Feb Daily, again and again! (And again and again...)

Options

Replies

• mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    First work out of February. Thanks to viral flu. Had to de-load a bit. Feeling more tired than usual after the workout. However it went smoothly during the lifting!!

February Weightlifting

Goal: 10 times ( 3 tim/wk)
    Done: 1 /10

14/2/18
    Set A
    Squat 5x5 27 kg
    Bench press 5x5 24.5 kg
    Barbell rows 2x5 3x10 30 kg

Pull down 10×3 20 kg
    Pull in Seated 10×3 20 kg
    Dumbbell side raise 10×3 2.5 kg
    Triceps extension 10×2 5 kg
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    It was one of those sluggish, no energy type of morning. I was looking forward to the gym but I would be lying if I said I wasn't dragging my feet through it.

Still pleased with what I got done. I wanted to quit, but I just bought a tshirt that says "We Don't Quit", so I really didn't feel like I had a right to!

Bench
    45x8, 65x5, 80x5, 97.5x5, 110x3, 122.5x5, 95x10

P. Rows
    45x8, 65x5, 75x5, 95x5, 105x3, 120x5 (last 2 were pretty ugly, though), 95x10

rows are startign to catch up to bench! Wee! (Even though right side felt so much heavier than left. I doubled check like 5 times to make sure I had the right plates :|)

every 30s x 5 minutes setups

1) 2 DB hand power snatch x4 (2x25lbs)
    2) 2KB hang clean and press x3 @ 30
    3) 2KB hang squat clean x3 @ 30 -- this one was awful. I'm sore from yesterday. hang squat cleans are like a kb swing into a clean into a squat. The core gets rocked something fierce and the legs work a LOT. 30 reps in 5 minutes is actually quite a lot!

4 min AMRAP KB TGU @ 20lbs -> 14 total (7/side)

Yep. Tomorrow will be a rest day.
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    First day back lifting after more than a week off because of sickness.
    Got 5x5 at 95 pounds on bench so that felt good.
    Squats 5x95, 5x115, 5x135, 2x155
    OHP 5x5 65 lbs
    Deads 5x145, 3x205, attempted 225
    but it just didn't happen today.
    5x5 assisted pull ups with the purple band.
    So it was an okay gym session, not great but not terrible.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    @chichidachimp Thanks for the kind thoughts <3

My kiddo was sick this week so only two gym sessions before a work training weekend, but I made the most of it. Hit a major deadlift milestone for myself and had a gym buddy record me doing the lift. I've watched it a dozen times already. I'm so proud of myself!

Pause squats (3 sec pause) 3x5 @ 132
    Bench: 3x5 @ 87
    Sumo deadlifts: 1x5 @ 135, 1x3 @ 155, 1x3 @ 175, 1x1@ 195, 1 @ 200!!! Yaaaaaay!
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    So, I was at work late, and have tons of things to do before leaving on a trip tomorrow, forgot my workout shirt, ankle hurt, still sore from earlier in the week, and really didn’t want to work out. But my attitude sucked, and I haven’t deadlifted in so long it’s beginning to psych me out... so I made myself go. And deadlifted in my work shirt But I skipped the conditioning bit. Maybe it will make for a nice quick get back from trip workout.

Deadlifts-that I think has been almost two months since I’ve done
    5 x 85
    5 x 105
    5 x 125
    5 x 135
    5 x 155
    3 x 175 (was supposed to be 5+ but this dummy didn’t think she might need chalk)
    5x 175 (with chalk this time)

Rows
    3x10 @ 50

Straight leg deadlifts
    3 x 12 @ 65 (should be easy, but fml)

Face pulls
    2x20 @60
    20 @ 70

Screwy ankle is pissed at me. Which makes me worry that the progress I thought I was seeing was mostly from being a lazy slob and not from actual progress. Guess we will see what pt says tomorrow. It is moving better.... but really it’s just unstable and pissed over a greater range of motion from what I can tell. :(
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Soo tired lifting day. Almost bailed...twice but I made it.

5x5 squats 140
    5x5 OH 60
    1x5 DL 175. Was supposed to be 185 but after one attempt when the weight didn't budge I decided it was time to go home.
  • krokador
    Options
    I was awake at like 4:15 this morning! What is this sorcery?! Haha! But then got caught up doing stuff and ended up going to the gym at the same time as usual... fail! lol

Let me start this one off by admitting that going straight into 5/3/1+ week after a week of no lifting was, perhaps, a bad idea.

