How do you reward yourself?

Options
MzCara148
MzCara148 Posts: 205 Member
I really need to decide what to use for rewards for my short term goals.

Do you guys have some inspiration?

Replies

• crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I reward myself with events. The reason I’m losing weight is to regain my active and fun life, so as it gets easier to do things I reward myself by doing more things that I used to love doing (and perhaps eventually things I’ve always wanted to try) like camping, going to the beach, doing a 5k, going to amusement parks... it helps me to keep going because it’s a reminder of the life I’m gaining.
  • Dad4Myla
    Dad4Myla Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A new shirt, new shoes, a meal out, concert tickets etc
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I've primarily been rewarding myself with new clothes lol We won't speak of how much money I've spent in clothes in the last year, or even just the last week! I spent way too much of my STIP bonus pay on clothes in the last week lol

When I reached 300 lbs, I rewarded myself by buying a new bicycle. I haven't been able to use it much yet, but I hope that will change this spring.

At 275 lbs, which was 100 lbs loss, I bought a sapphire ring, earrings, and necklace for myself from an actual jewelry store - this is big, because other than my highschool class ring, I don't have any jewelry from an actual jewelry store; all my stuff is cheap costume.

If I can EVER get to 260 lbs, I think I'm going to either pay for a makeup and beauty session at Ulta Beauty or go get a second set of earrings in each ear. I've just got one set that I've had since I was a little girl, but I'm finding I like dangly earrings and would like to wear studs with the dangly ones :grin: I'll do one of these for the 260 lb goal, and then probably the other for the 250 lb goal that follows that.

I haven't thought much about what I'll do for myself at 225 lbs, because I haven't thought that far ahead! Every since I hit 100 lbs lost, its like my body wants to sit down and enjoy the scenery instead of marching along to the next goal post, so I'm busy arguing with it and can't see that far around the bend!
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    People talk about non food rewards, but I usually already do the things people feel are rewards regularly. My logic is to practice extremely intense self care: massages, nails, toes, hair color, botox, products, etc as a baseline to create a minimum that i (and my body) deserve. It helps me to value my body and to spend time interacting with it. For me, who spends a lot of time in my head, it is kind of necessary to reconnect to my body. The reason I point this out is that you might consider reclassifying some of these rewards as baseline relaxing activities that you plan in for a healthy balance. Otherwise, if you don't hit your goal do you deserve nothing? Do you only plan things for yourself that you deserve because of hard work? I think adding these things can start shifting the perspective towards self worth regardless of weight or accomplishments.
    In addition to the baseline of stuff I do is: flowers I like, movies, plays, national theater live performances, trips, and music.
  • MzCara148
    Options
    I saw the blog of a user here who had a "contract" with herself and one thing she had in there were mini-goals and "rewards" for making those goals. I really liked the idea but haven't figured out a good reward system. I haven't lost enough for new clothes yet - but I am definitely looking forward to that. Just looking for ways to make sure I keep my feet on the path.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    well, for smaller things, you might reward yourself with, say, a fancy body wash set or such - something you wouldn't normally buy typically, but something that would seem like an indulgence. Or a pretty set of earrings or something like that. I guess it really depends on what your likes are and your hobbies. If you sew or craft, you could always reward yourself with something in that arena, such as a really pretty yarn to crochet or knit with, fabric for something new like curtains, or a new pattern or something along those lines.

You could get a new pair of shoes, or even go with something even simpler like a new coffee mug with a special coffee or tea style that you like. Doesn't have to be big; just anything that would feel like an indulgence, however small, and like a reward - just don't use food! lol
  • CheezWhiz88
    CheezWhiz88 Posts: 116 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am losing weight because my husband and I want to start a family, so I buy baby stuff that costs the amount of pounds I have lost (ie: if I lose 10 pounds, maybe I buy a $10 outfit). Currently, I am saving up for blackout shades for the future nursery that are $30, so once I hit 30 pounds, I will grab them! Once I spend that money, those pounds can’t be used toward a future purchase. I figure it reaffirms why I am losing this weight, and allows me to limit baby splurging.
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i am easy , sugarfree jello LOL
  • meldwel
    meldwel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I haven’t quite figured out rewards yet either. I’ve considered buying a “goal outfit” but haven’t really looked/seen something I absolutely love yet. I have not even considered getting myself something for mini goals. I will need to think about it. Today I am buying an Airfryer, so I can count that as my 20lbs lost!! But I’m mostly getting it because I have Kohl’s cash and coupons and rewards that pretty much make it half price. Haha I have so many clothes in a few sizes, so I’ve made a deal with myself that I am not going to buy anymore until everything I have is too baggy. I love buying things for the house. Maybe that could be a good motivator. I like the idea @CheezWhiz88 has with buying a specific item that equals the lbs lost!
  • cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    @theowlbox I LOVE the flowers idea I think I will do that! I have an office job and absolutely love to have fresh flowers on my desk (the one time a year my hubby buys me flowers). So I will buy them for myself the Monday following my goal so that I can enjoy them all week long. Flowers coming up in t-minus 8 lbs!
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    @meldwel you will love the airfryer , I have one , my son lives for ours , when I am eating veggies and meat and he wants fried chicken nuggets and fries , he can have his and i can have mine. also to reheat protein , I hate to reheat in the microwave ,(taste awful) but reheating burgers or chicken or pork in the airfryer is amazing . Good reward !!!

