What's on your mind today?

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Here's where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• melichalupa
    melichalupa Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any meal prepping motivation ideas? I get sick of eating the same flavors all the time and am turned off by eating repeated entire meals. I have been currently only having one full meal a day and then doing smoothies/veggie juices throughout the day (I am only that for these first three days as a veggie surge for my system-will be ending that and heading to the gym this week for the first time in a while). I need some ideas for meal prepping especially when heading to the gym (I am a morning gym person).
    Any thoughts are welcomed!
  • AnEndlessSkye
    AnEndlessSkye Posts: 38 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Does anyone have any meal prepping motivation ideas? I get sick of eating the same flavors all the time and am turned off by eating repeated entire meals. I have been currently only having one full meal a day and then doing smoothies/veggie juices throughout the day (I am only that for these first three days as a veggie surge for my system-will be ending that and heading to the gym this week for the first time in a while). I need some ideas for meal prepping especially when heading to the gym (I am a morning gym person).
    Any thoughts are welcomed!

I’ve made these for working out in the mornings they were super easy to make + very tasty! I like quick meals when I’m on the go. I just made enough for the week every Sunday.

http://hedihearts.com/simple-and-clean-granola-bars/
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,194 Member
    Options
    I'm big on one skillet meals. The basic method is the same every day but the flavour can vary wildly. Lots of any veg you like - start with the longest cooking to the quickest - and whatever protein you want. Then the seasoning or sauce can be ginger, soy, mirin one night, pesto another, thai curry, fresh herbs- whatever you like. I don't use grains but you could put this with any you like. It's easy and uses only one pan.
  • melichalupa
    Options
    @AnEndlessSkye really great idea!!! I like that I can have a small breakfast, workout, then have one of these postworkout. Thanks!

@jugar I am a big fan of one pan/pot/skillet meals too! I would love to try some asian inspired veggies and protein throughout the week. I will definitely try this especially for packed lunches that get so boring if they are the same.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I tend to go with overnight oats. You can make a bunch of individual portions in advance and vary the flavour by what you add to them.

Another meal prep idea I saw was to prepare all the stuff but not cook it (so cut it etc) then you just cook up the items you want quickly every evening. You can add different veggies etc or spices each night to vary the taste, it's quick and easy because all the prep is done and you get freshly cooked food, not reheated!
  • realalize
    realalize Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    So I am disqualified... I started the week out on the right foot, but fell ill (actually relapsed) and didn't log or exercise for 4 days. I will be back next month! Good luck everyone!
  • jugar
    Options
    Don't leave @realalize - lots of us lose days or have way too many passes. Keep going and you'll have a better month than you would without it! There is no disqualification here.
  • AnEndlessSkye
    Options
    I’m sure I’m not alone in this but my weight has yo-yo’d since I was a teenager. Some of it because of anxiety/depression and some from how I viewed eating.

I used to exercise to eat. I would spent an hour at the gym and say to myself, “now I have 700 extra calories to eat”. So I would immediately eat those calories because, in my mind, I earned it.

I started running in 2016 with that same mindset and got upset that I wasn’t losing weight. After all I was running half marathons! After some reflection, I’ve come to realize that I needed to change my “I exercise to eat” mentality to “I eat to exercise.”

Ever since I’ve adopted that things have been a lot easier. I burn a lot of calories running 5 days a week but I no longer say “now I can eat those calories.” I eat more on days that I run longer distances because I know my body needs the fuel. I no longer view exercise as a punishment for my eating habits.

I still have bad days and I still have slips, but overall I feel as if I’ve come to a place where I can see myself staying on this healthy path long term.

Anyway, just wanted to share a bit of my journey in the hopes that it helps someone going through something similar :)
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Any other readers here? If so, what are you reading?

I just finished Meg by Steve Alten. The movie is coming next month and I hate reading after the movie (my imagination has no budget or technical limitations so it's always best experienced in my head first). Loved it!

Now going back to the Sanguinist series by James Rollins. I read the whole Sigma Force series last year and found the first book in this series earlier in the year and loved it. Happy to have found the second one.
  • AnEndlessSkye
    Options
    Reading Ancillary Justice. Sci-fi genre.
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Reading Ancillary Justice. Sci-fi genre.

Oooh, that looks good!!!
  • melichalupa
    Options
    I am readig ridiculously ridiculous romance novels from the dollar store. I laugh so much and everyone makes fun of me. ✌️😊😂😂😂
  • AnEndlessSkye
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I am approaching the half-way point of my 13.1 training plan.

Feeling good overall but I am definitely having issues with the mentality aspect. Long runs especially leaves a lot of time for my brain to go through the “you can’t do this. This is too much...” type of thinking and it makes it rough at times. Some days I feel like giving up, I just want to eat junk and sit on the couch and not run 13.1 miles. Even though this is my 3rd time signing up for a half marathon I still struggle with self doubt a lot. On these days I just gotta tell myself “one more mile. You’ve done this before. One more mile”. Every time I finish a run I make sure to take a moment to enjoy it. Every ache, the sweat, the racing heartbeat, it’s all as a result of me winning over those mental battles. When I step on the scale and see the numbers go down, it’s a reminder that I can do this. That this is leading to a healthier life.

If you’re going through self-doubt, keep pushing. Bask in your small victories and keep going. If I can do it there’s no reason why you can’t. Good luck!
  • jugar
    Options
    This message comes right at a good moment, @AnEndlessSkye - I took a long hike on a hot day yesterday, and the self talk had a lot of "you are not up to this" and the fear it rode in on. Thanks for the reminder to push through with the small victories. Today I'm not sore, and more determined to keep going. B)
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    @AnEndlessSkye you CAN do it! Thanks for your support with my attempt at getting to a little 5km! That inner voice can be a >:)
  • AnEndlessSkye
    Options
    Congrats @jugar for getting through your hike! That’s awesome to hear :)

And YAY @am_change keep going, getting out there is the toughest part, in my experience.
  • strongkater
    strongkater Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have a hard time “seeing” themselves? Like I see myself in a photo and am like whoa that is not me... I can figure out what I really look like. Perhaps it’s more important what I “feel” like...
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,050 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have a hard time “seeing” themselves? Like I see myself in a photo and am like whoa that is not me... I can figure out what I really look like. Perhaps it’s more important what I “feel” like...

Yes, me too, sometimes, particularly if I’m wearing make-up and/or new clothing.

I have more difficulty “deciding” if I’m fat or thin. I’ve lost 64 lbs & sometimes I feel thin (particularly in the morning) and occasionally I can feel as though I’ve lost nothing.

I’m realizing that I should have kept a couple of pieces of clothing from my high weight. Yesterday, I found a pair of sweats I’d saved as winter PJ’s and was shocked/pleased by how loose they were.

My BMI is now 24.5, so I’m going to continue to lose (4.8 lbs) until it’s 23.9, and reassess then.

I’ve also spent more time in front of mirror to help me adjust my view of myself in my own mind!

I’m also contemplating purchasing The Body Image Workbook. I was introduced to little of it, and I found it very helpful.
  • AnEndlessSkye
    Options
    Best of luck everyone for the future! I will be checking out other challenges that are a bit more interactive but I did enjoy the people that I did get to chat with here this month!

Stay strong and take care :)