5/1 Tuesday Day 1 SLBC: Why Sitting Is Harmful

Options
2»

Replies

• ashleypietz
    ashleypietz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting the videos. Great information to back up why I need to move more on a regular basis!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    My goal is to spend less time sitting and reading in my chair by using wireless headphones to listen to audiobooks and podcasts while I work on decluttering my house. I’m currently 1/2 way through a 1700 page book that isn’t audio so I’ll still be sitting plenty for the next week or so.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Our office is talking about sit/stand desks. I'm eagerly awaiting any information on that front. Until then, I'm walking to co-workers' desks to talk (which is hard in a call center) and I try to get to the gym and use the treadmill 5-6 days a week.

@infinitynevermore, both standing desks and sit/stand desks are recommended. I personally like the sit/stand option for its flexibility. Beyond, that I don’t suggestions on manufacturers etc, but I’m sure that there are organizations that have reviewed these desk options and have rated them.
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    My goal is to spend less time sitting and reading in my chair by using wireless headphones to listen to audiobooks and podcasts while I work on decluttering my house. I’m currently 1/2 way through a 1700 page book that isn’t audio so I’ll still be sitting plenty for the next week or so.

I don’t want to discourage reading, but swapping some reading/sitting time for audiobooks/walking time is a great idea, @nebslp!
  • themedalist
    Options
    JMRod wrote: »
    I started jogging/walking on April 2. You would think that being retired would be motivation enough to get out of the house. But I am a homebody and really enjoy my slow paced life after 26 years of teaching. Being over 50 and never being a runner, running was taking it's toll on me so I gave it up. Sad for me since I really enjoy the running. But, injury will make me quit moving completely so it's all walking or hiking now. My daily goal is 3 miles of active walking/hiking and then reaching 10,000 steps by moving every hour in the house or taking the dog out. Eventually, I hope to do 5 miles daily of active walking.

I cannot say enough about how great walking is! Go you!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Great resources! I especially liked this quote: "You can't outrun a bad diet, and you can't out-exercise a sedentary lifestyle." in the Health Line newsletter resource.

Today I read/ watched the resources and the replies and posts on my iPad standing at the kitchen counter. But I'm sitting at the desktop to type my posts and replies here on MFP as it is very slow going for me to type on the tablet while standing. I need to avoid going down the internet rabbit hole while sitting here. So I will sign out when finished on MFP

Thanks for a good first day of the challenge, and the resources!

:flowerforyou:
  • themedalist
    Options
    Great resources! I especially liked this quote: "You can't outrun a bad diet, and you can't out-exercise a sedentary lifestyle." in the Health Line newsletter resource.

Today I read/ watched the resources and the replies and posts on my iPad standing at the kitchen counter. But I'm sitting at the desktop to type my posts and replies here on MFP as it is very slow going for me to type on the tablet while standing. I need to avoid going down the internet rabbit hole while sitting here. So I will sign out when finished on MFP

Thanks for a good first day of the challenge, and the resources!

:flowerforyou:

One suggestion, @texasgardnr, since you have an iPad have you experimented with using the talk to text feature that’s available? It’s really excellent and I’m using it now to “write“ this. In fact, that’s how I write all of our weekly challenges. I walk slowly on my treadmill while using the microphone feature on my iPad. No headset or anything special required. You can’t dictate entire chapter books in a flash, but it can easily handle a sentence or two at a time. You may have to enable the talk to text feature in your settings but then it will show up as a small microphone icon in the lower left section of your keyboard.

With a little practice and knowing a few tricks about it (such as you need to speak punctuation marks) I think you will love it. It’s so much easier and faster than actual typing. And you’ll be sitting even less!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »

I was a hardcore book lover until I realized how much I was sitting while reading. I love Audio books now and I use Overdrive. I challenged myself to listen to 20 books a year and since I am listening to them, I have been able to accomplish that and more. Kuddos!

What are you reading now? I just finished The Wife Between Us and The Beck Diet Solution.