Introduce Yourself

Options
runwyo
runwyo Posts: 5 Member
Please take a moment to introduce yourself to the group! Share as much, or as little, as you are comfortable with.

Replies

• runwyo
    runwyo Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    My name is Shannon and I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis last summer, but suffered from symptoms for two years prior. It is nice to finally have a name for what I've been going through. I am currently a full-time doctorate student (soon entering my dissertation) and am married with two dogs.

Previously, it was my goal to maintain my weight while adjusting to my new medications. Now that I am more used to what I am taking, I am hoping to start getting more active and lose some lbs. My greatest frustration is the prednisone I am on. It makes losing weight a frustrating challenge - but also helps my inflammation so much. You just can't win with it!

I look forward to connecting with others to find things that have worked (and things to avoid)!
  • BanannieFabian
    BanannieFabian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm Annie, recently turned 36 years and am a Certified Professional Groomer. I haven't been diagnosed with RA, but I'm fairly certain that's what I have due to my symptoms. All my life I've been sickly. I'm a teen cancer survivor of Hodgkin's Disease. I've dealt with migraines, widespread pain, fatigue and many more health issues over the years. I've seen lots of doctors, taken tons of tests and never been given an actual diagnosis. One day I decided to wean myself off all the medications I was prescribed because they, a) weren't very effective and b) how can you prescribe me drugs when you don't really know what's wrong with me? I changed my life... Stopped seeing doctors, quit my stressful office job, went back to dog grooming, changed my diet and started exercising again. My health improved drastically and was great for years.

In the last 12-15 months I've been experiencing what I learned through research is RA symptoms. I've gone through some elevated stress and gained some weight back over the past couple years. I personally believe my body does not respond well to stress and weight gain, and that it's less tolerant as I get older. I currently don't even have medical insurance to see a doctor and get diagnosed. I'm also not very trusting of doctors because I could never get a straight answer out of them before, instead just told to take a bunch of drugs. Through my own research I've decided to just try and help myself again by changing my diet and lifestyle. I've put myself on an anti-inflammatory diet, started taking some supplements, am working on decreasing my stress level and will slowly start to get back into exercise. I know that eventually I need to see a doctor, even if only to monitor my blood work and organ function.

I'm going to give myself a period of time to see how this goes. I can't afford medical insurance right now, and according to Covered CA I make too much for any kind of assistance. It's only been a couple weeks on the new diet and I do notice a difference in my inflammation. And, last week all of a sudden I had energy! This week I'm going to try getting on the treadmill and elliptical. I don't feel ready for weights yet, but soon I hope. I was weight training up until I started getting inflammation in my hands last June. My poor home gym has been collecting dust. Lol

I'm a fairly open person when it comes to my health experiences. I'd be happy to share and would also love to hear how anyone else deals with their conditions.

• strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Erica I'm 38. I was diagnosed with RA 2 years ago after 2 years of being very ill, without a diagnosis. I'm currently taking Methotrexate and Enbrel and my disease is under good control with those two meds. Prior to my diagnosis, out of desperation, I tried the autoimmune protocol diet and I was gluten free and dairy free for months and it didn't help my severe symptoms. I also have Pernicious Anemia which requires me to inject B12 once a month and Iron Deficiency Anemia which I I take oral iron for. Those were both diagnosed a month before my RA diagnosis. I am great with my eating and logging in mfp, but I have not yet recommitted to exercise. I have done some light yoga here and there but I know I would benefit from doing something daily. I know that I have fear associated with exercise, I also know that it is time to face those fears.

Thank you Shannon for creating a group!
  • Currahee3
    Currahee3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Kelly - I was diagnosed with PsA six years ago after struggling with "mystery pain" in my hands and arms for a year. This week is the first time I've logged onto My Fittness Pal in three years, and so much has changed in my PsA journey since. I've been on methotrexate for two years, but I still struggle with finding the right balance of exercise, healthy eating, and general mental well-being. Which is why I am recommitting myself and look forward to chatting with fellow arthritis sufferers. It's a life long journey and we're in it together!
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Marilyn and was diagnosed with RA last week after battling with horrible sores on my legs (which turned out to be rheumatoid facilities). I am so new to all of this - I was surprised with the diagnosis bc I wasn't necessarily experiencing a lot of joint pain.
    I am taking methotrexate shots once a week, and the Dr started me out on Lyrica for the nerve pain, but we are just starting on the journey to see what works for me.
    I used to drink a lot of wine, but went cold turkey once I learned I have RA. I am carrying around a good 70 extra pounds, so I am drinking a protein shake for breakfast (Click mocha flavor) mixed I+ my coffee and coconut milk, and a shake for lunch (Quest peanut butter - YUM). Dinners have been really veggie-heavy with healthy fats like avocado and olive oil, rounded out by lean meat, fish/seafood, or eggs.
    I am getting the pain under control and hope to start lifting, at least focusing on upper body strength, this weekend.

Before 2018 began, I made a commitment to myself that this would be the year I get my act together and get in the best shape of my life. Then the horrible sores erupted and grew so Iarge and I got a little down in the dumps - I wanted to try roller derby and learn archery, and get back into running and weight lifting. But, in a round-about way, the RA diagnosis is incentive to eat healthy food and slowly ramp up the exercise, so I going out of my blue mood and am happily pressing forward. 2018 WILL be the year I get it all together!
  • laurawalker357
    laurawalker357 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hello, my name is Laura I have been misdiagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, was taking shots for yrs. and not working so I'm on DMARDs, and I am fed up with pain, I also have spinal stenosis, I :/ cant do any real workouts but I sure can control my calories, and maybe one day I can start a regular walking routine. having RA is challenging enough let alone other issues I have but I'm glad I found this group
  • 3mummy3185
    3mummy3185 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I've been looking for a group to inspire and motivate me to get fit again. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis three years ago and until November last I was coping well. Walking and hiking weekly. Then chronic fatigue and flare up hit. I was knocked for six.
    I've survived and would love to get back to as close a fitness level as before.
    I won't say anything about the weight I've put on, other than I'm heavier than I used to be.
    Hope you guys are hanging in there.
  • sanddheath
    sanddheath Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Susan, I was diagnosed with RA 4 months ago. I was just told to stop taking Methotrexate due to high liver counts. I tried plaquenil but developed extreme back pain and couldn't get out of bed. At this point we are just trying to figure out what meds I can take. I am hoping with diet and exercise my liver will recover, I will lose weight, get more energy and live a healthier life