Started again

Options
I started Metformin again. My fasting glucose was high last week and I'm very obese. To be honest I've used PCOS as an excuse for years. "Its impossible to lose weight with it so what's the point?" Well, the point is I'm only 32, have not had a period in 3 years, have a 9 year old son (he's a miracle), and am too darn young for diabetes! I promised my provider I'd try it again, get my bottom moving, and eat healthy. So for the past two weeks I've only drank water, have cut out caffeine, white grains, and sugar, and am working on making healthier choices.
I just wanted to share my plight with others who would understand!
Here's to a new life in the New Year!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on that. I'd regained from recent progress at my last Endo appointment. We agreed not just to get me back on Metformin again, which I'd never tolerated before, but to get up to an optimal dose. My blood glucose isn't out of whack yet, just my insulin levels, as my body still protects me from the high glucose by storing it all...

I had to start out at 250 mg (broken 500 mg ER pill) once per day for a week, then twice a day for a week, and so on. I'm finally up to 500 mg in the AM and PM, and it's finally helping... Every time I increase the dose again though, I end up with the side effects, so I'm going to stay at this dose for a little bit, and try each Monday to increase again... Doc did tell me that some doses might take me longer to get used to. His goal for me is 1000 mg at AM and PM...for 2000 mg a day. It's been great to do the slow build up so as not to have all the bad side effects...

I'm 41, and I have a 17 year old daughter, but the rest I agree with, except for the caffeine! My thyroid is still wacky enough that I can't manage without the caffeine...but I easily skip it every weekend, so it is all good...

Being finally up to 1000 mg of Met, it's having an effect on my cravings and inner-sweets-junkie... I never got up over 500 mg daily before... I'm hoping by the time I get up to 2000 mg a day that we're talking life changing effects.

Best of luck to us, @JennyAmi1985
  • futmom
    futmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was off it for years, got back on last year because I was at that point where the doc said I'm on the brink of getting diabetes. Scared me. Was doing so well with the pills then went on a week long biz trip and messed me up. Have been off it since November. I need to get back on and after reading your messages I am going to start again tonight. Thank you both for reminding me how important it is. I've been on a better diet without dieting since mid Jan and started an exercise program. I feel motivated to do better this time. I wish you luck on your journey and if you need support I'll be here since we need to help each other out.