Keto Diet

Options
lempeck214
lempeck214 Posts: 15 Member
Hi - I am 5 years out since May. I lost a total of 155 lbs and was able to maintain the weight until 2 years ago. I was under a lot of stress with marital issues which eventually ended in divorce. Recently I had my hepatologist tell me if I need a transplant I'd be denied due to my weight. He said he couldn't stress enough how important it was for me to lose weight. My friend suggested looking into the keto diet. They lost 53 lbs in 7 months on it. My question is, is this diet okay for those of us who had gastric surgery? Has or is anyone here doing the keto diet? Are you getting good results? Tia

Replies

• kc82
    kc82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Do you have Netflix? If so - I would highly suggest watching "The Magic Pill". It's very informative when it comes to Keto and the benefits. And although I do not do Keto at the moment, I think it's a good plan so long as you stick to it. :)
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @kc82 Magic Pill EXCELLENT documentary! I'm so glad Netflix picked it up. And I agree Keto is solid if one sticks to it.

@lempeck214 I definitely think you will lose with Keto but it is VERY DIFFICULT to stick to long term. 70-85% fat calories for the rest of your life. Here's what I would recommend. Stick to whole foods. And stay away from added sugar as much as possible. Don't worry about macros. I have a WIDE RANGE with macros Fat 30-90% Protein 15-40% Carbs 5-40%. I don't even count them but those would probably be my daily ranges.

I had vsg March 2015. Lost over 200lbs and recently ran a FULL MARATHON. I'm NEVER hungry and don't worry about weight anymore. Eating intuitively is what works for me.
  • lempeck214
    lempeck214 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    JamesAztec wrote: »
    @kc82 Magic Pill EXCELLENT documentary! I'm so glad Netflix picked it up. And I agree Keto is solid if one sticks to it.

@lempeck214 I definitely think you will lose with Keto but it is VERY DIFFICULT to stick to long term. 70-85% fat calories for the rest of your life. Here's what I would recommend. Stick to whole foods. And stay away from added sugar as much as possible. Don't worry about macros. I have a WIDE RANGE with macros Fat 30-90% Protein 15-40% Carbs 5-40%. I don't even count them but those would probably be my daily ranges.

I had vsg March 2015. Lost over 200lbs and recently ran a FULL MARATHON. I'm NEVER hungry and don't worry about weight anymore. Eating intuitively is what works for me.

Way to go James! Such an inspiration! I'm not so sure if keto is the way to go for me. I have also thought about doing the Mediterranean diet. It's the number 1 diet and just seems much more healthy to me. With me having liver issues I really need to be careful what I put in my body.
  • renae_vsg
    renae_vsg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Keto for about three weeks and lost over 10lbs so far. I’m at 167...I’m 4 years post VSG. I got down to 153 but had a miscarriage and subsequently gained about 25lbs. It’s hard sometimes for me on weekends because the family wants to go out for dinner but I’ve done really good for the most part. I can always find a salad with meat and ranch dressing...lol. I absolutely love this way of eating. My cravings are gone. I’m sleeping better and for some reason I haven’t had prob with my allergies like I usually do (I lived on Flonase). Oh and my reflux is tons better...
    Just like James said get the sugars out. also cutting all carbs except from natural carbs like veggies and ur dairy should really help. All your doing with this diet is... if it’s not grown from the ground, doesn’t come from an animal don’t eat it..lol. I wish I would have done this from the very beginning after surgery. Message me anytime or send me FB request