Feb 19 Weekly Challenge: Just Breathe

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
Theme: Healthy Practices
Challenge: Just Breathe

You always have with you a powerful tool that can quickly reduce your stress, lower your blood pressure, and re-energize you: your breath. It's easy to overlook breathing. After all, it's an automatic process and something each of us to do about 20,000 times a day. Because breathing is so easy to ignore, few of us tap into the power of breathing to make us healthier. This week, let's change that! Let's set aside a few minutes each day to focus on our breathing. Let's breathe slowly, deliberately, and deeply, and watch how it improves our lives.

I was introduced to deep breathing several years and was pretty skeptical of what it could do for me. I was wrong. It's a game changer. I now use deep breathing to reduce my stress, keep my blood pressure in check, transition from one work project to another, and as a relaxation technique before any dental checkup. I love that it's so portable! I may forget my keys, but I always have what I need to breathe. I think you'll be impressed with what deep breathing can do for you.

There are a lot of ways to practice deep breathing. The resources below highlight several techniques. There is no "right way" or "wrong way" to breathe deeply. I'd suggest trying out a few approaches to see what works best for you.

This Week's Challenge: Please watch the TED Talk (link below) and participate in the breathing exercise. Then review Dr Weil's recommended deep breathing techniques (link below in the resources section). Choose one of the deep breathing methods mentioned in the video or Dr Weil article. Use that method as your starting point to practice deep breathing.

Please set aside at least 5 minutes twice a day this week to practice breathing deeply. Look for opportunities when a few minutes of deep breaths could help you relax and reduce your stress. Or, if you need an afternoon pick-me-up, try an energizing breathing session instead of a cup of coffee. If you've got children at home for the summer, you need the stress break that deep breathing provides!

And if you're interested, try out a few different deep breathing techniques this week!

I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress with this week's challenge. Please post any frustrations, suggestions, or questions you may have for our group. We can all learn from each other!

Make it a great week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Three Breathing Exercises And Techniques:
(Note that there are videos demonstrating each technique)
https://www.drweil.com/health-wellness/body-mind-spirit/stress-anxiety/breathing-three-exercises/

Breathe. Exhale. Repeat: The Benefits of Controlled Breathing
(This article also includes recommended breathing techniques)
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/09/well/mind/breathe-exhale-repeat-the-benefits-of-controlled-breathing.html

Relaxation Techniques: Breath Control Helps Quell Errant Stress Response
http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/relaxation-techniques-breath-control-helps-quell-errant-stress-response

Breathing And Your Brain: Five Reasons To Grab The Controls
https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2013/05/14/breathing-and-your-brain-five-reasons-to-grab-the-controls/#6568256d2d95

.............................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    Options

TEDx Talk:
    Breath -- five minutes can change your life | Stacey Schuerman

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hFcQpNr_KA4

• themedalist
    Options
    And a few infographics:

f0fimhi6mydn.jpeg

owlcv52t9rvn.jpeg

vj62dgndd68s.jpeg

• themedalist
    Options

8mq72grzc2lg.jpeg

Oops! I just remembered that it’s also Move It Monday today. I posted the challenge late last night and just forgot.

It’s Week 4!

Let’s get those Monday workouts in and please post what you did:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637806/jan-29-weekly-challenge-move-it-mondays

q4c7kghdbre9.jpeg

• mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Love the breathing theme!! And I am going out right now to make sure the dog gets her exercise. ;)
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Super excited for this! I used to meditate as part of my morning routine and before I went to bed but I have just fallen out of the habit. I'm going to start doing this now. I actually have an app on my phone called Calm that I love. I'm gonna start using it again. Thank you so much for this!
  • themedalist
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Super excited for this! I used to meditate as part of my morning routine and before I went to bed but I have just fallen out of the habit. I'm going to start doing this now. I actually have an app on my phone called Calm that I love. I'm gonna start using it again. Thank you so much for this!

