Class and Practice Check in - Week of 4/2/2018

Options
Out_of_Bubblegum
Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
As martial artists who are also members of a WL and fitness website, it can be helpful for us to remain accountable to each other, and share training ideas.

Any time you participate in class, or practice out side of class, post here and let everyone know. You can write something as simple as "Went to sparring class... got my licks in", or get into as much detail on the practice as you'd like.

This post gets rebuilt every week, to remind us to approach each practice/training/class with a fresh perspective:

- Do today what others won't, tomorrow do what others can't.

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Helped out in the kids' class on Tuesday (I'm there anyway, so I may as well contribute to the community I love by holding pads and such), but I skipped my own training because I had a cold. (Trying to minimise the potential to pass it on.)

Had a short class on Wednesday, which include a game which tested punching speed. Not my forte, but it's only by identifying and acknowledging one's weaknesses that one can begin to improve them, eh?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Started replacing about half of my regular gym sessions with refreshing my memory on my old materials. Some things coming back pretty quickly, some not so much LOL.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Our Saturday class today was tournament kumite training. I was literally dripping with sweat! It was great!!!!!

Of course, being the only brown belt in the class, the one kid sought me out for a round. He was clearly trying to prove something. The next round the sensei sought him out. He must have seen that he needed to learn some patience and humility
  • HeliumIsNoble
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Missed class on Saturday, because one of my children had an accident in beforehand. (Fine now, but it looked far worse than it was, and he needed me with him.)

Trained Sunday- we had sparring. I thought I did a bit better than usual, and I attribute this to the reaction training I've been having since I downloaded a zombie apocalypse shooting computer game earlier in the week. Haven't played PC games for years, and I really think taking them up again is helping.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    the school has been on spring break and i am out of town the end of april to early may - so i'm squeezing in a month's worth of classes in one week starting on weds because we pay monthly. should be interesting! i also am having the hardest time practicing spear - even outside i keep hitting things, the thing is so freaking long. we live on a hill so the outdoor space that is actualy flat is kind of small and terribly close to the house :P
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday - check
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've not been posting much (work is crazy) but still training like mad - karate is my down-time and my stress relief! Son 1 and I graded in our kobudo class this week, I now have 4th kyu grades in sai and katana. The grading was tough compared to a karate grade, not so much physically (I didn't break a sweat, a karate grade would have me dripping), but a lot more of the material was vague - demonstrate a number of defences against different weapons, but being told the weapon and attack on the spot so you really need to think of something effective quickly. The free fighting section was terrifying, even wearing full body armour I hate fighting people with weapons (we used wooden bokken for the katana section but I had to use my metal sai)
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Didn't do any training last week - was pretty sore after my crash during one of my races the previous Sunday, and my sister was visiting so we went on some rides instead.

Back at it this week though, Monday in the books this morning.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    Last week: four classes + participation in black belt testing.
    This week, I've done two classes and will probably go once more at the weekend.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Grading in 3 weeks!!!! Next week I get in 3 morning sessions with the team, evening class and a leg lock seminar, so working towards it.

Not too worried about the results. Blue belt will be awesome, but if I don't get it, I get more opportunites to compete at white belt, which is not as tough a division. In blue belt I have this awesome girl in my division who I normally warm up with at comps. She just got silver at UAEJJF Worlds. She had a penalty for not taking her watch off and as there were no submissions or points, she lost on penalty!!! Oh, and she is a professional mma fighter.

Next comp we are focused on is ADCC though, my first no gi comp!!!
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    We were supposed to have a kata class on Saturday but it turned into a mawashi geri class. They took some awesome pictures too!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    Kicked off the new week with an hour's training
    Finally on my new black belt form, which will be my second. It's... interesting. The middle looks fun, but I'm struggling with the beginning.
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Awesome long weekend, including three morning sessions with the boys, Thursday evening class, private session with coach (such beautiful back takes and berimbola), grading prep session with the girls, grading prep with everyone, leg lock seminar and a hike to end it off!

The week ahead has me back to yoga after my routine was out of sync for a few weeks and normal routine most days! Grading in less than two weeks...
  • Dory_42
    Options
    I love Jiu Jitsu. Another great day today with loads of rolling and drilling and learning. Getting excited and nervous for grading!
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Our coach has pretty high standards, especially for blue belt and the syllabus is 4 pages long (with many items listed needing more than 1 variation of the item). When you first look at it, it's really intimidating but as I go through it, I realise I know most of it. Today I worked through 90% of it with my friend, checking with coach or one of the blue belts who was there when we were confused. Confusions generally were a result of us not realising what the move was called and finding we did know the move. Tomorrow we will run through the last of the list and then go over it all again next Friday in preparation for grading on Saturday. I'm trying not to stress about it, but it would be nice to grade before I turn 40 in July.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    After my morning Tang Soo Do class, a BJJ professor comes in and offers his instruction.

My own TSD instructor is working towards his BJJ Black Belt in this class.

Today, I figured why not and decided to roll, shrimp, and learn the absolute basics of side defense for an hour!

It's pretty good. I was a wringing, wet mess when I was done.

Then, appeared, for lunch, fajitas, and all was well.

Since I had the day off, I also went to the standard evening TSD class, just to see how it was ran and it was pretty good too.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I now also roll in Brasilian Jiujitsu, which immediately follows Tang Soo Do. I managed to find my old Judogis in a closet and came prepared to get folded like a pretzel.
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Awesome!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    I've turned up to training five days this week, and finally finished learning the order of the movements of my newest form, which I started back at the end of April, according to posts in this very thread.

It's great I've got the order down! Next I need to learn how to perform it with style, grace and confidence!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this group. I just began doing BJJ. My son in law is a sponsored professional BJJ fighter. My daughter and granddaughter are also involved. I figured I should see what it is all about. It's much different than the TKD I used to do but I am liking it.
This discussion has been closed.