On the Fence

Options
Hello,
I hope this board is still active. I'm insulin resistant with leaky gut (as a result I've been gluten free for 16 weeks). I'm taking Berberine, Metabolic Synergy (vitamin), and Inositol (myo and d-chiro).

Since starting this journey with my doctor 16 weeks ago, I've put on about 7 lbs of muscle but lost no fat - bringing me up to 225lbs. She suggested trying Saxenda to see if it will tip me into losing weight and getting rid of the rest of my insulin resistance. My insulin level started at 30.5 and went down to 19 after 8 weeks. We are measuring again this week, but I know I'm not down to under 10 yet (or I would be losing weight).

I walk at least 60 minutes/7 days a week and work out with a trainer for 30 minutes once a week. I've been doing this religiously for 3 years. None of this is helping me lose weight

I'm interested to know, from other users of this board, if they have found success with Saxenda and if that success is improved exponentially with diet and exercise.

I hate taking prescription medication, but I have reached the end of my patience. I've been doing everything my doctor has asked with no weight loss. I've had success in lowering my fasting insulin, but that is about it.

I'm also interested in hearing about experiences from users who have an anxiety disorder. I have anxiety that I control via diet/exercise/CBT, but taking new medicines always give me pause. :)

I guess what I'm looking for is reassurances that this was a positive step for others.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• stacydianereagan
    stacydianereagan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been on this for about 5 weeks. It has been good for me. I am losing small amounts of weight steadily. I also take lexapro for anxiety and have had no problems. Good luck.
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have been on this also for five weeks and am seeing consistent weight loss. I am on Cipralex for anxiety/depression and have had no issues.
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hello I started saxenda on March 8th 2017. My starting weight was 178 I am 36 years old 5'2 I weighed in after 6 weeks on April 19th and was at 162.2 which was a total loss of 15.8 pounds. The only exercise I have done is walking 1 hour about 4-5 times a week. Saxenda has really helped with appetite control. I have not weighed in again since. I am trying to stay off the scale and only weigh in like twice a month.
  • damselfly115
    damselfly115 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have super resistant fat loss too. Also had issues with leaky gut and acquired Hashimotos last year. PS, seriously consider bone broth/gelatin/collagen/l-glutamine for your leaky gut. I have/had (doing amazing now) IBS and couldn't believe how fast bone broth made my guts stop hurting.

I hired a personal trainer and worked with her for 10 months with almost no weight loss. According to their body comp scale (which I'm not sure is accurate) I was actually losing muscle and gaining fat, with an overall loss of 4 pounds. Super discouraging.

Saxenda was suggested to me in January, but I declined because I thought it was simply an appetite suppressant and figured the weight would just come back as soon as I went off it. Now I know how it manipulates leptin/ghrelin and it makes a lot of sense. Now I wish I would have started this back in January!

It's been 9 days since I started and I've lost 2 pounds. Going to the gym most days for about 35-40 minutes of weight training. Sometimes going for a .5-1 hour walk. Recording my food in Healthie for my dietitian and myfitnesspal to check my calories and protein intake. Felt pretty nauseous the first week with slight appetite suppression, but with the first increase in dose I'm now only nauseous if I eat something fatty (like 10 potato chips) and my appetite is seriously less. Hopefully this weight loss continues because I really felt like a lost cause.
  • Mandi5Dogs
    Mandi5Dogs Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started Saxenda 2 weeks ago and have lost 8 lbs. I know it won't keep up at that pace, I am also still on the lowest dose because it's working for me. I was extremely hesitant to try because I have had horrible side effects with stimulant diet medications. This is not at all like them. I am almost never hungry, I have a small bit of acid reflux in the afternoon but it's not bad. I am not working out right now, but I need to start, the first few days on the med I was kinda tired. I think it's the best thing ever!
  • ThianaV78
    ThianaV78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started saxenda 2 wks ago, I’m following the dosage increase weekly. I have lost 10 lbs in 2 wks. First few days I had vomiting and fatigue. Now I’m ok. I get full so fast and hardly hungry. I have to remember to eat something. It’s weird.
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I was just given my RX for this yesterday, pending pre-auth from insurance and hopefully by end of week will hear back about cost/approval/co-pay etc. I do have the savings card that hopefully I can take advantage of depending on my coverage.

I have been on the fence about taking something as well, but finally after talking to my doctor more yesterday, I think this will be the best option for me!

I am hoping to lose right around 30ish pounds (will likely vary just depending on how I feel once I start losing).

I am most nervous about the needle part to be honest!

I am glad there is a group on here, hoping to connect with some other people and see some success!
  • aft85
    aft85 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    started a week ago on the lowest dose, no effects good or bad so far. hugely disappointing, given the cost. mostly just feel like crying, i'd had a lot of hope on this thing having some effect, since I'd not heard anyone else having trouble with it and instead, i'm just broke.
  • leslilpitchford
    leslilpitchford Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am starting Saxenda today. I am hoping for the best. I have been on Contrave and Belviq. Not much luck at all - less with the Belviq. I understand that I eat even though I am not hungry. I even eat sometimes when I am full. I am about 3yr post op with the gastric sleeve. I lost about 80# but had started gaining some back - that's why the Contrave and Belviq. I am trying to be most conscious of the not eating if I am not hungry. Old habits are sooo hard to break. I now and have some excitement in starting Saxenda. It might be good for me if I actually get sick if I eat when I am not hungry. I don't know, nothing else has worked. I am glad these message boards are here and look forward to being active on them. I currently exercise with cardio about 45 minutes each 2 times a week. I am throwing in an extra class tonight and bought a new notebook to log my food/exercise. Here's to another beginning.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    i started on October 3rd. There are days when I feel like its working (making me feel full) and other days when I fell like i could eat everything in the house. there has not been a time, i have felt sick (nausea). I have felt that uncomfortable over full feeling though. Cheers to your new beginning. I'm hoping this is my last beginning.
  • leslilpitchford
    leslilpitchford Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    3 doses in today. Happy/excited to report that I have had no negative symptoms. I have noticed NO preoccupation with ANY foods - THANK GOD!! I haven't been hungry at all. I do feel tired - didn't sleep well first night - but not ready to contribute that as an effect of this medicine. I've been working overtime for quite a while now. That may be a contributing factor. Felt exhausted last night - and went to bed early. Got what I felt was a good night sleep. My blood pressure was quite low last dr visit (before starting med). Maybe that has something to do with the feeling tired all the time - that and probably the year I was born. Will be rechecking this and discuss w/doctor at next visit. Have a great day!! :)
  • precius
    precius Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi im just wondering has anyone been on this longer than 8 months and had a stall in losing weight im at this barrier so far i lost 78lbs since april so just wondering if we can do a reset to the medication
  • 2021WLjourney
    2021WLjourney Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    precius wrote: »
    Hi im just wondering has anyone been on this longer than 8 months and had a stall in losing weight im at this barrier so far i lost 78lbs since april so just wondering if we can do a reset to the medication

Hi Precius!
    I did this in 2015, was on Liraglutide for about 3/4 of the year, had lost nicely and then things started to slow down. Maybe I wasn’t in it enough anymore. Who knows.
    I phased out, waited 3-4 weeks and then started again.
    I wouldn’t call it a kickstart, more a little shake up. Once you have lost a large amount it’s harder and will defini Take longer to see results.
    Don’t give up though!
    I stopped used Saxenda and went right back up to where I was and then some.