Couldn't even do the first run!

kat_lever
kat_lever Posts: 2 Member
So, me and my other half tried couch to 5K the other week as something that we could do together. My partner is quite fit as he has an active job however moi (the desk jockey) was absolutely HOPELESS. So there he was trotting away while I couldn't even finish the 1 minute runs.
We had a bit of a laugh and a joke about it but never ended up doing the 2nd run.
SO
I have decided I am going to give it another crack however I'm after a bit of some advice. Should I repeat the first run until I can actually complete it or move on to the next day even though I massively failed?
Halp

Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    edited July 2018
    Good on you for sticking with it! B)

I'd say run slower and maybe start with 30 seconds jogs between walking breaks....see how that goes. C25K can be repeated for as long as you need. Either weeks or days, entirely up to you.
    But for me and many many other on these boards it's all about slowing down. When I started C25K I made sure to jog at a pace where I could sing under my breath. It stopped me getting stitch and meant I could do the times and progress with the program :)
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Fully agree with the above and don't be afraid to adapt the programme to fit your needs. I couldn't do it when I tried the first time too, I had to make up my own reduced version which I think went something like starting off running 20 or 30 seconds every 5 minutes, then each week I added 5 seconds to the running bits until I reached 1 minute, THEN I reduced the walking sections, again a few seconds at a time, until I could manage the intervals in week 1.
    Don't let it get you down, have faith in yourself and (once you get there) the programme. You will be amazed by what your body can do with the correct training :-) I now run continuously for around half an hour 4 days a week and I LOVE it.
  • kat_lever
    kat_lever Posts: 2 Member
    Please tell me you both hated doing it to start off with and the running fairy came and give you a knock on the head and one day you started to actually enjoy it?
    I literally have to haul myself out of the door to get myself to do it.
    Thanks for the advice!!
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2018
    - treadmills are boring, run outside if you can

- if you're struggling it's usually because you're going too fast. If you think that's not the case, see below for the reddit c25k faq advice

- If you have a heart rate monitor, trying to stay in zone 2 as much as possible is a nice goal (your speed will improve as your aerobic base improves)

- If you've given it a month or so and still hate it, don't be afraid to abandon it

I suggest repeating weeks until you can do it

from the reddit c25k faq:

What if I can't complete the first day?

If you can't complete the program's first week, then add the following to the beginning of your program:

Week -1: Do a 5-minute warm-up walk. Run 30 seconds, walk 60 seconds. Repeat the run and walk. Do a 5-minute cooldown walk.

Week 0: Do a 5-minute warm-up walk. Run 45 seconds, walk 90 seconds. repeat 3 times. Do a 5-minute cooldown walk.

Complete each of the above 3 times in a single week and then, either a) move onto week 1 or b) complete "Week 0.5" below

Week 0.5: Do a 5-minute warm-up walk. Run 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds, repeat 4 times. Do a 5-minute cooldown walk.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    kat_lever wrote: »
    Please tell me you both hated doing it to start off with and the running fairy came and give you a knock on the head and one day you started to actually enjoy it?
    I literally have to haul myself out of the door to get myself to do it.
    Thanks for the advice!!

I did hate it to start - it was faff to get changed and actually get out the door. The beeps on my C25K app were sadistic! 'no way was that a 2 min walk break' type exclamations could be heard.
    It got sooo much better around week 3 after I had read (on here actually) to take it slower. I tried singing under my breath and that worked so well it got me through to week 9 and beyond :)

I still find it a bit of a faff to get sorted and actually out of the house, but the chilled run time more than makes up for it!
  • beard_runner
    beard_runner Posts: 26 Member
    kat_lever wrote: »
    So, me and my other half tried couch to 5K the other week as something that we could do together. My partner is quite fit as he has an active job however moi (the desk jockey) was absolutely HOPELESS. So there he was trotting away while I couldn't even finish the 1 minute runs.
    We had a bit of a laugh and a joke about it but never ended up doing the 2nd run.
    SO
    I have decided I am going to give it another crack however I'm after a bit of some advice. Should I repeat the first run until I can actually complete it or move on to the next day even though I massively failed?
    Halp

I have been doing couch to 5k since end of April 2018. I really struggled at the start same as you. Thought it was going to kill me but I kept going and believe me when I say it gets easier. This week I have completed two 7.5k runs.

My theory is your body is in shock first time you do it. The more you do it the more accepting it is

(Ps: The sore knees stage is next!)