Manually adding kcals from fitbit

Options
rikkejohnsenrij
rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
ok..I got my fitbit yesterday, and I think I'll like it. But from what I can read, I'll often have problems with fitbit and MFP not synchronizing...
so for those days I'll need to enter the excercise calories manually to MFP...can someone explain to me in simple sentences how I do the calculation...since most of my excercise comes from steps (walking and running) I dont use other ways of tracking my excercise

Replies

• Mojofilter
    Mojofilter Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit calorie adjustment is the difference between what MFP guesses to be your TDEE (based on how active you've told it you are) and your TDEE from Fitbit (based on how active you've actually been).

For example, if your MFP TDEE is 2000 calories and at the end of the day Fitbit is saying that you've burnt 3000 calories, you will get an adjustment of 1000 calories.
    If you don't because sync is down then you can manually add it as a cardiovascular exercise.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    Options
    but should I then subtract 500 calories to create my deaily deficit?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit for four years and I can count on one hand the number of times I had sync issues, and it was usually a systemwide outage like the one right now. If you are exercising, your Fitbit should already be creating an exercise entry that you can log those calories from for those days when the connection is down. Any other time, just let Fitbit take care of everything (and even when it's fixed, you'll still retroactively receive those calories).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    but should I then subtract 500 calories to create my deaily deficit?

Yes - look at your device for total calorie burn - subtract 500 and eat up to that much logging on MFP - never mind going into the red.
    You are smarter than MFP in this case because you know what the more accurate device is saying - MFP doesn't yet.

You could log a workout of whatever that red amount is if you indeed hit that eating goal late in the day - create one called Failed Fitbit sync so it stands out.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    Options
    thanks...then I tink I got it