Lunch items on the go

pugsrmypatronus
pugsrmypatronus Posts: 16 Member
edited February 2018 in Social Groups
Hello lovely people! I need some help as I'm struggling on what to bring for lunch when I'm on the go. As part of my job, I'm on a construction site a few days a week and I never know what to bring for lunch. Usually when I'm in my office, I just bring leftovers but I don't usually have a fridge or microwave on site. I'm also not always at a place where I can sit and eat easily so something simple would be good. I'm just not a big sandwich person so I'm feeling a bit clueless on this one. There is often pizza and other not great choices so I'm trying to avoid those so I can keep on track! Any thoughts would be great.

Replies

• Mellykay88
    Mellykay88 Posts: 306 Member
    No fridge or microwave makes it tough, but not impossible, especially if you get a lunch box with an ice pack. I love to bring a container of raw veggies with hummus and either lunch meat or cheese for some protein. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese holds up pretty well too as long as you use an ice back.

Fruit and nuts are good choices. So is string cheese.
  • I tend to take salad with me, I’m a veggie so I’ll have egg, a little cheese, couscous, carrot, sweetcorn, cucumber and iceberg lettuce with a little bottle of vinaigrette dressing in my car. Or if there is a subway nearby I’ll have a veggie patty Salad from there. On colder days a flask of homemade soup if you don’t have a microwave. I’m a bit spoilt in that I work from home all bar one day a week so that’s the only day I need to take anything, but it’s harder maintaining the plan when you’re home alone with full cupboards!
  • pugsrmypatronus
    @mellykelley thanks for those ideas! I think the no microwave is really throwing me off as I’m so use to eating leftovers or picking up food from a restaurant so I’ve been struggling with what to bring that I can eat cold. I think I need to get myself a new lunchbox for sure!

@fatoldladyonamission I didn’t think of a thermos, that’s a good thing to remember. I’m no longer veggie/vegan but still try and eat plant based about half of the week. I just made lentil sloppy Joe’s, so yummy!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    @pugsrmypatronus

I was a field engineer for 10 years for the power utility and only the high voltage stations had fridges if the crew found a junk one to drag in, so I know what your facing! The temptation to eat out is strong on those days.

Like melly says, I found a lot of luck using the ice packs in an insulated lunch box to keep items safely cold until lunch.

Have you tried pita pockets? Or flatbreads? Those are good alternatives to thick slices of bread and they don’t overwhelm the other ingredients. Pitas are especially handy and can be filled with all sorts of things.

Salads are a good choice, though if you are like me and hate soggy salads, you’ll want different sized containers so you can keep everything separated until lunch.

I also like to sometimes make a bowl of Mexican bean salad or three bean salad. The longer they sit in the fridge at home the better they are, and the vinegar in them makes them more stable in warmer temps.

I also like to occasionally get meat and cracker smack trays as a quick lunch. You’ll find them in the lunch meat section usually, and there are a couple of brands that are really decent on protein and calories.

I’ll usually take some cheese and some jerky to snack on as the jerky is a good low calorie protein source, and also will toss in some fruit.

Another idea would be a container of peanut butter and your favorite fruit or celery to dip in it, or almond butter or other alternative!
  • jonraines32586
    jonraines32586 Posts: 15 Member
    Im an HVACR tech and I never know where Im gonna be day to day. Im rarely far from my van though.

I bought a 20oz crock pot and 300w inverter off of Amazon. I take mostly frozen dinners, soups, etc. and heat them in my little crock pot. An hour usually works.

Tai pei has shrimp fried rice, beef & broccoli, and chicken chow mein. All 400 calories or less. There are other frozen meals to be found at walmart. Progresso soups work well. There are quite a few different easy low cal meals I can cook in it.

Hope that helps.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    @jonraines32586

that's a neat idea! I had a co-worker who had one like that, but had forgotten about it.
  • jonraines32586
    jonraines32586 Posts: 15 Member
    @bmeadows380 I love it. I have beef & broccoli in it today. Lol
  • pugsrmypatronus
    @jonraines32586 that’s very smart! I’m hoping to get a construction trailer to work on soon so that could be great in there.