Competition this past weekend

Dory_42
Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
So, a small group of my team traveled up for the South African National Pro (UAEJJF) this weekend. One kid, two ladies and three guys competed, including coach! The other lady has done about 6 weeks of Jiu Jitsu so she is a rock star for just stepping on the mat. None of us walked away with anything major, although there were one or two victories. All faced insanely tough opponents (the Angolans were out in full force and are seriously tough!) and all fought their hearts out. Losing is hard and we were all drained, but it was still a good experience. For me, I faced an Olympic power lifter and a girl who has just signed as a pro MMA fighter and in both cases their strength was just too much for me! I fought better than my previous competitions and was happy with how I did. I got thrown in both fights and no concussions (for me that is a win!!!)

I had a hectic weight cut because it just wouldn't budge and I have sworn that I will never do that again so its back to healthy living to get to maintenance state at fighting weight!!! Plus working on building my strength up to beat the girls next time I face them.

Replies

• Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    wow dory that is awesome! glad about no concussions!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Congrats on your competition, @Dory_42 !!
    Some of the best training I've ever had in my life was as result of getting taken out in tournament. It opened my eyes to things that I had NO clue that I was missing.

• thecraigferguson
    thecraigferguson Posts: 33 Member
    Good for you!
    Competition should be a reflection of your love for jiu jitsu. That’s what Tom Deblass says anyways. I don’t think he’s right about everything but he’s right about that lol.
  • thecraigferguson
    rjr4xegtcz64.png
    Funny story: there are three guys in this photo. Two are jiu jitsu world champions. The other one is me.
  • thecraigferguson
    Four guys, sorry. I’m on the far left.
  • shadowbaby4
    shadowbaby4 Posts: 60 Member
    Awesome! It sounds like you had fun!
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    great job getting out there! competition is not easy. i love to compete as well, and I know it makes my bjj better. I have to remember what @thecraigferguson posted a lot. i compete because of my love for jiu jitsu. but when things go as planned, I get so frustrated. i get in a funk or a rut, but usually come out the other end better than I was.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Well done!