Time for an upgrade — need a new scale

Options
Hi guys!

Apparently our scale didn’t like the overseas move & is now showing a 5-30 lb swing depending on its mood—and where you stand on the surface. We got it 18 years ago, so it’s time for an upgrade!

What do you recommend? Digital? Bluetooth? Any other bells & whistles to consider? Must-haves/avoid?

Thanks a bunch for any recommendations!!
Char

Replies

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I personally go completely the opposite way and go for simplicity - mine is an £8 digital one from Aldi. I go for consistent rather than accurate readings as I'm more concerned in the trend and how I look/feel will tell me when I reach my ideal weight rather than an arbitrary number.

Having said that I do miss my previous one which told me body fat %, (got lost in a house move). I doubt it was very accurate but I was only interested in making sure I was trending the right way, so now have to resort to callipers!
  • charlouiselb
    charlouiselb Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You’re good to be using calipers. I’ve never done BMI though I was doing measurements for a long time. I think it would be good if it could tell me hydration & pass weight info to the app.
  • charlouiselb
    Options
    Bump
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a set of fairly simple digital ones. Our bathroom floor is wood floor boards though and isn't very level (old house) so it gives a different reading depending on where they are in the bathroom. I've had to resort to putting a sticker on them asking husband and kids not to move them! I've had body fat/hydration ones in the past but was never very impressed by them.
  • charlouiselb
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! I ordered a RENPHO Scale. One feature I decided to get is BF%, so I can calculate macros more accurately.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I see you've got a new set on order. I went the opposite. I had a set that measured body fat etc that got damaged in a house move. I've bought I simple set of Salter analogue scales, because 1. no batteries required and 2. I wanted to stop obsessing over decimal places. Knowing my weight within half a kilo is enough for me right now.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    How are the new scales? I just ordered some Nokia Body+ ones (think Withings) as they were going cheap(er) on Amazon.
  • charlouiselb
    Options
    I’m happy with it. The compatible app is detailed and works well with MFP.
  • Brimstone14
    Brimstone14 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking to get new scales. I'm considering the Nokia/withings Body+ scales that somebody else mentioned. How are they working out dor you @_mr_b ?
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    They’ve been great @davidmallar14 , main thing is I have confidence in what they are telling me.

The partner app has been really useful in visualising trends and I’m amazed how my weight can vary from one day to the next - as such I still manually update my weight on MFP once a week. The app would do it automatically but I think a daily MFP weight update would be a bit much!
  • kylepatterson357
    kylepatterson357 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I personally have fitbit aria scales(released Aria 2 not long ago) the sync through WIFI and upload bodyfat and weight etc to my fitbit account.