Introduce yourself

Options
2»

Replies

• OBXbrit
    OBXbrit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Finepanamama - good for you! Even a small windowsill garden of herbs and a few larger containers of your favorite veggies can make a big difference in the cost and availabilty of GOOD food. I've just started seeds in the green house - a variety of peppers and tomatoes - can't wait!
  • no6016
    no6016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi Kids! I found my group! Hooray! I have a crazy suburban yard where I have 15 fruit trees and 12 veggie bins, all currently empty. Waiting for next weekend. I am a master gardener in California, which means I learn from my mistakes and know where to get good information. I use Mfp as part of my new training plan with a trainer and nutritionist who has recently given me ideal macro counts for my journey. Looking forward to planting soon, but I am proud to say my recent COSTCO card looked greener than it ever has. There should be an award at the checkout. I am 51, Navy wife, parent of a college son, and high school daughter. I have 3 cats, a pug, and fish in the fountain. And a truck named Duke who hauls my garden goodies!
  • no6016
    no6016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow gardeners. I am a mid-something who is on a journey to losing 100 pounds. The weight has crept up on my over the past ten years and rather than deal with it as it happened I decided to just weight until I was really out of shape and frightened for my health to do something about it - ugh. I was very excited to find you within the weight loss journey community (not typically two areas that you see together). I no longer grow vegetables because I spent a good portion of my summer battling the squirrels, chipmunks and ground hogs for my tomatoes, etc. I live in an area of NJ that is surrounded by farmers markets and great options for fresh produce so no worries there. I DO love the rest of my gardens which are a mix of ornamentals, pollinator gardens, and containers. Gardening is a great stress reliever and keeps me connected to mother earth. Looking forward to chatting with everyone.

Hey, I am a former jersey girl. You do have the best produce around, the most flavorful of my childhood! I have pollinators as well, by planning and ooo I like that color.

I dabbled in MFP, and now paired it with a training plan and a nutritionist. I will say that I was ready for training after taking a month of walking and Zumba and some kickboxing. For me the recent piece of the fact that my training program (lose weight, gain shape) came with a nutritionist was um horribly terrifying, and now has settled my head (like weeding does). Glad you are here!
    Hello! I'm Hazel from Wales in the UK, I'm 46 and I like to think I'm fairly green-fingered (we say green fingers, not thumbs over here :smiley: ). I'm quite new to MFP but I've lost 40lbs already by calorie counting.

I've rented an Allotment from my city council for the past 4 years, but I moved to a newer, bigger plot recently. The winter's been harsher than usual here this year so we're all about a month behind on our planting! Anyway, this is a photo of my allotment (as it looked last summer) - there are empty plots either side of mine which doesn't make it look so neat and tidy!

6jspbkzx4wfc.jpg

I grow all kinds of veggies on the allotment, also some fruit (raspberries, blackcurrants, plums, goosberries), and I have dozens of big pots of herbs growing in my back garden at home. What a lovely group to find - I hope to get to know some new like-minded people!
    Hello! I'm Hazel from Wales in the UK, I'm 46 and I like to think I'm fairly green-fingered (we say green fingers, not thumbs over here :smiley: ). I'm quite new to MFP but I've lost 40lbs already by calorie counting.

I've rented an Allotment from my city council for the past 4 years, but I moved to a newer, bigger plot recently. The winter's been harsher than usual here this year so we're all about a month behind on our planting! Anyway, this is a photo of my allotment (as it looked last summer) - there are empty plots either side of mine which doesn't make it look so neat and tidy!

6jspbkzx4wfc.jpg

I grow all kinds of veggies on the allotment, also some fruit (raspberries, blackcurrants, plums, goosberries), and I have dozens of big pots of herbs growing in my back garden at home. What a lovely group to find - I hope to get to know some new like-minded people!

I am stealing the words allotment and green fingers!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hey kids! Since I see a lot of newbies on this thread (which is AWESOME), thought I'd share a couple tips for posting in a group or forum. Just in case you didn't know these things, because I didn't when I first started . . . .

If you click on the little star at the top of the thread, then you will get a notification every time someone posts on the thread.

The notifications are found up at the top on the right hand side of any of the community pages on the MFP site. Just click on the little bell and you'll see your notifications. The drop down menu will take you directly to the page.

