercise every day for February should be easy enough to achieve, and I want to lose another 6lbs over the month.

Awesome job on your reaching the January Goal!

I reached my goal of catching up to my boys after taking a 7 week break due to a foot injury.

I'm still working on punching higher, but I've been sparing with some taller guys the last few weeks and that's helped.
  • jenmck5
    jenmck5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I am new to this group, but it is what I have needed. I am a 3rd degree black belt in traditional Tae Kwon Do. I have been on this journey for 10 years. I am currently an instructor at our local dojang. (This does not allow for a great amount of practice of my own.)

My 2018 goals:
    Become more fit (Doing 80 days Obsessed on Beachbody on Demand)
    Prepare for Black Belt Test to 4th in June.

My immediate goal for February
    work out in some fashion everyday.
    Eat healthy
    Attend Black Belt Class (4 sessions)
    Practice breaking cement again (working towards 3 bricks)
  • kellypence
    kellypence Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm going to take this opportunity to (maybe re-)introduce myself.
    I currently hold a black belt in Tang Soo Do, though I'm pre-testing for my 2nd degree on Saturday.

My long term goals are to earn my 2nd degree (should test in August). Short term goal for Feb is to more consistently track food here (and be more active in this group to help hold myself accountable) to try to lose another 10 pounds (have lost 65ish since last Feb).
  • Soy_K
    Options
    I really love reading these.Thank you all for sharing - it's very motivating. Hopefully you will check in every while so we can see how well we did by the end of 2018.

An aside - I'm also really surprised at how many people practice Korean martial arts! (I did when I was a kid, but as an adult I'm learning Chinese martial arts) Maybe I'm the only Korean person here lol. I guess for me - checking in - I haven't made much progress towards aerials yet except for practicing and improving cartwheels and 1 hand cartwheels but have to start somewhere! I'm out of town on vacation half of Feb. so hopefully will get back on it when I return :)
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    @Soy_K My perspective is limited on this, because I wasn't even born when Korean martial arts were first becoming popular here, but I think it's self-perpetuating at this point. If you want to learn a martial art, and you have no idea which one, your nearest random MA club will be a TKD one. There are at least three totally different TKD clubs in my sub-district within 15 minutes' drive (or less) of my current house, and there used to be a hapkido club too. (Naturally, mine is the furthest of the three...) I liked TKD so I stuck with it, and so do others.

I think part of its original success might have been the aesthetics of a well performed kick. I see a high level TKD exponent and I want to be able to do what they do, and I'm not alone. It appeals to the frustrated wannabe-ballerina inside.

I have an idea that Korean arts might have been presented as a cooler, hipper alternative to Karate and Kung Fu. Weren't those getting associated with thugs in the '80s/'90s?

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I started TKD in '86, so right at the height of the rise in KMA (Korean Martial Arts)

... Here's my simplified take on it:

I started where I did because it was close and I had a coupon for free lessons... Fell in love with it, and never looked back, though I have dabbled in many other arts along the way, I have never seriously considered switching. I didn't know what "Taekwondo" was, or that it was Korean, or what differences it may have with other arts - I learned all of that AFTER I had already committed to the school.

I think @HeliumIsNoble Definitely hit on something, that most new MA students have an ideal in their head of what martial arts should look like, and when they see something that fits that ideal, that becomes what they want... and if you look at martial arts in the media... MUCH of it is based on Taekwondo or Taekwondo-like kicks, especially when you look at the movies from the 70's 80's, when Taekwondo really surged in popularity.

Also, a lot of very famous "Karate" fighters of the same era came from KMA backgrounds, and many MA actors studied KMA as well, portraying a similar style on screen.

Add to it, there was a huge push from the organizations in Korea at the time to spread TKD throughout the world.... Leaders of the time saw that there was a demand for martial arts in the western world, and they jumped in to fill that demand post-haste, as there was a LOT of money to be made (a bi-product of which gave birth to what is now known as the McDojo).

• HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    You know, you've worded that much better than i did!

I've just remembered ending up watching a subtitled Korean martial arts film on TV in the nineties (because nothing else decent was on the other channels) and absolutely loving it. I spent the next two evenings watching the channel's continued theme of back-to-back subbed Korean MA films, in fact. My mother was most unimpressed by all this, and so I claimed I wasn't watching them for the amazing fight scenes.

I was just watching them to learn Korean, I said. :smiley: This was a complete and utter lie, obviously, and I didn't learn a single word. I don't think she believed me, but she let it go. :smiley:

Naturally, once I'd enrolled in a random local martial arts club later on, found out I was doing TKD, from Korea(!), and had seen the black belts doing jumping side kicks, I was hooked.