Getting to Know You - Tell us about yourself

Options
darla499
darla499 Posts: 402 Member
We'd love to get to know you.

Can you tell us a little about yourself and what brought you here.

Replies

• CReg6366
    CReg6366 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have recently acknowledged to my self that I have been binge eating for most of my life. I am seeking support for helping me with this condition. My weight has fluctuated throughout my adult life. I believe that I may have a food addition.
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hi! I’m 75, weigh 260, and should probably weigh 130 or less. I say that because I was once 5’8”, and Now due to degenerative disc disease am only 5’4-½”. I can’t walk much, but do swim when the pool is open - about May 1st, I hope!

I’m pretty sure I’m a binge eater, since I’ve never fit the criteria for bulemia. I really need some help with motivation.

This is the most I’ve ever weighed, although I’ve been above 200 for twenty years and above 250 for the last several. I’ve been down to my former goal if 145 twice. Once in 2984, and again in about 2004. Both times I used Nutrisystem, but prefer a designated diet with more choice.
  • CReg6366
    CReg6366 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What has been working for me is to make sure I am honest in my food diary. If my snack is a candy bar (like it was today) then I write it down. I check my total calories to see how that candy bar affected my calorie balance for the day. I try not to have guilt about it, but I am accountable for it.
  • darla499
    Options
    Hi Trucker! Good to meet you. Yeah, I would qualify as an OCD binge eater. When I eat, I well feel guilty for all the calories taken in. Then the guilt will make me either starve myself for a few days or binge more. I came in weighing 342 pounds. I've lost 164 pounds. It's taken 8 years to lose that. I'm hoping to reach my goal weight of 142 this year.

Congrats on reaching your goal weight a couple of times. That shows you CAN do it. I admire your determination. Welcome to the group! I'm sure you'll find motivation and support here, once we get some more members.

Again, welcome!

• darla499
    Options
    Hi Creg!
    Good for you! I've found that being honest in our logs is a big help. I used to keep my diary private. I've since changed it to friends because then I'm held accountable and the truth is in the pudding anyway!

Welcome to the group! I know that you'll find support here.
  • drkuhl2017
    drkuhl2017 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi!

My name is Sara, I'm a 27 year old Ph.D. in Psychology candidate, married, and have been in recovery from Binge Eating Disorder since January. I am currently working with a therapist and dietician to aid in my recovery. I have binged my entire life and at my worst, I was binging multiple times each day. Typically, I only binge once or twice a week now, but I have not binged at all this week! With my ED, I strictly binge and feel a loss of control with my eating, along with the inability to stop the binge until the urge is fulfilled (even when I am full). I also experience significant shame and guilt following my binges, which often leads to another binge. This cycle led me to my highest weight at the beginning of this year.

My highest weight was 366.6 and I am currently 358.9, via my dietician's scale. My ultimate goal weight is around 225 because I'm 5'10.5" and have a large bone structure with quite a bit of muscle. I have some other physical problems as well, Fibromyalgia and arthritis in my lowest vertebrae (which is due to being obese most of my life). Along with some mental health issues, generalized anxiety disorder, severe panic disorder, social anxiety, slight depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder. All of these things have impacted the ED.

I joined this group to try and get some more support in my recovery and to offer support to others in recovery. I look forward to getting to know all of you more!

Sara
  • darla499
    Options
    Hi Sara and welcome to the group! I'm sure you'll find plenty of support, encouragement and motivation here. I can relate to the depression and anxiety as well as the PTSD. OCD too! Sometimes they raise their heads and affect our eating. I actually run a group on Facebook called "Bipolar Broad." LOL.
    I hope you feel at home here. We're a new group so there's not a whole lot going on but I expect that to change.
  • rosiegabrielli
    rosiegabrielli Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey beauties! I’m 19 from california and vegetarian, For a lot of my life I have been restricting or b/p but when I went to college it was so easy to not eat and work out way too much and now I’m at a weight that is scaring people who care about me and making sharing a meal with them very difficult. I’m trying to increase the amount of food I eat while being conscious of what’s in it so I don’t feel guilty and have to “undo” it in some way. This is embarrassing but I’m currently eating about 300 calories a day ): my goal is to be able to eat my maintenance amount of calories w/o putting on weight bc I know that will make me worse. It’s going to take time but being honest with myself and this community will be a great help! Have an incredible day and I’m proud of all of you for being here<3
  • darla499
    Options
    Hey beauties! I’m 19 from california and vegetarian, For a lot of my life I have been restricting or b/p but when I went to college it was so easy to not eat and work out way too much and now I’m at a weight that is scaring people who care about me and making sharing a meal with them very difficult. I’m trying to increase the amount of food I eat while being conscious of what’s in it so I don’t feel guilty and have to “undo” it in some way. This is embarrassing but I’m currently eating about 300 calories a day ): my goal is to be able to eat my maintenance amount of calories w/o putting on weight bc I know that will make me worse. It’s going to take time but being honest with myself and this community will be a great help! Have an incredible day and I’m proud of all of you for being here<3

Hi Rosie and welcome to the group! Your story is very common in your age range. Especially for a college student. It seems like you're insightful and very honest and aware of what you're doing. Congratulations! That's half the battle!

Stick with us. We're a brand new growing support group but we saw a need and hope to give you all the support and encouragement that you need.

