Teaching my first LITTLE kids class tonight...

trackercasey76
trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
11 little Ninjas ages 3-6. I'm a little nervous but its the helicopter moms not the kids I'm worried about. We are do (2) Six week sessions this summer and see how it goes from there.

Replies

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Awesome.

As long as the kids are having fun, it will all be great. Our 3-6 kids are called "mighty mites", usually all their parents watch and at most smirk a bit when the kids act goofy.

I understand the discomfort though. I don't always feel comfortable working with kids because of the parents, but in the end it's always okay. Parents tend to respect the fact that their kids actually listen to you XD
  • trackercasey76
    Class went well, the kids had fun and the parents seemed happy. We learned a basic back leg front kick. They loved kicking the shields.
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Glad the class went well.

I agree with the folks on the previous thread who said for that age it's really all about using karate as a vehicle work on basic physical skills like balance, crossing centerline, right and left, et c. And the trick is to keep the class moving.

Ours always love the obstacle course and relay races where they do things like run down the room, punch a pad 4 times then run back.
  • trackercasey76
    Class has been going well. The have learned a back leg front kick, the basics of punching, and a low block, as well as Stranger Danger and a wrist escape. Next week is the final class. I plan to run through all of the things we covered and play games that reinforce these techniques.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    We have introduced a great new aspect to our kids program. On Fridays the advanced kids have a class where they focus on things a bit harder than the normal class and competition prep. Coach has asked adults to come to the class so the kids can roll with us for more experience. I love it!