I have heard many good things about the Calm app for awhile now. But because of your recommendation today, I went a step further and downloaded and installed it and used it for my breathing session. Thanks, @HGSmith0920!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    This is close to my heart. My goal for 2018 is to slow down and yes...Breathe. I am learning to meditate...it takes practice. My favorite deep breathing technique is alternate nostril breathing. It has changed my life. For anyone interested here is a YWA video that teaches you how.
    https://youtu.be/8VwufJrUhic

I also have the Calm app....love it.

Last week I started doing Yoga Nidra daily. It is so relaxing and refreshes my mind, body and soul. I have even used it to fall asleep. YouTube has many different videos on this.
    An example...
    https://youtu.be/7H0FKzeuVVs

I did follow the TEDx Talk....that was lovely.

I almost forgot....Move It Monday

3 Leslie Sansone miles
    2.62 mile walked outdoors
    yoga
  • themedalist
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    This is close to my heart. My goal for 2018 is to slow down and yes...Breathe. I am learning to meditate...it takes practice. My favorite deep breathing technique is alternate nostril breathing. It has changed my life. For anyone interested here is a YWA video that teaches you how.
    https://youtu.be/8VwufJrUhic

I also have the Calm app....love it.

Last week I started doing Yoga Nidra daily. It is so relaxing and refreshes my mind, body and soul. I have even used it to fall asleep. YouTube has many different videos on this.
    An example...
    https://youtu.be/7H0FKzeuVVs

I did follow the TEDx Talk....that was lovely.

I almost forgot....Move It Monday

3 Leslie Sansone miles
    2.62 mile walked outdoors
    yoga

@PinkyPan1, these are great resources...thanks for sharing!

Deep breathing also changed my life.

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Breathe! I love it. I have suffered from anxieties all my life so breathing is part of my recovery strategy. I have taught my daughters how to do it as well. This posts are very useful. Thanks for sharing! Have a great day everyone!

• MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I love this challenge. And yes, I do need to slow down and breathe. There's so many times when all I needed to do was quite myself and breathe. Of course, when you're in a crunch, it's also the hardest thing to do. I will endeavor to make this week's challenge.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,816 Member
    Options
    One breathing session done - hardly up to the challenge. I really like the idea of breathing mindfully, but I don't ever do it except for a challenge. I do like the counted breathing.

@prgirl39mfp , glad this helped at the dentist. I'll have to try that the next time I need some work done.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I never remember to do this! I will try again tomorrow. It seems like each day is just "go-go-go!" and by the time I log onto MFP it's almost bedtime and I'm just "done". I guess the fact that days are so busy means I should try even harder to remember! :blush:
  • bcTRAI
    bcTRAI Posts: 414 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @SilverSheWolf55 Love that ring!
    @themedalist Thank-you for this one. The TED talk was great. As someone with breathing issues this is sometimes a problem. A couple of weeks ago I restarted meditation and this challenge adds to the practice.
  • themedalist
    Options
    MmamabearR wrote: »
    I love this challenge. And yes, I do need to slow down and breathe. There's so many times when all I needed to do was quite myself and breathe. Of course, when you're in a crunch, it's also the hardest thing to do. I will endeavor to make this week's challenge.

That is the essence of the problem, @MmamabearR. We need the benefits of deep breathing most when we are stressed and least likely to think about doing it. Hopefully, devoting a week to deep breathing will help make it become a regular practice.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Today was at the dentist. Of course they had to do something and I got a bit anxious. Used breathing techniques to calm down. It worked like a charm.

Deep breaths through the nose, held it and release. I was happy that the dental hygienist allowed me to do it before work was done.

I love this! Dental visits are a great time to use deep breathing. Kudos to your dental hygienist.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Welcome @Vis77 and @brandyjan! We are glad that you’ve joined us and are excited about this week’s challenge. I think deep breathing is a form of meditation. When I’m in the habit of practicing deep breathing regularly, I feel so much better. Unfortunately, I slip out of the practice pretty easily. This time I’m determined not to let that happen.

Glad you are here!