Fun 5Ks/fitness events

Options
Clhumpal
Clhumpal Posts: 38 Member
Just signed up for the 5K at Reclaimed Rails Brewery in a couple of weeks - is anyone signed up (or planning to sign up) for any fun fitness events coming up?

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where the Reclaimed Rails Brewery is located, but I live in SW Iowa. As for running, I did a ton of shorter local fun runs and races - 5K's, 10K's, a 6.5 mile, a 12K trail, and a couple of HM's - all over IA, MO, KS, NE and even one of the HM's in MT (vacation).

I decided this year to stop doing all those shorter races and focus more on the longer events. There are a couple of shorter events that I still participated in this year. But I did something like 17 of these last year vs. 2 of them this year. The 2 I chose were a nearby 10K and a nearby 5K trail run.

For future events this year, the next is here in Iowa and I plan to travel for the others:

9/8/18 - Wabash Trace Nature Trail Marathon (Malvern, IA to Shenandoah, IA)
    10/19-10/20 - Ragnar Trail Hill Country - TX (Relay - not signed up yet as I'm working out some logistics, but I have type 1 diabetes and plan to join a team of fellow diabetics)
    11/19 - Route 66 Marathon - Tulsa, OK (I plan to do the Center of the Universe detour to make it technically an ultra-marathon... the world's shortest ultra-marathon)
  • Clhumpal
    Options
    wow! you're getting some miles in :) Reclaimed Rails is in Bondurant, near Des Moines - I'm doing the Driftless Half from Harper's Ferry to Lansing (far NE corner of IA) in October
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I have been to Harper's Ferry for hiking - Effigy Mounds and Yellow River are both neat spots in NE Iowa.
  • Clhumpal
    Options
    I grew up in that corner of the state (Spillville) - love kayaking/canoeing on the Upper Iowa/ Yellow River/Turkey River - it's gorgeous up there
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    So I take it that the HM there is going to hit some of those hills? That would be pretty neat! Can you believe some people think Iowa is flat?!

I have a friend, met online, who is also a type 1 diabetic and an ultrarunner. He is from Texas and ran the Capital to Coast relay by himself (Austin, TX to Corpus Christi, TX). In June, he ran the Iowa Relay solo (across the state from west to east). I got a chance to go up and run a few miles with him as he was in the western part of the state. Since I have similar medical challenges and this guy runs a whole lot more miles, it was a great opportunity to share best practices. Anyway, he also noticed Iowa has hills as he ran across.