5/15 Tuesday Day 15 SLBC: What's Working and What's Not?

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
dnr64oo7jr40.jpg

Theme: Reflections: What's Working and What's Not?

Today's Challenge: Today's challenge is to pick any activity that you enjoy that will have you up and moving. While you do your activity, please review your last 2 weeks. What's working and what's not? Are you sitting less and is it become easier and more natural? If not, why not? What needs to change? If it's just drudgery for you, maybe it's time to shift gears and try another way to sit less? Is your “One Thing” working out for you or do you need to focus on something else?

Alternative Challenge: Use your to-do list as a reminder to get up and move. As you cross something off your list, celebrate with a stretch or a brief two minute walk.

Looking forward to hearing how it's going for you!

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    These are terrific updates, @sandra8841 and @PinkyPan1. Thanks for sharing.

Choosing to call this program "Boot Camp" might seem a bit strange at first glance. No, we don't compete against each other and no, the goal isn't to hit a large number of steps each day. I'm hoping Boot Camp has helped participants look at sitting as a well-ingrained habit. A habit that can be changed by practicing new ways to do what we need and want to do but with less sitting. Sitting less is hard...our lives are surrounded by comfy chairs and nudges and prompts to have a seat. If it was easy to sit less we'd all be doing it. And that's why I call this "Boot Camp" because it is indeed difficult and a challenge. But in my opinion, one that's well worth it!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,905 Member
    Options
    It is working pretty well. Yesterday, that timer of my husband's was going off all day long and I was remembering to get up and move every time. My step count was much higher the first week of the challenge and right on my average the second week in spite of hours of driving. So I'm pretty happy.
  • themedalist
    Options
    These updates are great! And as @OConnell5483 said, we can all learn from each other.

And yes, changing midstream to focus on a different one thing is a great idea if the original one thing didn't work out as planned. Experiment and switch things around if needed to find what works for you. We can't force ourselves to develop a new habit if it's not a good fit for us.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    My one thing is going great. I am sitting less in front of the lap top and doing more things around the house. The elliptical workout is killing me and making me really tired. Might need to change that up because in the afternoons I am finding myself sitting more that I should.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure who recommended the app Stand Up!, but I thank you so much! I've been doing really good at standing up every 30 minutes and I don't have to clutter up my Outlook calendar to get the reminders! Plus, I have it set to the sound of loons, which I love, so it's not even annoying when it goes off! Love this app!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I'm not sure who recommended the app Stand Up!, but I thank you so much! I've been doing really good at standing up every 30 minutes and I don't have to clutter up my Outlook calendar to get the reminders! Plus, I have it set to the sound of loons, which I love, so it's not even annoying when it goes off! Love this app!

That’s great @PackerFanInGB! By the way, your change in user name made me smile. I live in New Hampshire and many years ago I worked with a graduate student who was from Wisconsin. She was just finishing her dissertation and soon graduating and applying for jobs. She scheduled all of her interviews around the Packers schedule, because to a true Packers fan, no job is worth missing a game. :-)
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

That’s great @PackerFanInGB! By the way, your change in user name made me smile. I live in New Hampshire and many years ago I worked with a graduate student who was from Wisconsin. She was just finishing her dissertation and soon graduating and applying for jobs. She scheduled all of her interviews around the Packers schedule, because to a true Packers fan, no job is worth missing a game. :-)

Ha! I LOVE THAT STORY! It's so true...during football season, EVERYTHING we do (my family anyway) is scheduled around Packer games. Birthday get-togethers, holidays especially, we try to have during the game because it's so much fun to watch the game as a family! :smile: As you can tell, there's not too much else to do when you live in Green Bay! LOL!