Food, Glorious Food!

Options
Hey all :smile:

I wanted to start a recipe thread so we can share foods we love.

I wanted to share a recipe that I cook a lot in my house and I discovered the dish when I went to Sri Lanka. It's healthy, tasty, easy to cook...and cheap.

Sri Lankan Coconut Dhal

Serves: 4

Ingredients

1 cup masoor dhal (red lentils) or moong dhal (split mung beans) preferable soaked
1 teaspoon turmeric
3½ cups water
1 tin of low fat coconut milk
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
2 curry leaves (optional)
½ medium red onion sliced
1-2 green chilies, sliced (Serrano chiles are good)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tomato chopped (optional)

Instructions

Rinse the lentils
Heat water and dhal along with the turmeric. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cook until just cooked, 30-45 minutes. Skim off and discard any foam that rises
Add coconut milk
While the lentils are cooking, heat oil in a saute pan until shimmering.
Add mustard seeds, once they start to pop add the cumin and fenugreek seeds and sauté for 30 seconds.
Add curry leaves (if using), green chilies along with sliced onions and salt.
Sauté for 5 minutes on low heat until the onions are soft.
Add tomatoes (if using ) and sauté 2 minutes.
Add onions and spices to cooked lentils.

Mix all together and taste to adjust salt.

This is a recipe I have found online but I tweak the spices to my own taste. I personally enjoy this on top of steamed broccoli.

Enjoy :smiley:

Replies

• 2nelune
    2nelune Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea! I’ll have to go through my recipes later and find some of my good ones! One thing that I use that helps me a lot is MealBoard. It’s an app for iPhones that you can import recipes into (I find most on Pinterest), plan out your weeks meals, and then the best part - it creates your shopping list from the recipes! I figured I’d share before I forget
  • 2nelune
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I just made a Pineapple whip for a snack and it was awesome! Figured I’d share!

https://tone-and-tighten.com/2014/09/healthy-pineapple-whips-recipe-only-3-ingredients.html
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    n437ow7lhyy4.jpeg

Chicken veggie chowder tonight for dinner. Yum!!
  • 2nelune
    Options
    lowjax75 wrote: »
    n437ow7lhyy4.jpeg

Chicken veggie chowder tonight for dinner. Yum!!

That looks good! Would you be willing to share the recipe?
  • lowjax75
    Options
    2nelune wrote: »

Hi @2nelune ! I have the South Beach cookbook and did it from there, but found the same recipe online so will post the link to that. It's not my website and I did things a bit differently (butter instead of margarine) but it looks like the same recipe.

https://kidstokidswithibs.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/chicken-and-veggie-chowder-from-the-south-beach-diet-cookbook/

• 2nelune
    Options
    lowjax75 wrote: »
    2nelune wrote: »

Hi @2nelune ! I have the South Beach cookbook and did it from there, but found the same recipe online so will post the link to that. It's not my website and I did things a bit differently (butter instead of margarine) but it looks like the same recipe.

https://kidstokidswithibs.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/chicken-and-veggie-chowder-from-the-south-beach-diet-cookbook/

Awesome! Thank you so much!
  • lowjax75
    Options
    You are welcome @2nelune
  • 2nelune
    Options
    fl2qkna9lj4y.jpeg

Made an Orange Julius Protein shake. It was so good my 3 year old wanted to drink most of it! Recipe can be found here (with other protein shake recipes I haven’t tried) - http://mommysavers.com/best-protein-shake-recipes/
  • PNWBethany
    PNWBethany Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hey all :smile:

I wanted to start a recipe thread so we can share foods we love.

I wanted to share a recipe that I cook a lot in my house and I discovered the dish when I went to Sri Lanka. It's healthy, tasty, easy to cook...and cheap.

Sri Lankan Coconut Dhal

Serves: 4

Ingredients

1 cup masoor dhal (red lentils) or moong dhal (split mung beans) preferable soaked
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    3½ cups water
    1 tin of low fat coconut milk
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    2 teaspoons mustard seeds
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
    2 curry leaves (optional)
    ½ medium red onion sliced
    1-2 green chilies, sliced (Serrano chiles are good)
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1 tomato chopped (optional)

Instructions

Rinse the lentils
    Heat water and dhal along with the turmeric. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cook until just cooked, 30-45 minutes. Skim off and discard any foam that rises
    Add coconut milk
    While the lentils are cooking, heat oil in a saute pan until shimmering.
    Add mustard seeds, once they start to pop add the cumin and fenugreek seeds and sauté for 30 seconds.
    Add curry leaves (if using), green chilies along with sliced onions and salt.
    Sauté for 5 minutes on low heat until the onions are soft.
    Add tomatoes (if using ) and sauté 2 minutes.
    Add onions and spices to cooked lentils.

Mix all together and taste to adjust salt.

This is a recipe I have found online but I tweak the spices to my own taste. I personally enjoy this on top of steamed broccoli.

Enjoy :smiley:

@TravelBear87 How are you doing? I hope all is well. I've been meaning to make this recipe since you posted it and I finally did - it's delicious! Do you soak the lentils first? For how long?
  • 2nelune
    Options
    Linguine With Shrimp

Source: Oct. 2011 - Parenting Magazine

Makes: 4 servings
    Cook Time: 30 mins

Ingredients
    1/2 pint Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
    2 tsp Garlic, Chopped
    1/2 Cup and 2 tbsp Olive Oil
    To Taste Salt
    To Taste Pepper
    1/4 cup Bread Crumbs
    1 pound Linguine, Cooked based on package directions
    2 tbsp Butter
    1 pound Shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1/2 cup Chicken Broth
    2 cups Spinach

Directions
    Preheat oven to 450 degree.

In a baking dish, toss together 1/2 pint halved cherry tomatoes, 1 tsp chopped garlic, 1/4 cup olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 10 minutes.
    Sprinkle with 1/4 cup bread crumbs, and roast for an additional 5 minutes; set aside.

Boil 1pound linguine according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp butter, and 1 tsp chopped garlic, and cook for 1 minute.
    Add 1 pound large, peeled, and deveined shrimp; season with salt and pepper to taste. Sauté until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.

Add 1/2 cup chicken broth, and let the liquid cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the drained pasta, roasted tomatoes, and 2 cups baby spinach.

Toss well, then serve.

Sent from MealBoard

Making this for dinner. It’s so good!