Class and Practice Check in - Week of 2/5/2018

Options
As martial artists who are also members of a WL and fitness website, it can be helpful for us to remain accountable to each other, and share training ideas.

Any time you participate in class, or practice out side of class, post here and let everyone know. You can write something as simple as "Went to sparring class... got my licks in", or get into as much detail on the practice as you'd like.

This post gets rebuilt every week, to remind us to approach each practice/training/class with a fresh perspective:

- Do today what others won't, tomorrow do what others can't.

Replies

• nmrose00
    nmrose00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I currently box 3 times a week, with 1 sparring included. Is that a good pace?
  • shadowbaby4
    shadowbaby4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My friend's dojo came up to crash our class again this week, so I got in a couple matches with someone my size. It's amazing how much harder I have to work against an adult opponent. As talented as my usual partner is, when it comes down to it, she's a tiny little 12-year-old. It doesn't matter that she trains with former Olympic athletes and wins international Juniors competions--I can pick her entire 93 pounds off the mat and put her down where I want.

It's a whole different story when I fight with adults. They keep telling me I'm good for the training limitations I've had, but I hate that I've worked so hard and put in so many hours for such small results. It's hard not to get discouraged with two competitions coming up. I should really be doing better after a whole year of training.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    nmrose00 wrote: »
    I currently box 3 times a week, with 1 sparring included. Is that a good pace?

Not bad at all.. Generally most people can progress in skills on 2x/week at minimum, so as long as you are above that, you are doing pretty good. A better indication to know if you are on point is how you feel?
    Are you sore the next day? (Appropriate intensity to the workout)
    Are you energized to go to your next boxing session? (Enough time to recover)
    Are you retaining the things you learned last session? (Frequency)
    Are you learning new things every time? (Variety)

If you are answering yes to the majority of these questions, then you are probably on the right track!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    My friend's dojo came up to crash our class again this week, so I got in a couple matches with someone my size. It's amazing how much harder I have to work against an adult opponent. As talented as my usual partner is, when it comes down to it, she's a tiny little 12-year-old. It doesn't matter that she trains with former Olympic athletes and wins international Juniors competions--I can pick her entire 93 pounds off the mat and put her down where I want.

It's a whole different story when I fight with adults. They keep telling me I'm good for the training limitations I've had, but I hate that I've worked so hard and put in so many hours for such small results. It's hard not to get discouraged with two competitions coming up. I should really be doing better after a whole year of training.

Sometimes the improvements come in small doses... and other times in big jumps, but .. they still come. And you're MUCH better than if you hadn't put in those hours.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Made it to training. We practiced forms, which is good. My newest form-- at least, what I know of it-- feels like it is coming together. I was going to buttonhole an instructor to have it reviewed, but I missed my opportunity before the end of class. I must seize it tomorrow.

Then I left the dojang to find it had started snowing, so that was a chilly cycle ride home.
  • thecraigferguson
    thecraigferguson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I’ve been able to train Sunday and Tuesday so far this week despite a lingering cough from the cold I had the last couple weeks. Haven’t been back to Judo yet because it is just a bit too much. Hopefully Thursday.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    We have started a monthly exchange - where the adults in our school (training at different dojos with different senseis) all get together to train with new people and new instructors. It was nice to meet some different people!
  • shadowbaby4
    shadowbaby4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Class was cancelled due to a storm, so it looks like I'll be training at home today! I found some home fitness equipment at 5 Below and I was thinking of picking up some free weights and a medicine ball.
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think I left my brain in the dojo last night, I'm trying really hard to concentrate on my job but today all I want is to go and train.

Sunday was basics and kata, both of which I love. I worked one-to-one with a lad who's grading for 3rd kyu next month and gave him some tips on his kata and tightened up his stances, then I got to work on my new kata (shiho kosokun) which I love (because my newest kata is always my favourite but also because it has jumpy turny bits and jumpy kicky bits).
    Monday I led warmup in the beginners class then spent some time on kata with the lads who are grading for 2nd kyu next month.
    Wednesday was Sai and we learned a new kata (San Cho Sai). Sensei gave me my grading dates for doing my sai and katana grades (kobudo grades are done for each weapon, so for example you can be a dan grade in katana and still a 4th kyu in nunchaku - I will be doing 4th kyu for sai and katana this time).
    Thursday, more one to one training in basics, this time I helped my son tighten up his stances. And Sensei told me I'm on track for my first Dan in November. I need to start pushing myself to do more of the stuff I don't like - my fighting and one-step have been neglected because Sensei has allowed me to go off with the 3rd dan ladies and learn more kata instead of making me join in with the rest of the class.

It feels like it's been an eventful week with all the talk of gradings! I celebrated by ordering myself a new sword :-)

I pulled my achilles tendon last night landing hard from a jump front kick, I'm going for a test run at lunchtime to see whether I've done any damage but I might have to take it easy for a few days :-(
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I wasn't feeling so good Monday, so I took the evening off; I trained Tuesday, did Kettlebells Wednesday, positional sparring on Thursday, and kettlebells again today (Friday). Will do another longer Kettlebell workout tomorrow with some drilling. I'm feeling really good now that I feel better. I've decided to start eating carbs more, after almost 3 years of eating Keto. I had an awesome class last night with lots of explosive energy!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    I've just had a fantastic session tonight helping my children practise their TKD. I've been focused on one particular issue in one kick for the last couple of weeks, and now I'm asking them to apply that improvement to two other similar kicks. They're really making progress, both with TKD and with their attitude to TKD practice and I am so happy. It's been a bit of a hard road to get to this point, because for some reason teaching my own children is so much harder than teaching anyone else's, and I realised I was just going to have to back off about it all for a while, or I'd risk making martial arts just seem like another burden on their free time, like practising their their school spellings.

But now I'm developing techniques to keep their attention, and help them improve without destroying their confidence. Basically, it's requires everything I've been told about how to teach, x100!
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I had a class today. One guy blocked my roundhouse kick with his elbow. So now my knee is bruised. He also blocked my punch with his fist, so my elbow is also bruised. Otherwise it was a great class
  • sesposito3
    sesposito3 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Had a breaking class today and it went better than expected, considering I brought two uniform pants but not the top to class. At least the breaks went pretty well.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Went to class twice this weekend. Day 1: Finally learnt to the end of the whole sequence of my first ever black belt form. I now have exactly one month to get the whole thing to the standard of my coloured belt forms, before I have to perform it in semi-public. Bit worrying.

Day 2: went to black belt class. Worked in a group with some other students who were on the same form, under close instructor supervision. I think improvements were made all round.

Onwards to tomorrow!

@sesposito3 To be fair, the trousers are the most important part. You had your priorities right; I mean, most normal upper daywear will do for practising MA in a pinch, but try doing anything interesting kick-wise in skinny jeans!

@Versicolour Ah, elbows. Nothing like being blocked by an elbow to educate you in their surprising utility. I never realised how effective an elbow strike could be, until my roundhouse kick was blocked by someone's elbow jabbing into it.

This reminds me, I must practice elbow strikes.