Staying healthy & active

Options
What kinds of things are you ladies doing to maintain a healthy pregnancy?

We all know that no matter how healthy you are pre-preg, we crave the high carbs and food aversion can really mess with our diets. The yearning for a 7pm bedtime (and general fatigue) can really quash motivation to even get the dishes done after dinner, never mind trying to fit in a workout in the day.

Now that I am in the 2nd trimester and nausea is almost all gone, I have been going for bike rides, and walks. I have a husband who works away from the home most of the time and a toddler, so exercise (at a pace to get my heart rate going) seems to be harder to achieve. Workout videos are okay but with a "siamese toddler" (pretty much) it makes things more difficult. We live very far from any family or friends so finding "me time" is very rare, even though I am currently a stay at home mom.

I'd love to hear how you ladies are doing on your journey and how you are feeling. How do you stay motivated? How do you sneak exercise in to your day? I'm looking forward to this app showing my eating trends so I can be more accountable, aware of my eating habits.

Replies

• DaneDog28
    DaneDog28 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian Michael's "Yeah Baby!" book's workouts - I am used to going to the gym in the AM before work and have been trying to still do that during my pregnancy. I am 15 weeks and feeling good, and I have a desk job but I force myself to get up and move around - even using the bathroom on the second floor to climb stairs. I've also been using this app to make sure I stay on my normal clean eating plan as much as possible.
  • nebulas
    nebulas Posts: 49 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    So glad to see this topic!!!

I had a really rough 1st and 3/4 2nd trimester. So keeping ANYTHING at all down was the goal. The sickness really screwed with my pre-prego plan of working out throughout my pregnancy... I was lucky if I could walk 5 steps without getting sick.

Now that I am feeling better:
    1) I am focused on 30 minutes of activity a day. It can be a walk, jumping on the elliptical, doing yoga - ANYTHING. I've found I have to be really careful not to overdue things on my feel great days. I just can't work out like I used too. Which leads me to #2

2) Being better about listening to my body, taking each day as it comes.

3) Recently, watching my weight gain. My doc has advised me that while I could gain more weight and still be in the window for healthy, that with my frame size she doesn't recommend it. More weight will = more pain later on and I am already having some stomach and hip soreness. I am trying to use MFP to be really careful with my intake while ensuring I am giving myself and baby what we need. Tracking calcium, protein, and iron has been of key importance.

I really recommend yoga and walking to folks. Even if it's just 10 minutes at a time, 3 times a day. Getting my partner to remind me to get the 10 minutes right before bed in has been helpful. Sometimes it's hard to find the energy but I sleep better when I do (less pain).