What kind of riding does everyone do?

Options
Let's try to get this message board up and running again... what kind of riding does everyone do and where are your from?

Replies

• Suzie0269
    Suzie0269 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like trail riding (gaited and WTC) and I live in Southern New Jersey
  • BuffyBourbon
    BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'll play! I live in Kansas, and i ride & show American Saddlebreds. I used to do saddleseat and hunter, but after some wrist surgeries i mostly do western now - riding one handed means my bad hand can just kind of be a decoration and that's what it prefers!

My show horse (profile photo) is mostly retired this year, last year was his last year of big shows due to some health issues (and age, he's 21 this year). If i do any shows with him this year they'll just be local fun good weather i'm in the mood shows. Then we're sending the youngster out to the trainers at the beginning of March and we'll see where we go with him.

Also have a third horse, 22 this year, but she's been retired for several years because i'm too big to ride her =/. I'm going to get small enough to ride her again, but probably she'll still stay retired because she likes it a ton. =)
  • Snowdenfarm
    Snowdenfarm Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I always forget to check this page! I am so glad that you brought it back to life Suzie! I live in Pennsylvania. I grew up riding bareback, but have ridden western and hunters. I just started dressage in the past two years with a new horse. I (and my horse) quickly soured on traditional and even classical dressage training. We are currently pursuing what some call "natural dressage". I am not sure how it will be accepted in the ring, but we will go as far as we can go and I am not too worried about our scores. It is a fun journey.
  • sharonarkoff
    sharonarkoff Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    "Dressage for Dummies" to teach horse to use himself properly and to teach me how to be a good communicator and quiet rider, and to be able to sit through/work through any scary monsters out on the trail. I love trail riding, but new(ish) horse thinks it's pointless. He does not see why we are wasting time out wandering around in the woods. If he is leading another horse or is being asked to do purposeful trot sets, while being out in the woods, that is acceptable. Horse is a Morgan and has that Puritan work ethic.
  • peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem, sharanarkoff. My horse loves trail riding but is awful and rude when doing ring work (dressage). He hates going around in circles. I'm in Connecticut. I work at a dressage barn, but ride less than I would like to.