Is your significant other shorter than you?

Options
Amanda0709
Amanda0709 Posts: 8 Member
Just curious how many of us made height a requirement when choosing a mate. I have a lot of short friends who always say, "I would never date/marry a guy who is shorter than me!" But, I'm 5'11" and my husband is 5'5" and he's wonderful. If I would have kept that silly rule I would have missed out on the love of my life. :)

Replies

• wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I always told myself I'd marry a tall lanky guy like my dad, but I've always been attracted to short stocky guys (short meaning average height to just below average). My husband is an inch or two shorter than me, but can pass as the same height if he's wearing his work boots and I'm barefoot or in flats. I love wearing tall shoes and leaning down to kiss him, I think it's adorable. So really, I'd say I got just what I wanted. What helps is that even though I'm large framed, he must be super extra large framed (he has a seriously large ribcage no matter how skinny he gets). His very large frame helps me feel petite even if I'm taller. I think frame size would be more of a deal breaker to me than height.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Just curious how many of us made height a requirement when choosing a mate. I have a lot of short friends who always say, "I would never date/marry a guy who is shorter than me!" But, I'm 5'11" and my husband is 5'5" and he's wonderful. If I would have kept that silly rule I would have missed out on the love of my life. :)
    In HS I always said I'd never date a guy shorter than me.....here I am 20+ years later married to one one! I am 6' my husband is 5'3 &1/2 (lol) he has to get that extra 1/2 inch in there! We've been together 20+ years and will celebrate our 17th wedding anniversary this August & have 2 awesome kids!!
    179a6046-7d0e-4c44-af86-76a3191d8729.jpg
  • Amanda0709
    Options
    I always told myself I'd marry a tall lanky guy like my dad, but I've always been attracted to short stocky guys (short meaning average height to just below average). My husband is an inch or two shorter than me, but can pass as the same height if he's wearing his work boots and I'm barefoot or in flats. I love wearing tall shoes and leaning down to kiss him, I think it's adorable. So really, I'd say I got just what I wanted. What helps is that even though I'm large framed, he must be super extra large framed (he has a seriously large ribcage no matter how skinny he gets). His very large frame helps me feel petite even if I'm taller. I think frame size would be more of a deal breaker to me than height.

That's a good point. My husband might be a lot shorter than me, but he doesn't have a small frame. I have a fairly large frame (broad shoulders, wide hips) so I don't think I'd be as comfortable with our height difference if he had a small build, too.
  • Amanda0709
    Options
    In HS I always said I'd never date a guy shorter than me.....here I am 20+ years later married to one one! I am 6' my husband is 5'3 &1/2 (lol) he has to get that extra 1/2 inch in there! We've been together 20+ years and will celebrate our 17th wedding anniversary this August & have 2 awesome kids!!

I had that rule in high school, too. I started dating my H when I was 23. I almost didn't date him because of how tall he is (isn't? lol). I was talking to a male friend about him one day at work and he asked why I wasn't dating him (since I never shut up about him). I explained that he was only 5'5" and he said, "Wow. I never pegged you for the shallow type." His words stung, but they woke me up. Why was I missing out on a great guy because of something so silly? 5 years and three kids later (two together + one of mine from before) and we're so happy. :)
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

