Hello Spring! What did you do in your garden today?

Options
RaeBeeBaby
RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
I thought I'd start this thread for daily or weekly updates.

Since it's morning in my time zone I haven't done anything yet today, but I was busy yesterday. We had a rare 60 degree day and it was just lovely outside. The rest of the week will be cold and rainy in the 40's, so I wanted to take advantage while I could enjoy the sunshine.

I haven't gotten started on any veggies yet, but I wandered around and looked for the best containers. I now have an idea which ones I'm going to use for my container gardening. I have a lot of planter boxes and big pots, so I'm trying not to overdo it in my head! :wink: I checked on my geraniums that are still in the pump house. This was the first year I decided to see if I could "winter over" my geraniums. My father-in-law has done his for something like 20 years (same plants), but I just let mine die in the pots every year and buy a dozen new ones. Last year I trimmed them back really hard and moved them into the pump house near the pump. There's a window for light in that area and we also heat it when it gets really cold. I only watered them once or twice this winter. Lo and behold, they are all still alive and one of them is already blooming! I also did some gerbera daisies and they're still alive, too! When the weather warms up just a bit more I'll move them outside, add some fresh soil and fertilize.

I also planted a couple of deck rail planters with violas and lobelia. I thought I had enough for the two planters, but they look kind of sparse. I might have to get some more 6-packs or maybe I'll just add some alyssum seed in the open spaces.

Replies

• OBXbrit
    OBXbrit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Monday I tilled three of the five raised beds - the smallest is 8x16, the largest 20x20 - the other somewhere in between.
    Watered the pepper and tomatoes seeds I planted only days befote - they didn't need it, just wanted to be in the green house. Lol!
    I was happy to see that the cuttings I took then planted in pots a couple of weeks ago are sprouting - lilac, goodeberry, willow and privet hedge.
    Yesterday and today the weather is miserably cold - rain yesterday, snow today.
  • kerrimiller2018
    kerrimiller2018 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great thread @RaeBeeBaby! I have raised beds and started planting cold season veggies this week. Today I planted onions and earlier this week I planted peas, carrots and radishes. Last weekend the weather was so nice I convinced myself that spring was here, but now they’re saying we might get snow this weekend so I hope I didn’t start too early :#
  • no6016
    no6016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    @RaeBeeBaby @OBXbrit @kerrymiller2018
    I work a lot right now, it’s ok, but daily garden chores are not happening. However, Saturday after I get my hair redone (the roots etc) I will be out running amuck to 2 nurseries to pick starts. One day I will do seeds again, but for my busy life this works for now. For now I am just enjoying my colors, the baby hummingbirds that seem to come out just past dusk, and the bat that took a walk with me and my pug two nights ago.
  • OBXbrit
    Options
    @kerrimiller2018 I have seen my broccoli (nearly ready to harvest) freeze and come out of it as though it never happened. Actually the colder the weather the more flavorful... I would image this is true for other cole crops - lettuce plants are maybe too tender to handle a deep freeze or heavy snow.
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    we still have like a month and a half before we're out of frost danger, so I've been researching what I need to get/want to plant. As far as veggies go, I think I know what I want, but still figuring out what herbs to go for. If y'all have any suggestions I'd love to here em!
  • OBXbrit
    Options
    @no6016 bats are great! I have a small fishing pond on my place, and a creek not far from the patio so I'm for anything that will deter or illuminate mosquitoes! I bought a pattern to make bay boxes last year but haven't done it yet.
    Has anybody put up bat boxes? I understand they need to be 20-30' off the ground....?
    no6016 if i were to skip the vegetable and herb garden for a year I'd still have plenty to do with my ornamentals and fruits - I'm sure it's no different for you. We do what we have to do. :)
  • kerrimiller2018
    kerrimiller2018 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    jellis432 wrote: »
    we still have like a month and a half before we're out of frost danger, so I've been researching what I need to get/want to plant. As far as veggies go, I think I know what I want, but still figuring out what herbs to go for. If y'all have any suggestions I'd love to here em!