As for me, I am still trying to figure out where I rank on the eating disorder types. I've shown symptoms of every single one of them at some point in my life. And at one point I went the opposite way and went up to 353 pounds! I've now gotten most of the weight. But it's a struggle. I have body image problems So I find myself avoiding foods and people, places and activities that revolve around food. And it's feast or famine with me. Certain foods make me feel guilty so when I eat it or too many calories at one meal, I'll punish myself by starving myself for a period. I really struggle to meet 1,000 calories a day.

Whatever it is we struggle with, we all have a couple things in common. We have an eating disorder we want to be healthier.

Congrats and again, welcome to the group!
  • callmecandide
    callmecandide Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone!

My name is Ashley. I am 27. I have OCD, anxiety, and newly developed PTSD. I struggle with night-time binge eating, occasional sleep-eating, and food addiction caused by emotional eating.I can eat up to a 1000 calories if not more in the night - usually in a state of semi-conscious or completely asleep (even if I eat my needed calories during the day). How do you control something that happens when your hardly awake, or not at all? This will often cause periods of over-exercising, trying to not eat, or such bad guilt that I can't make it into work the next day. I am in the process of seeking therapy, and well as meditating.

I went vegan a few months ago and it felt so empowering to do something so beneficial to my diet and body, and it is so discouraging to see all these old binging habits didn't' change. I just want to feel like I have some sort of control over my decisions with food again.

I am so glad to have found this group and can't wait to see us all work to improve the best we can. I haven't beeen active on MFP because I've been using cronometer, but I will be logging in here again and will have an open diary for everyone to see.
  • darla499
    Options
    Hi Ashley! Glad you found the group. I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. I, myself have OCD and PTSD too. I am also transitioning vegan. I feel really good about the food I put in my body these days. It must be terribly frustrating to be following a healthy diet of your choice and then just to lose control like that at night. I'm glad you're back on MFP and hope that you can find some solutions here. Have you found meditation to be helpful? I hope that, in combination with therapy, will help you regain the control. Again, welcome!
  • PrincessVamp666
    PrincessVamp666 Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Hi guys - I am not sure what really to put here, I could go on and on, but I will never finish.

I am 31, suffered with Atypical Anorexia (B/P Subtype), BED and Restriction since I was around 11 y/o.

I have been in recovery since 2013, and have not purged in years, but I am struggling massively with the Binge Eating.

I have very low self esteem and body dysmorphia. I also desperately want to lose weight (BMI 42 - Morbidly Obese).
  • darla499
    Options
    Hi Princess!

Welcome to the group. You're in the right place and I'm sure that when we start growing some you'll find all the support you need!

Congrats on your recovery and goals. I have the dysmorphia thing going on as well. Right now I seem to be in a restrictive phase.

Ask any questions or just hang out and ramble and vent! Take care.
  • mayainroses
    mayainroses Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Maya.

I'm pretty sure I have a binge eating disorder. I have gone from the 140s to 200. I also have ADHD which has a large influence over my impulse eating. I'm 19 and 5'8" with a naturally large/athletic build (i gain muscle easily, broad shoulders, wide rib cage). I have always hated my body for as long as I can remember, especially bad once I was 12. I can't look at pictures of myself. As you all probably understand, some of the most important events in my life has been ruined because of my self hate.

A big goal for me this year is to lose weight healthily, and slowly. I want to teach myself to refuse immediate gratification. I'm trying to see everything as progress, my mistakes and my accomplishments. I want to have weigh ins without becoming a wreck. Basically, I want my body and food to have a happy and neutral presence.

I'm glad I found this group of people who all understand the lifestyle. I hope we all grow and recover!
  • darla499
    Options
    @mayainroses. Welcome. We can, do and, will recover. I'm so glad you found us and feel comfortable sharing!
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Mayainroses, I have had all the same issues. Kenn replacements cured the knee pain, one hip replaced helps. I had 8 discs fused.

The fibromyalgia was a little trickier. I for a wonderful Rheumatologist who explained its' relationship to the sleep cycle. I now take a very low dose of trazadone to trick my busy mind into actually going to sleep at bedtime. Unless I have a restless night I'm mostly pain-free.

Unfortunately, due mostly to the weight I have breathing issues that keep me from doing extended walking, but I'm up to 750 steps a day, shooting for 800.

I'm in the first month of a four-month program to prepare me for gastric bypass surgery. I down to 252.2 from a high of 262.2 back in June.

The requirements are a little scary. I have to pass a psychiatric evaluation, as well as have a second appointment with a nutritionist. There are two meetings monthly with a support group, and I meet with the surgeon twice. It is NOT the easy way out. But at 75, I need to do something sooner rather than later.
  • darla499
    Options
    Good job with the walking! That's progress! Be proud of yourself. I am proud of you!
  • auroralee425
    auroralee425 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since this thread has been used, but I'm a high school student (15 almost 16 y/o, I accidentally put in the wrong age during registration and I don't know how to fix it) and I am very active. Last year in my freshman year of high school I developed anorexia but I was eventually forced into recovery. After a few months of recovery I began binge eating and gained weight, though all the sports that I do kept me within a healthy weight. I've continued to struggle with my compulsive eating while still hating my body image and feeling sick with needing control over food like I did with my anorexia. I had a minor relapse earlier this year, and I am here to try to lose weight healthily so that I can perform my best in my sports and be happy with myself without turning back to my disorder.