Deadlift 45x10, 95x8, 115x5, 135x3
    165x5 (was supposed to be 175 but plate Math I could not do!), 205x3 (double overhand here, too. Need to work dat grip!),
    222.5x5 (!)
    175x10

OHP 35x8 (after nearly knocking my teeth out on the first rep... WTF Mel?!), 45x5, 55x3
    70x5, 77.5x3, 87.5x6 I think? I know I tried another rep and couldn't push it past my nose xD
    70x9

So, CNS was friend, on to an E2MOTM x12 min (6 rounds total) of a nasty lil double bell complex:
    10 swings
    8 push presses
    6 power squat clean (touch the ground every rep)

The squat cleans were basically the death of me. Struggled through them, but managed 4 out of 6 rounds with 2x30lbs, and the other 2 with 2x20lbs (gym doesn't have 25lbs KBs)

But I wasn't quite done yet! Plan said 4 rounds for time of 15 pull-ups and 15 HR push-ups. I made it through 2 rounds and 14 pull-up sin 10 mins, and called it a day.

My EH. VER. Y. THING. HURTS.
  • mustb60
    Options
    @chichidachimp Thanks for the kind thoughts <3

My kiddo was sick this week so only two gym sessions before a work training weekend, but I made the most of it. Hit a major deadlift milestone for myself and had a gym buddy record me doing the lift. I've watched it a dozen times already. I'm so proud of myself!

Pause squats (3 sec pause) 3x5 @ 132
    Bench: 3x5 @ 87
    Sumo deadlifts: 1x5 @ 135, 1x3 @ 155, 1x3 @ 175, 1x1@ 195, 1 @ 200!!! Yaaaaaay!

Amazing feat!! Congratulations! :)
  • mustb60
    Options
    February Weightlifting

Goal: 10 times ( 3 tim/wk)
    Done: 2/10

16/2/18
    Squat 5x5 27 kg 59 lbs
    OP 5x5 24.5 kg 54 lbs
    Dead lift 5x2 50 kg 110.2 lbs
    Pull down 10×3 20 kg
    Dumbbell side raise 10×3 5 kg
    Triceps extension 10×2 10 kg

14/2/18
    Set A
    Squat 5x5 27 kg 65 lbs
    Bench press 5x5 24.5 kg 59.5 lbs
    Barbell rows 2x5 3x10 30 kg

Pull down 10×3 20 kg
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    geez. i've just ignored everybody and now i dive in here to talk about meeeee and jump out again. i hate it when real life drives you so far up your own *kitten* you can't see the people around you clearly. sorry guys.

in the rehab ward still. not finding a steady groove with it, but i went to t-day anyway and actually tried out my overhead press. i can still do 45 with my heels nice and strict, so that was nice. tbh i think i don't really want to commit to lifting again until i'm back to where i'm able to bike. because trying to fit the gym into a walk/bus/drive kind of life is just hard enough that i don't overcome the apathy.
  • krokador
    Options
    I was expecting tons of DOMS feels this morning, and had none. So back to the gym I go! Basically 1 week left til I start the xfit open, so it's time I got a little oly lifting in!

Power snatch, 15 min to 1RM. Got 90lbs twice. Failed 95 twice. I think a lot of it comes down to my technique being rusty, so I'm not too worried about being 12lbs down from my PR.

I then did EMOTM x8 of doubles @ 72.5lbs (80%)

Moved on to a more cardio-y session: 4 min ON / 1 min OFF
    - 400m row (2:00/2:07/2:03)
    - R.A.T.:
    1. Alt KB power snatch @ 35lbs => 24 total
    2. Alt KB clean & press @ 35 lbs => 22 total
    3. 2 DB thrusters @ 20lbs => 14 total

And then 3 rounds of
    - 100ft 2KB Overhead walk (2x30lbs)
    - 100ft 2KB rack walk
    - 25 hollow rocks

I think it took about 9 minutes? Rested a little, then did EMOTM x5 : 6 burpees. Which looked a lot more like the xfit flopees. Which is good cuz I need to get used to doing them. But bad because I only did like 7-8 strict of the whole 30. Means I got work to do!

About to go for a walk now, and then vacuum the apartment. I don't care what anyone else says. Vacuuming is a sport. And I hate it. Yuck.
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Accidental personal best today on the bench press. Meant to be doing 32.5kg but put 2.5kg plates on bar not 1.25kg
  • mustb60
    Options
    Accidental personal best today on the bench press. Meant to be doing 32.5kg but put 2.5kg plates on bar not 1.25kg

Wow!!! Nice feat!!
  • krokador
    Options
    I was so out of it yesterday I barely even got chunks of walking in xD My body's still not happy with the way I have treated it recently O_o

Back at it this AM though. Taking a break from 5/3/1 for the crossfit open, so I am trying to get myself used to more big lift volume, as opposed to pure strength now.