I love flowers ! I might go the garden kind , make me work outside . and try to grow some . I can kill plastic plants though , so maybe not , but will try LOL
  • fatoldladyonamission
    fatoldladyonamission Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I haven’t really been into the reward system myself but I like the idea. Though I can’t figure out how to use it yet! I think for me, my biggest reward will be when I’m under 225lbs and will be able to ride daughter's new horse! Until then I think I’m pretty much just trying to keep on keeping on, there’s also no real money now for anything other than necessities because of paying for the horse so I can’t really buy stuff! Well not yet a while anyway!
  • MzCara148
    Options
    @fatoldladyonamission - yes, I think riding that beauty will be a reward all of it's own. A gelding I presume? How many hands is he? I used to ride "western", is that a thing on your side of the pond? I was looking at your daughter and noticed what I would call an english saddle and then thought to myself, duh... she is on the other side of Atlantic.
  • bmeadows380
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @fatoldladyonamission & @MzCara148

learning to ride - western, English or whatever! lol - has been a huge pipe dream of mine for years, as I adored horses growing up and my favorite genre outside of fantasy is cowboy westerns, but I've been way too heavy all my life to even consider it. If I even manage to drop below 200 lbs, though, that's my reward to myself!
  • Mellykay88
    Mellykay88 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My BIG reward when I reach goal weight is going to be a trip to Disney World. I have twin nieces and I am so excited to ride all of the rides with them. I used to love amusement parks and fairs as a child, but by the time I was a teenager I was too big to fit most of the rides so I started telling people I had motion sickness.

In about 70 more lbs, the world will open up to me a lot more. A lot of things I want to do have 250 lb weight limits. I really want to zip line and do a ropes course.
  • MzCara148
    Options
    @Mellykay88 that sounds like a great reward. I really do have motion sickness and I love Disney World because there are rides there I can do that don't make me want to hurl, lol. Plus, it really is a magical place.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I'm also a big fan of subscription boxes for small periods of time. Birchbox, Fabfitfun, etc. It's a nice way to change it up. Also, foot massages! d5foa71dyeyl.jpg
    Here is my fabfitfun box. I dug it!
  • CheezWhiz88
    CheezWhiz88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I will have to check out an airfryer- I have a habit of buying food machines, but maybe it will get more use than my quesadilla maker, margarita maker, slider maker, cake pop maker or panini maker! :)
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I ended up getting the toaster/convection oven instead, though its been a lot of trial and error in learning to use the thing lol

From what I've read, the airfryer and a convection oven do the same thing, so which you get really depends on what you plan to do with it. I went with the oven instead because I thought it might be more useful for me.

The next thing I'm considering is getting one of those instapots :) But I don't have a whole lot of cabinet space for many more machines lol

I think that if I ever can manage to get down to the 260 lbs that is my current goal, that I'm going to get a second set of earrings. I've been wearing a lot of dangly earrings lately, and would like to also wear a coordinating stud!
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I also have trouble thinking of any reward things. @bmeadows380 , I saw where you mentioned a fancy body wash set. What a great idea!!!! <3 I love that one. I'm going to definitely use that one. I think I will have to bring him (Grover) with me because I can't smell anything anymore due to med side effects. I'm looking forward to my 1st goal now. Thanks @bmeadows380 .

I've been reading about the difficulties you've been having with your recent weight plateau. I hope that you mixing up something food or exercise wise will soon jump start your weight loss efforts. I'm sure it's quite frustrating. You've already lost so much. Maybe the going back to the basics will pay off for you. I wish I knew the answer you need.