Getting up to speed

Options
AusManok74
AusManok74 Posts: 38 Member
Hi Everyone, I'm still fairly new to running, I'm in my forties and I started just before the middle of last year doing some regular running, and by around September was in a routine of running 5 times a week. I'm currently up to around 60kms per week, running 5 days, with some cross training and/or walking on my off days. I've changed up my diet to add in more carbs to make sure I should have enough energy. I'm mixing up my training to include tempo runs, hills, intervals, a trail run and a long run on different days.

However so far despite regular solid training I'm still a long way off the pace of some of the others in my running group. I know it takes a while to build a base as a new runner and being competitive is certainly not everything, but I am curious to know how long it took some others to get towards their peak performance? Also if you can see anything I've said that you think I should work on or you have questions about please ask. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You've been running for less than 12 months. how long have the people you are comparing yourself to been running?

i have been running for 3 1/2 years, and still making improvements to my PBs.
  • AusManok74
    Options
    Thanks, probably a stupid question, but anyway. Not sure how long but certainly for a number of years. Good to know you're still improving, hopefully I can for quite a while to come.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I've been running since Jan 2011 and I'd have to say my performance has been really variable over that time.

Two things that influence that are
    1) consistency - I've never stopped running in those 7 years, but my mileage and consistency had been variable as life gets in the way.
    2) bodyweight - you look like a slim guy so may not be an issue for you. I've tended to yo-yo between 90-105kgs and it has a huge impact.

To answer your question, it took me 3 years to hit my best, and time is certainly a factor there, but also I believe that performance came from following a well structured HM plan, whereas most of the time I run for enjoyment and however I feel like
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone's different, but I'm going on 2 years of running and still improving... hoping to keep the progress going!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am turning 46 this month and I have been running almost continually for about 20 years, although I only started making a conscious effort to improve my pace about 4-5 years ago. Up until last winter when I had to take a break due to hamstring tendinitis, I was seeing steady improvements in all of my race times. Currently I am in the process of trying to catch back up to where I was. I am only slightly off my PR pace for most distances, but whether or not I will ever be able to get back there is still a question.

There is a generally well accepted theory in the endurance running community that an 80/20 program of running yields the greatest improvements in performance. This means that you run 80% of your runs at a slow/easy pace and 20% at a much faster pace (speed work, tempo runs, etc). The premise is that those easy days allow you to get adequate recovery and really get the most bang for your buck on the speed work. In addition, running slow, easy miles is critical to building a proper foundation on which to lay it all. The book the helped me the most is "80/20 Running" by Matt Fitzgerald, but there have been many other published works on the subject.

It sounds like you have advanced pretty quickly given that you have only been running for less than a year. Base building takes time. I think I was able to see quick gains because I had many years of base miles behind me, but even still, I had to be patient. I think the number one thing to keep in mind is that rest/easy days are important, not only for avoiding injury, but also for building strength. Keep at it and best of luck to you!
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Also, if you are at 60k, you're in the recovery zone for competitive runners. You have plenty of room for improvement. I can't race well below 100k/ week.

I made huge improvements in performance after many years of running, when I added in speedwork and started training with a team.
  • AusManok74
    Options
    Hey thanks for the feedback everyone, lots of useful tips in there!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 6 years and I'm still seeing improvement. Consistency is key, but so is following good training plans so that you are challenged without overdoing it. I found that on my own I tended to push too hard, which led to injury.

Don't compare yourself to other runners. Speed is partly genetic, partly training, partly long term consistency. I know runners who began in high school and others, like me, who didn't begin until they were in their 50s. All you can do is compare yourself with yourself. Race every couple of months and see whether you are getting faster.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ... edited I noticed that others had mentioned my points!
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I recall a recent article that said a new runner's performance will improve for 3 - 5 years, based on improvements to aerobic capacity and running efficiency. I haven't been able to relocate the article, and I don't recall if it took into account training plans or load. Of course adding speed work or adjusting your training plan can produce improvements even for people that have been running for decades.

Be careful of comparing yourself to other based on speed or weekly distance. While @Vladimirnapkin might view 60k as "recovery zone for competitive runners" he doesn't really define what a competitive runner is or at what race distance. Is he talking about being competitive at the local, regional, or national level? I assume he is talking about the marathon distance.

Among my group of running friends I am very competitive, and within my metro region running community I'm in the top 1/3 at most events. I usually max out at around 40 miles/65k per week and the only time that I approach 60 miles/100k per week is when I'm training for a 50k or a 50 miler.

After I established my running base, my largest performance improvements came once I started running more consistently. Before that I would train for an event and then slack off (<15miles/25k per week) until I signed up for another event. I also saw improvements when I added weight training.

As far as diet, if you are already hitting your targets for protein and fat, then the extra calories you burn from running can be carbs, but they don't need to be. If you already tend toward high amount of carbs, then there is no reason to increase your carbs even more, especially if you aren't hitting your other macros. You might want to check out this post on setting your macros, http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1. While carbs are broken down into usable energy faster than fat or protein, that only really becomes an issue if you are running long enough to deplete the glycogen store in your muscles, deplete your blood sugar levels, and you are running hard enough to exceed the conversion rate of body fat to energy.

Over time you might be able to catch up with some of your faster running mates, but some of them might always be faster. Limit the competitiveness and enjoy the companionship.