Also, if you put an @ in front of someone's user name, then they will also get a notification when you comment on something they've said. For example, I wanted to say thank you to @kerrimiller2018 for starting this group! This will be a lot of fun! And welcome @no6016! Now, they will both get a notification that I mentioned them in a post. You also get notified if someone clicks on "quote" (below) and then replies to your post.

Happy posting!

• OBXbrit
    Options
    NO6016 - Mach 3 with your hair on fire! I like you already!
  • OBXbrit
    Options
    Thank you, @RaeBeeBaby! I am new to this, the group thing, the social networking all together...So, much appreciated!
    Question to put to you all -
    Yesterday I loaded firewood into the Ranger at the barn, unloaded it at the garden shed, split two wheel barrow loads and wheeled them to the patio.... surely this should count as exercise. I'm running into this problem nearly everyday. I don't have a gym membership, I don't have exercise equipment at home - I do practice yoga, stretches every morning, and sometimes at other times of day - when there's time and I can get away from the chaos. So you see, a lot of what is listed doesn't apply, as for substituting I'm simply guessing...can't be accurate. ?
    Gardening - it's there, but what about shoveling and hauling a truckload of manure. That's just not the same as planting and weeding.
  • OBXbrit
    Options
    @RaeBeeBaby - WVU and Marshall - men's college basketball...
    My green house is small and other than the door there is a vent/ window in the top that I open - but it get blistering hot so other than starting all of my garden plants and wintering some hardy pottedherbs it is obsolete in the heat of summer - i like your idea!
  • kerrimiller2018
    kerrimiller2018 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    OBXbrit wrote: »
    Thank you, @RaeBeeBaby! I am new to this, the group thing, the social networking all together...So, much appreciated!
    Question to put to you all -
    Yesterday I loaded firewood into the Ranger at the barn, unloaded it at the garden shed, split two wheel barrow loads and wheeled them to the patio.... surely this should count as exercise. I'm running into this problem nearly everyday. I don't have a gym membership, I don't have exercise equipment at home - I do practice yoga, stretches every morning, and sometimes at other times of day - when there's time and I can get away from the chaos. So you see, a lot of what is listed doesn't apply, as for substituting I'm simply guessing...can't be accurate. ?
    Gardening - it's there, but what about shoveling and hauling a truckload of manure. That's just not the same as planting and weeding.

I was wondering that myself. I’ve just been logging my activity as gardening but it also included a lot of yard work like raking and landscaping etc so I figure it’s better to underestimate than overestimate.
  • OBXbrit
    Options
    @kerrimiller2018, I'm finding that a lot of what I do - that I know is bloody physically taxing - is not listed. Lol!! So, like you I've come to the conclusion it's better to underestimate.
    No gardening today. Pouring the snow! :(
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I've done plenty of wood loading and hauling and it IS hard exercise! I've also hauled rocks around my yard for various planting bed projects and little rock walls. The MFP database doesn't have wood hauling/splitting or rock wall building in their database. LOL

You CAN create a custom exercise if it's something you think you'll be doing frequently. I've made a few of them myself. It's a little trial and error to get it right, but it works. You have to find an exercise in their database that seems equivalent in effort and then you can go by the calorie burn for that.

For example - I created an exercise for Disc Golf. It's something my husband and I do quite frequently. Sometimes the disc golf courses are pretty rugged and I carry my own bag which weighs between 10-15 pounds. So, I used "hiking with 10 pound pack" as my comparison exercise. Plugged in 60 minutes to see what the calorie burn was for an hour of hiking and then used that to build my custom exercise. Now when I log Disc Golf in my exercise diary it calculates it for me.

I was thinking for heavy gardening or wood hauling/splitting you could just use strength training, but it looks like general gardening is about the same calorie burn anyway.

It's kind of a guessing game with the exercise, as I'm sure MFP's calorie burns are not that accurate. It's still fun to keep track of it, though. Especially when you look back over a week and see how active you've been!
  • OBXbrit
    Options
    @RaeBeeBaby, I'll certainly try your suggestion - though I hope the snow stops blowing and handling firewood stops! Then onto yardwork, mowing, trimming - and I have 200 ft. of livestock fence to put in.... that'll be interesting to guesstimate. Lol! Might have to do a seasonal thing - come September it's cutting firewood! I'm getting too old for some of this stuff!! Lol!