Wrist monitors and shopping carts

DrJanet98
DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
Went shopping yesterday, and I realized my Ionic wasn't counting my steps because I was pushing a shopping cart around instead of swinging my arms as I walked. I wound up doing an awkward one-handed push, having to bring my Ionic hand up whenever I needed to maneuver or turn, and I suspect at least a third of my steps weren't counted, probably more.

Has anyone found a solution for this? I find my Ionic missing steps a lot, really, unless I'm really swinging my arm around as I walk. I wish they'd give us the option of putting it in a pocket and counting like a belt clip model -- this was never a problem with my One!

Replies

• angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 159 Member
    nope, I just don't count those steps. I wish there was a way for them to update and make that problem better but Im not sure how. I feel bad for people that try to walk pushing a stroller or something.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    It depends for me, if it's crowded, it won't count, if I fly through the aisles, it will. I don't worry about it too much, I figure it will make up for the times my fitbit gives me crazy high burns.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Pull the cart behind you with your other hand. I work retail and with all of mine (Flex/Charge HR/Blaze) I had to do that when I was working on carts of product to put out.
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    I put it on my ankle. I have a large band though....
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    I've taken mine off my wrist, closed the buckle to the smallest diameter, and tied it into my shoelaces (double-knotted so it doesn't come untied).
  • jkbear40
    jkbear40 Posts: 37 Member
    I put my Fitbit(ionic) in my pocket face down. Picks up my steps that way. If I don’t have pockets, I pull from the side so my left arm swings.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    I've put my charge 2 in my pocket and got it to pick up my steps. Not sure how accurate it is since I only figured it out last shopping trips. Takes me about an 1.5 hours to do a full shop for the whole family, so I would like them to count.
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 647 Member
    I wish they still made the Fitbit One. I just put it in my pocket.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Put it on your upper body somewhere, belt loop even if secure - it's just looking for impacts to see steps to count and estimate distance.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I awkwardly push the cart with one hand, but i might try putting it through my belt loop as suggested , next time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Now, even on the wrist holding on to a shopping cart - would it see the impact and estimate a distance from one cart crashing into another?

Who is going to volunteer pushing around their cart crashing into others - 30 min probably be a good test.

Comparison numbers - or you were just having fun!
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    I've noticed that mowing my lawn (with a push mower) shows up as riding a bike. NOT! This was with my Charge HR. Got an Alta for Christmas so not sure yet what it will do. Good idea about putting it in the pocket.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    I awkwardly push the cart with one hand.

This is SOO uncomfortable for me...especially when you get a bad cart that swings to the left :o Watch out everyone!!
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    I take mine off and toss it in my pocket, and put it back on after I'm done.
  • Suzeq66
    Suzeq66 Posts: 28 Member
    edited March 2018
    I put mine around a belt loop on my pants. Then out it back on when I leave.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Yep, just put my alta in my pocket. Works totally fine.
  • very_berry_pop
    very_berry_pop Posts: 29 Member
    I used to work in café where I wasn't allowed to wear watch, I had my charge hr tied to belt loop and it worked fine.
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    My Fitbit Charge picks up my steps even if I am holding onto a trolley - I don't know why it doesn't work for others
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    I take it off and put it in my pocket.