Cilantro and basil are my favorite herbs to grow because I love Mexican and Italian food! I think they’re definitely a must if you’re planning on also growing tomatoes so you can make fresh salsas and pasta sauces. Oregano, dill, rosemary and thyme are also good choices that I’ve had success with growing.
  • OBXbrit
    Options
    @jellis432 what she said (kerri)! I agree on all of them... Might add Sage, it winter's well, a bi-annual. Garlic, find a place and let it spread. There are other herbs for a variety of uses - lemon balm to repell mosquitoes...and there's medicinal - don't get me started. Lol!!
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    thanks @kerrimiller2018 @OBXbrit

growing something to repel mosquitoes sounds terribly enticing
  • OBXbrit
    Options
    RAIN MUD RAIN :/ MUD
  • OBXbrit
    Options
    At least it's warmer....
  • RaeBeeBaby
    edited March 2018
    Options
    It is so darn cold here I run out to the composter, dump it quickly and glance longingly at my flowerbeds as I scurry back to the house. I know it's not a snowstorm like they've had on East coast but it's record cold in Oregon for this time of the year. Cold, rainy and windy. Brrrrrr.

We are supposed to get up to 60 by Thurs-Fri, so I'm looking forward to that.

I have planted a few herbs in my yard - sages, rosemary, lemon thyme, lemon balm, different mints and lavenders. I love harvesting them and making my own tea blends. Did not know that lemon balm repels mosquitos! I'll have to plant some in pots on my deck.

I have not had good luck growing basil, though. The bugs seem to like it too much (not sure what bugs). I planted some from seed in my raised bed last year and it never really took off. I just bought a big pot of growing basil from Trader Joe's and am keeping it on my kitchen counter to use for cooking.

@OBXbrit - you could plant peas. My grandma used to always say "mud in the peas" and they'll do great!
  • OBXbrit
    Options
    @RaeBeeBaby Grandma's are usually right. I'll plant peas Thursday - thunderstorms today!
    Lemon grass is said to repell mosquitoes, as well...it does great in big pots but takes up a good bit of room.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    Gosh darnit! Nothing but rain forecast for the next week. I'm such a fair weather gardener I've done nothing. :smirk:
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    So, we ended up with a dry day. It was overcast but it warmed up to the mid-50's so I spent about an hour outside. Did a bit of weeding (of course) and also planted 3 primroses, 1 hyacinth and 4 pansies. Now it will rain for days so I don't need to worry about watering, but I better get back out there with slug bait sometime tomorrow.
  • OBXbrit
    Options
    The green house is bulging at the seams, barely room to move inside. Orchard is in bloom - lettuce, green onions, garlic are all up and growing AND IT'S ALL UNDER TWO INCHES OF WET SNOW. Heating the greenhouse $$$$
  • OBXbrit
    Options
    Waiting on daylight! It's supposed to be 61 degrees and sunny today! I'll probably work til I drop! It's been so long since we've had anything but lousey weather....
  • OBXbrit
    Options
    Had a beautiful few days, back to winter today. Snow flurries predicted for this evening.
  • OBXbrit
    Options
    @RaeBeeBaby, you hung longer than most - but I fear our "group" has fizzled out. Haven't heard from our leader for ever...some members posted once... this was my first group - lol!
    Adiós.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    OBXbrit wrote: »
    @RaeBeeBaby, you hung longer than most - but I fear our "group" has fizzled out. Haven't heard from our leader for ever...some members posted once... this was my first group - lol!
    Adiós.

I know! Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. I've been busy with other groups and really haven't had much to post here because the weather has been crap. Just rain and wind and cold, oh my! However, it is starting to warm up and sometimes that happens fast. We'll be 50 one day and 80 a couple later.

That's the thing about groups. Sometimes they do fizzle out. It's very frustrating when someone starts one and then THEY are the dropout. It's tough to keep it going because then the remaining few (you and me) have no ability to add announcements or pictures or anything. Maybe we should start a new group? I have some experience with groups and I think I could recruit a few more? I'll send you a friend request if I don't see you post here.