I had that rule in high school, too. I started dating my H when I was 23. I almost didn't date him because of how tall he is (isn't? lol). I was talking to a male friend about him one day at work and he asked why I wasn't dating him (since I never shut up about him). I explained that he was only 5'5" and he said, "Wow. I never pegged you for the shallow type." His words stung, but they woke me up. Why was I missing out on a great guy because of something so silly? 5 years and three kids later (two together + one of mine from before) and we're so happy. :)
    Awesome! I remember meeting my H, I was a senior in HS, and when I walked into the room to meet him, he was sitting down and I thought to myself, "Damn he's hot!" then he stood up to shake my hand and I thought "Damn he's short!" LOL! took the wind right out of my sail... However, we went out anyway and by about 1/2 way through dinner he had stole my heart with his personality & hilarious sense of humor! The fact that he was easy on the eyes and had a nice stocky physique didn't hurt either! LOL! I agree with you 100% on the silly rule......I am lucky enough to say I got to marry my best friend & to this day we still are best friends who are deeply in love! :love:
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My 'other' isn't very significant but he is shorter than me. He loves it (strange boy) I even wear heels still!
  • Miriai
    Miriai Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I always wanted a guy who was taller than me, but the heart wants what it wants! I fell in love with someone who is 5'4 and I am 6'. People always make fun of us and tell us we should switch heights, but it works for us!
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is taller than me, which I love.
    But I don't mind dating shorter guys, as long as they have a big physique.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2 and my husband is 5'8. I'm used to being taller than everyone around me, so it never was weird for me and he got over the difference really quick. We've been together since 1997. He definitely has a football player's broad shoulders and is a lot stronger than me, so I think it would be weird for me if he was shorter and smaller than me, but I definitely don't mind shorter.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My husband of 37 years is two inches shorter than I am. It doesn't bother him. And I'm good with it. He's a good man! That's what counts! :)
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My ex husband of 15 years was 5ft 7in. I am 6ft. It was never a issue except sometimes I missed having that "big man" feeling when out. You know the one, where even though you are a 6ft amazon woman you still feel dainty standing next to your man.

My new man is 6ft 5in.

I don't think I will go back to short men anymore purely for that factor but I'll never say never as you can't control who you love.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Wow, I finally have something to contribute! I am dating someone who is about 1-2 inches shorter than I am... 1 inch if you look at our driver's licenses, 2 inches if you look at us standing next to each other! I also outweigh him by about 25 pounds. There is a part of me that really does enjoy being the smaller person in a relationship, but we get along so well, I am hardly going to turn up my nose at a good relationship because he is too short!
  • tallteacher
    tallteacher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I was in HS I read a magazine article that said that tall women who dated short men lacked self confidence, so I promised never to date or marry anyone shorter than me. Been married to my 3-inches -shorter than me husband for almost 20 years
  • cettefemme
    cettefemme Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes! My exes are 5'9"-6'2" and I was always most comfortable being with guys around my height (though I liked it when I got to feel dinky for once with the 6'2" guy). I did not think I'd end up marrying a man who was only 5'6" - nearly five inches shorter than me. He has no problem with his height, my height (he calls me his 'supermodel' which is ridiculous but cute) or our height difference, so why should I? Height is such a silly thing to have as a dealbreaker.
  • strongwendysue14
    strongwendysue14 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My hubby of 32 years is a few inches short than me. It's only really awkward when he's barefoot and I'm in heels!
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I am 6', 270 and my husband is 5'10, 135. I don't feel the height difference nearly as much as I do the weight difference.
    When I was in HS I felt self-conscious about my height. I dated guys shorter than myself but really wanted to date someone taller. After a couple really crappy experiences I realized it's more important to be happy than to be shorter than my partner! I don't mind our difference at all, and neither does he. :)
  • amandammmq
    Options
    I'm reviving my activity level on MFP, so I'm cruising through my old groups and I'm happy to announce that I am now engaged to that shorter fella I mentioned above! I agree with lalepepper that I feel the weight difference more than the height difference, although our weight difference is (still) only about 25 pounds. I'm overweight, he is not. But, I decided not to let my hangups interfere with what is a great relationship, so I'm not letting it bother me. Plus, he has muscles and tattoos, SOOOOOO..... :D
  • AtomicLemon
    AtomicLemon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Same here!! I'm 5'11" and my husband is 5'6". He has a tight, lanky "rock star" body, which I love. I'm so glad I didn't let a goofy height rule dictate my dating life. My mom calls us Sonny and Cher, haha.
  • amandammmq
    Options
    And now a number of months later, I now only outweigh him by about 6 pounds! I told him, "I'm coming for you!" LOL We actually dated over 20 years ago, when I was still a couple of inches taller, but he definitely outweighed me back then. At best, I'm hoping for close to equal weight this time around.
    Anyway, we're not married *yet*, but I swear we're working on it! Hehe