Options
1235»

Replies

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,739 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Ive been a member of this group for a while but never post. I’ve been going to the gym consistently for about 2 months now. My gym isn’t the most equipped, it’s small, but it’s inexpensive. There’s 2 squat racks and those are the only barbells, and there’s really no open space to do other lifting with a barbell other than in front of those 2 racks. I’ve been loosely following the SL program but using dumbbells for the upper body things (still using the barbell for squats and DL obviously) i could use the bar for bench press but I got self conscious because I was only able to put little tiny weights on the bar and these guys would make jokes, like “did you wanna try putting some weight on there?” it was annoying. Sigh. I’ll probably switch to a bigger gym when my membership is up in nov. on a good note I got up to 115 lbs for DL last time, I was excited to use the 35lb plates lol.

Those guys are *kitten*. We all start somewhere. If they're harassing you, what about reporting them to the manager? Don't let meatheads scare you away if you enjoy lifting and want to progress with the bar! Just chuck a plate at them next time they make fun of you (don't do that).

Well I know he was just kidding around, not harassing me, but it still makes me feel awkward lol. I have only had 2 guys joke about it. I’ve been using dumbbells but I think I may switch to the barbell because I don’t really like using the dumbbells that much.

Some people can be right buggers! Do what feels comfortable for you.

Yesterday ended up being mostly upper body because my knee was almost better but not quite.

DB bench press 2 x 5 @ 30 lb db, then felt weak and did the next 3 sets with 27.5 pounders. Felt on some level like I forgot how to lift.

Bent over rows were much better. 5 x 5 @ 70 lb and felt more solid on them.

Close-forward-grip lat pulldowns 2 x 8 @ 85 lb, got only 6 on the third set

Single leg glute bridges with a 10-lb plate 3 x 10 each leg
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Well I know he was just kidding around, not harassing me

well, if you feel awkward and it's inhibiting you, canada's human rights thingy would call that harassment. 'just kidding' doesn't get them off the hook.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I technically lifted today. It was another terrible “I haven’t lifted in a week and I forgot how to do it”day.
    Bench
    10x45
    6 pull-ups black band
    5x 65
    6 pull-ups
    5 x 65
    6 pull-ups
    3 x 95
    5pullups
    5 x 105
    4 pull-ups
    5 x 105
    5 pull-ups
    5 x 105
    105 should be pretty basic at this point... and it sucked....

Dumbbell bench
    3 x 10 @ 30 (dropped weight based on barbell bench and it still sucked)

I stopped here.

This not having a gym in travel town is going to suck my soul bad enough... but if I forget how to lift by the time I actually get home every time.... this will get discouraging in a hurry.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Must... have... food...

Squats, W3D3

Was able to string a number of DUs together at a 3:1 pace again. Every time I tried to "speed" up the rhythm though, I stumbled. So still work to do!

1-arm DB snatches, 3/arm, 3 sets, 30s rest. All 3 rounds at 45lbs (people were watching me power that thing around like "how is she doing this?! O_o" today. So that was fun! lol. Hint: it's all in the hips -- and that's the reason why my max barbell snatch is 105, yet I can power snatch a single 50+lbs DB for a few reps)

Back squat 45x5/10/15/5, 75x8/8/12, 105x6/2 (and then I was like, nope, not ready to do good mornings her yet) / 9, 135x4
    work sets: 155x5, 165x3x3 (2 min rest between sets)

Front Squats 45x8, 75x6, 95x4, 115x3, 120x3, 125x2x3

legs are jelly. I did a bit of shoulder activation with resistance bands, too. And had a few attempts at getting a toes-to-bar (with momentum). Came short, but was a lot closer than I thought I would be.

I then came home, rested up a little, ate a fiber 1 bar and went back out for a 30ish minutes slog with zombies run. I think I accidentally turned the chases off, but that was actually a good thing. I got like 3.3km total in that time. Slow Mel is slow.

So yes, now I'm having a real meal! lol
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Yesterday:
    Squats 95lbs 5,5,5
    Deadlifts 115lbs
    OH press w dumbbells ... 15 lb dumbbells, 12,12,10. Will definitely go up to 20 lbs next time lol.
    I was thinking about adding in pull ups on the assisted machine but my arms were really tired after the OH presses and I was just like no.

Today we are cleaning out the backyard and I shoveled gravel into the bed of my husbands truck. That was definitely a work out hahaha omg. The previous owners of this house were insane with their rocks and gravel.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Squat program, W4D1

low rapid fire box jumps 3x3 @ 15' (with a depth broad jump on the last descent. Because plyo!)

Back squats w-u 45x5/10/5 (i forgot my valf raises, oops?), 75x4/8/15/4 (yeah I needed an extra set of slow reps to get into it. Tight lower back is tight.), 105x6/12 calf raises (there we go! lol), 135x4

Working sets (2 min rest): 155x8, 165x2x6, 175x3

Might as well call this one death. Lower back held very well, considering! I wasn't sure I would make it through. Hardest rep was the last one of the second set at 165. The short rest just... kills. But hey, maybe that means the 5x5 at 165 for the next workout is doable!

Front squats: 45x6, 75x4, 95x2, 105x5, 110x5, 115x5

I actually had time to do accessories today (this + wamr-up took exactly an hour), but I just couldn't be bothered today. Too tired. And I was starving. Live to fight another day, as they say!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    went to the gym for the first time in forever, and it had that usual soothing effect of 'for x hours i'm not going to be thinking about anything'.

still not lifting much, but i did do my next ohp workout at 45. 5 doubles, 3 triples. idunno about oerhead press. 45 pounds is okay but i'm really trying to work on whatever is mechanically strange about my left shoulder before the weights get any heavier. there's a kind of . . . clunk that happens when i'm locking out. not that i can't do the lockout and hold it, but like it's just happening through bone-to-bone angle mechanics, instead of being under the proper muscle control. so i'm working on that, but not knowing what might be causing it makes it a bit hit-and-miss. it seems like consciously focusing on keeping the bar closer to my shoulder on that left side may be helping a bit. most of the reps in today's sets happened smoothly and did not have that clunk, and then the other thing i do is try to get better thoracic extension on the left side. guess we'll see how it goes.

the only other thing i did was deadlifts with the same bar i was pressing with. basically deficit deadlifts, i guess - not that the bar was offset but it was only a couple of inches above the floor with the plates i had on. they weren't serious deadlifts, but it was all about trying to activate and properly use my leg and glutes on the left. LE SIGH. fifty pounds, and it's inconclusive whether it even means anything.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    ^^^ but anyway. strict pressing still, and making a point of driving through my glutes right as i'm starting the bar seemed to make a big difference. idk, maybe while i'm trying to strengthen that glute med i should go back to more feet-apart stuff, but it's so nice and badass to press with your heels together i hesitate.