Back Squat [4x6] 45x5/5, 65x5, 85x5, 105x3, 125x6, 130x6, 130x6, 135x6
    Works sets had push-ups in between them, 6/5/5/6

Did some pendlay rows too. Just trying to keep the back happy. [3x6]
    45x8, 65x6, 75x4, 85x6, 90x6, 95x6

Strenght rotations: emotm x 18
    1- 2KB Power Squat Clean @ 2x30 - yep, I still HATE these xD
    2- 2DB Floor Press @ 2x40 x 10 (5 out of 6 sets. Got 8 on my second to last)
    3- Broad Jump x 6 - my distance sucked at these

5 min AMRAP
    - Burpee to target x 1,2,3,...
    - Ab mat sit-up x 3,6,9,...

Made it to 5 burpees/15 sit-ups + 2 burpees. I had more in my engine, but my energy just wasn't there anymore. I only slept like 5 hours last night :/

And as part of my open prep: every 30s x 5 min
    Squat thrust (low) box jump over x2
    12' box. Did actual burpees on the very last repeat. Just trying to get a rhythm and build some confidence getting onto boxes again. I'm like 99% sure burpee box jumps are gonna come up, so I need to be prepared!
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Squat day.

5 @ 45
    5 @ 60
    5 @ 70
    3 @ 80
    3 @ 90
    3+ @ 105 (made it to 7 before it felt like form was deteriorating, which is way better than I expected)

Leg press
    3 x 10 @ 150

Lunges
    4x down and back @ 40
    These went badly enough that pt and I may need to chat about this. I think tomorrow or Friday will be retest day before my next doc follow up anyways, so good timing

Hip thrusts - These still bug me from a stubbornness perspective

3x10 @ 35

Seemed weird that this was all there was, but I think I will still be sore for sure.

I also need to get diet back under control. 4 days of gluttonous vacation did not help the already increasing weight.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    I've been MIA since August when my life took a drastic change. We converted our home into a Duplex and rented the main level out and moved from Minnesota to Arizona. We live in our RV at a resort and we absolutely love it here. The downside is that the exercise room here only has a Smith machine. I can't believe that anyone that lifts would buy that to do lifts with especially squats. Since I hate going to a gym I have only been swinging my Kettlebell and feel like I shouldn't post here because of that. But I really miss everyone here so I thought I would say hi! It's nice to see that many of the regulars are still here!

<3 Mary
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been MIA too! A fractured hip sustained from overtraining in May last year has taken FOREVER to heal....I'm still not quite there yet, but I am allowed back in the gym.....frustratingly my general fitness has taken quite a bashing....I was on crutches until October, then a walking stick for a while...even now, walking at any speed gives me a problem.

BUT, I am determined....and I am also listening to my body. I have crept back into the gym, and was glad to see that the squat rack didn't turn its nose up at my return! I've started right from scratch, with cardio on the bike or the cross trainer only, and then with only minimal resistance, and 5x5 from the very beginning. That means, newbie gains.....and also that feeling of being perpetually hungry that I had forgotten existed!

My upper body strength isn't so bad - lugging oneself around on crutches does keep the shoulders working, but I hadn't realised just how many things need a strong hip....squats and deads, yup, I get that they use your hips....hip thrusts and kettlebell swings, yup, get that too....but bench presses and the like - I hadn't factored the hip thing in there. Hey ho, I shall get back to it.

So far I'm back up to:

sq 37.5kg
    DL - 50kg
    Row - 35kg
    BP - 40kg
    OHP - 27.5kg

and I've managed a few KB swings with just a 6kg bell.

Baby steps.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    @kimiuzzell sorry to hear about your hip! Nice to see you back at it! I can't wait until summer when we go home for a couple months. Then I'll be able to lift again. Unless someone on here has advice on how to use the smith machine for squats that doesn't feel extremely odd!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    wow, that's a big thing especially if it was a hip. i've been out since early dec and just kind of . . . yeah.

getting back is great and restart sounds like a good idea. i'm not even doing my rehab consistently right now, sigh.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - it has certainly made me think about things differently. I am learning to pay more attention to my body and not just "push through". Mind you, when I look back at what I was doing at the time of injury, it really isn't surprising that something had to give....just a shame it was literal!

Back in the gym this morning - that's my 3rd visit this week so I feel as though I have taken control properly now.

SQ - 5x5 @40kg
    Row - 5x5 @35kg
    BP - 5x5 @37.5kg

seated rows 3x8 @ 33kg
    Lat pull downs 3x8 @33kg

@fanncy0626 - my husband uses the smith machine but I have never got to grips with it. It is one of the few things that drives me to tears with frustration, so I now stay well away from it!

@canadianlbs - sorry to read that you have been sidelined too.....we will get there!