Phentermine

Options
kymmit
kymmit Posts: 13 Member
Has anyone been prescribed phentermine to assist in weight loss? I was diagnosed about 18 months ago (type 2 - knew it was coming as I had gestational diabetes 13 years prior, but couldn't fight it off). I've managed to keep my BG and a1c in good ranges with the combination of diet (moderate carb, low sugar), exercise and medication (750mg metformin), but my weight is very stubborn. Tracking my weight depresses me, and often makes me feel like the diet/exercise isn't worth it, which is the exact opposite reaction I should be having.

I read a blog of someone that has struggled with her weight a long time as well, had success then regain, etc. She was recently prescribed phentermine and had great success with it (note: she is not diabetic). Initially given a 3 month prescription, she lost over 40 lbs in 4 months (approaching 20% of her starting weight). I've read some studies that have shown positive results using this with T2 diabetics, to spur weight loss, but wondered if anyone had any real life experience with it. I'll be going back for my physical in a few months and will bring it up with my doctor then (although he's not an endocrinologist).

Replies

• Keyakeya
    Keyakeya Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've used phentermine 37.5 on and off over the last few years and I definitely was able to lose the weight while on it. Last year I took it for about 3 months and I lost 42 lbs. The problem is once you STOP the phentermine. As soon as I stopped taking the pills I immediately gained all the weight back. Phentermine worked initially for me cause it took away my appetite and I ate less but in the long term it didn't work because It didn't help me learn how to eat better or help me learn how to really reduce my caloric intake without feeling hungry. I just saw all the weight coming off without much effort so I got lazy and let the pills work for me. I think the drug will help if you remember to train yourself to still eat and to actually eat healthy. That way once your no longer taking the pills you will still be used to a lower calorie diet and a healthier eating lifestyle.
  • Nireedk
    Nireedk Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used it last year along with topiramate and metformin and lost around 20 lbs in say 2 months, but stopped and then lost my focus with family stress ... trying again now but I only have 1 month supply.
  • Sandythinandfit
    Sandythinandfit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What Kayakeya says. When you stop, you just want to eat all the time. But really, it's the same as anytime you lose weight on a "diet". I am thinking our fat cells have a memory.
  • kerryg4803
    kerryg4803 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Started Phentermine 4 days ago , prior to getting a prescription from the doctor I lost 6 lbs in a week by counting my calories and watching what I ate. I’m trying to do a complete lifestyle change and would eventually try to transition into being a vegan. Anyone with any advice?