June 18 Weekly Challenge: Accident Proof

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
Theme: Healthy Practices
Challenge: Accident Proof

This week, let's take a closer look at our homes. Let's do a room by room inventory and look for potential accidents waiting to happen. According to the Home Safety Council, home accidents cause 20,000 deaths in the United States each year, and what's just as striking, most of these accidents could be prevented. Household accidents fall into predictable categories and most have simple interventions that reduce the likelihood of an accident occurring.

Most common household accidents that lead to injuries/death:
  • Falls
  • Poisonings
  • Suffocation
  • Drowning
  • Inadequate railings and banisters
  • Unsafe storage of medications
  • Water heaters set too high
  • Firearms improperly stored or locked up

I've learned that simple steps such as getting rid of throw rugs, better lighting, installing bathroom grab bars, double checking how poisons and medicines are stored, and securing railings and banisters go a long ways toward reducing the risk of an accident. And guess what else helps? Eliminating clutter! The more things we have to maneuver around, the more likely they are to cause an accident.

This topic is very personal to me. In 2013, when I was out walking in the woods of my backyard, I tripped over a tree stump and had a bad fall. I didn't think much of it at the time, but when my right hip was still hurting three weeks later I went to see my doctor and she ordered an x-ray. The diagnosis: severe arthritis in my right hip. I had no pain, arthritis, or mobility challenges in my hip before that fall. In fact, I had been training to walk the New York City Marathon. But sometimes the impact of just one accident is substantial enough to cause permanent and irreparable damage. Five months later, the only way I could get around was by using a cane or a walker. Just getting a drink from my kitchen sink was extremely painful. And all from one single, likely avoidable fall. I was fortunate to get a new artificial hip, but the experience has made me acutely aware of how easily a life-changing accident can happen.

Many times I've thought, "If only I hadn't fallen. If only I'd been a little more careful." But that's what accidents do. They change the trajectories of our lives and put us on a different and less desirable path. And that's why I'm glad we are taking this week to focus on accident prevention. Most accidents in the home can be avoided. Let's take some time this week to make our homes as safe as possible.

This Week's Challenge: Do a room by room scan of your home, garage, basement and other living spaces looking for potential problems that could cause an accident. The suggested resources below list the biggest problem areas and have recommendations for simple steps that reduce the risk of an injury.

Let’s make it a safer week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Home Accident Statistics: Is Your Home as Safe as You Think?
http://www.asecurelife.com/home-accident-statistics/

Preventing Home Accidents
http://www.prevention.com/health/healthy-living/preventing-home-accidents

Watch Your Step While Washing Up
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/health/research/16stats.html

..................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    And it's Move It Monday!

dsf1i6kj9xlq.png

Please post your Monday workout here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637806/move-it-monday-weekly-challenge
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. You’ve come a long way. Will check every room in the house to make it safe.
  • UpstateKaren
    UpstateKaren Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great points in the article...with aging parents, my own changes in balance as I age and a 21 y/o with autism who can't safely navigate the world without guidance it's something that we think of in our house all of the time. But it never hurts to be reminded...one of my biggest no-nos is to leave motrin and other OTC meds on the counter instead of putting them safely away.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I’m glad you like this week’s challenge. All of the exercises that we do and enjoy and all of the basic movements we do without thinking such as walking around our homes and putting groceries away are based on the assumption that we will continue to have injury free arms, legs, back etc. Let’s all do what we can to stay healthy.

And if you have an elderly neighbor or relative, is there anything that could be done to make their home safer? For older people, a fall can become deadly. A fractured hip requires hospitalization and then they succumb to a virus or other pathogen that’s so common in hospitals. I was stunned to learn it’s a very common scenario.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that you have recovered from your fall. Your fall cost you a new hip....WOW! My biggest fear is falling and breaking a hip.

I will start today in the playroom and go from there. I am sure a safety check is due.
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You know this has been on my mind since my slip in the shower. Hubby said he noticed how my shampoo and conditioner made the shower slippery. Even though I was holding the grab bar, I was injured anyway. We plan to put a shower mat in and I will be using a shower chair in the future, especially when I wash my hair. I will be giving our home and surrounding lawn a review for more potential hazards.

Also, I’m so glad you recovered from your fall Denise. xx
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,905 Member
    Options
    Great information. I too am concerned about safety as my husband gets older (not me of course, I'm staying the same). Even more of a concern is my BIL who has gone from being very athletic to having balance and mobility issues.
    ...And if you have an elderly neighbor or relative, is there anything that could be done to make their home safer? For older people, a fall can become deadly. A fractured hip requires hospitalization and then they succumb to a virus or other pathogen that’s so common in hospitals. I was stunned to learn it’s a very common scenario.

Since we last did a survey, I have purchased a tub mat, but my stubborn husband refuses to use it because he doesn't like how it feels. :s@Cindy781, your story of being injured from slipping in the shower does scare me, and yes, shampoo and conditioner do make the tub slippery.

However, we are just this week, removing our old carpet which was badly worn and a tripping hazard, so that is a total win.

• MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I haven't really taken a look at safety hazards in my house. We keep the lawn cleaned up as much as possible. No long grasses or piled up messes. These can hide snakes, and I do not want to tangle with them. Inside, I never really pay much attention to my own safety, but I do for my son. I keep all sharp knives away and out of reach. Hot items on the stove are placed in the back part, and I always keep him out of the kitchen when I'm cooking.

I really liked the article from Prevention. I need to read it again and follow the suggestions it offers. Things like a really good oven mit or a high tech smoke alarm never cross my mind. I'm in "just get by" mode when it comes to those things, but an investment of $20 or $30 is worth it. I need to adjust my thinking when it comes to stuff like that.
  • 77tes
    Options
    @MmamabearR , the Ove-glove, is great. I gave a couple to my BIL, and I love using it whenever I cook at his house. Of course, I haven't bought one for myself yet. :)
  • Bethebestmeforme
    Bethebestmeforme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I look after my 2 year old grandson so I do go row by row and check for anything that's unsafe.
  • themedalist
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I’m so pleased that so many of you will be taking this challenge and looking closely at your homes for potential problems. My accident has made me so much more aware of how a fall can completely change your life. We can’t prevent every accident, but scanning for potential problems and using extra caution really makes a difference.

My walking buddy Lindsey retired a few weeks ago. We made plans to get together periodically and still walk. Yesterday she called me to let me know that those plans are on hold. The other day, she fell on a path she had walked a million times and fractured her wrist. Falls are way to common.

I spent the weekend up at Acadia National Park in Maine. This sign is posted prominently at one of the visitor centers:

4xtghfgelx0v.jpeg

Of course, that’s not to say we should give up walking and hiking! :-)
  • 77tes
    Options
    @themedalist, sorry about your walking buddy. I wonder if those walking poles would be helpful for hikers. I worry about tripping on uneven sidewalks (those beautiful trees have roots that break up sidewalks). And of course, those of you who live where there is cold weather have the added problem of ice in the winter.
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @MmamabearR , the Ove-glove, is great. I gave a couple to my BIL, and I love using it whenever I cook at his house. Of course, I haven't bought one for myself yet. :)

Isn't that the way LOL Thanks! I'll look into that!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am shocked at how much accident proofing I have done. Here, I thought I would not find much. This has been eye opening and surprising. Thank you for this challenge.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    @themedalist sorry about your friend. Hope she is ok. Great sign. I cannot wait to start hiking. Here in FL is all flat but I tend to get a bit nervous outdoors.

My issue with safe proofing my house has been cabinets and drawers. Lots of things on them and full to the top. Not easy to open and look for things and yes, you can find stuff that pinches or cuts in them. Grateful for this challenge! Thanks!
  • Michaela_LaGata
    Michaela_LaGata Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi all

in public health we say injuries are no accident meaning that there are policies and environmental changes including modifying the built environment both outside and inside to help reduce the likelihood of unintentional injury.

In summer we have to worry about kids falling out of Windows a terrible terrible thing as well as drowning and motor vehicle crashes and pedestrian and bicycle injuries too...a huge thing where I live.

Here are some resources from the Centers for Disease Control and prevention and the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Have a happy healthy and safe summer everyone.

M.
    See below

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/Pages/default.aspx

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/index.html
  • Michaela_LaGata
    Michaela_LaGata Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I’m so pleased that so many of you will be taking this challenge and looking closely at your homes for potential problems. My accident has made me so much more aware of how a fall can completely change your life. We can’t prevent every accident, but scanning for potential problems and using extra caution really makes a difference.

My walking buddy Lindsey retired a few weeks ago. We made plans to get together periodically and still walk. Yesterday she called me to let me know that those plans are on hold. The other day, she fell on a path she had walked a million times and fractured her wrist. Falls are way to common.

I spent the weekend up at Acadia National Park in Maine. This sign is posted prominently at one of the visitor centers:

4xtghfgelx0v.jpeg

Of course, that’s not to say we should give up walking and hiking! :-)

Love Acadia!!
  • themedalist
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I am shocked at how much accident proofing I have done. Here, I thought I would not find much. This has been eye opening and surprising. Thank you for this challenge.

This made my day, @PinkyPan1. I’m so glad this challenge has been helpful to you!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Hi all

in public health we say injuries are no accident meaning that there are policies and environmental changes including modifying the built environment both outside and inside to help reduce the likelihood of unintentional injury.

In summer we have to worry about kids falling out of Windows a terrible terrible thing as well as drowning and motor vehicle crashes and pedestrian and bicycle injuries too...a huge thing where I live.

Here are some resources from the Centers for Disease Control and prevention and the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Have a happy healthy and safe summer everyone.

M.
    See below

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/Pages/default.aspx

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/index.html

Thank you for these resources, @Michaela_LaGata.
  • themedalist
    Options
    This is been hanging up on our corkboard for a while and I thought it might be useful to pet lovers. I don’t have any cats, just dogs.

9ih4aa9o2amk.jpeg