Nervous about what my belly will look like...

Options
I know it seems really superficial but I've been having a lot of stress lately about what my baby bump will look like. I've been up and down with my weight for years and struggle a bit with self-image. I know that weight gain with pregnancy is inevitable, but the mental battle that's going to come with seeing the scale go up again is kind of stressing me out. Furthermore, I'm also nervous about what it will look like... I'm worried I'm just going to look overweight and not have that nice little bump you see so often.

I know that the only thing that really matters is that my baby is healthy, but I can't help but think about this little detail. Anyone else have the same worry?

Replies

• karen_thinmint
    karen_thinmint Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I worried too. I think it's common. I'm at the end now, 3 wks to go. I was a yoyo-er too. Dont know if that helped bc my skin is used to stretching at my high weights but my belly looks pretty good. Husband thinks it's adorable, I'm more confused bc its a never looked like this before and its your body so it's just odd to see it change so much. But your body knows what it's doing, just remember that.

When i saw the title i thought you were in my head, because last night i was starting to imagine my post delivery deflated belly and that's weirding me out.
  • cfolk114
    cfolk114 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am obese and have had a belly for what seems like my whole life. I just found out that I am pregnant last week and I am already a nervous wreck with the thought that people won't be able to tell if I'm pregnant or just even more fat than normal.
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    @girlalmighty08 - I have these same fears, selfishly, it sometimes pops into my head that maybe being TTC right now isn't the best for me (but that goes away too). I too, have struggled with weight my entire life. As a young girl/teen and into my early twenties I was considered obese/borderline morbid obese. I've successfully dropped/kept over 100# off and I am terrified of gaining in excess and getting to that point again. I know, I wont gain 100# w/pregnancy (though not like its never happened), but it still sits in the back of my mind.

I've already told my therapist (active for my anxiety) that when the times comes, that hopefully we are able to get pregnant, we may have to ramp up sessions to more than just maintenance every few months.

It is nerve-wracking & I think part of it for me is that I will have no control (yes control over excess gain, but not what I look like) and that is the scariest part.

You aren't alone sista!